Sign in to follow this  
cheya

When the left brain switches "Off"

Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor had a stroke, offering a unique opportunity to study her own brain function. The stroke was in her left brain, leaving right brain function pretty much intact. Her report is fascinating for those interested in how our brains influence perception of energy and every day reality.

Exerpt from transcript:

"And I lost my balance and I'm propped up against the wall. And I look down at my arm and I realize that I can no longer define the boundaries of my body. I can't define where I begin and where I end. Because the atoms and the molecules of my arm blended with the atoms and molecules of the wall. And all I could detect was this energy. Energy. And I'm asking myself, "What is wrong with me, what is going on?" And in that moment, my brain chatter, my left hemisphere brain chatter went totally silent. Just like someone took a remote control and pushed the mute button and -- total silence.

And at first I was shocked to find myself inside of a silent mind. But then I was immediately captivated by the magnificence of energy around me. And because I could no longer identify the boundaries of my body, I felt enormous and expansive. I felt at one with all the energy that was, and it was beautiful there."

Watch the video: (Recorded February 2008 in Monterey, California. Duration: 18:44.)

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229

transcript link:

http://blog.ted.com/2008/03/jill_bolte_tayl.php#more

Here's a review of her Lulu book: "Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story of recovery and awareness -- of how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another. "

Yust saw a docu where a guy's left brainside got shutdown in a lab for 1 hour by sending heavy magnetic pulses for 15 minutes, he suddenly started acting like the guy in rainman fe: he could count over 180 dots on a page in 1 second and could draw a figure of a horse very nice and creatively while normally he draws as a 5 year old lol.

Impressive :)

Sign in to follow this