tapani

Nondual seeker doing some energy work on the side

Hello! I've been involved in quite intense practice of spirituality aiming towards nondual realization for the last couple of years (meditation, trying to maintain "witness consciousness" as much as possible etc). On this path, I also stumbled on repressed emotions, energetic blockages, bodily contractions etc, and am currently experiencing quite intense and "restless" energy my body most of the time.

For these reasons, I've also gotten involved in both different kinds of psychological work, as well as energy work. The energy work part of this path is primarily why I'm here. I've done different kinds of energy work (e.g. tai chi, reiki, different forms of qi gong) in the past, and in general not had much benefit or even effect from most of them. Quite recently I did some kundalini yoga (mostly Sat Kriya daily), and at least this seemed to have a bit more effect than most of the others. One of the possible effects was that I seemed to develop a back pain. :lol: Eventually I felt that that probably wasn't the ideal practice for me, perhaps too forceful or otherwise not the best fit currently.

I stumbled upon a criticism of kundalini yoga from a qi gong perspective, where it was claimed that K.Y. focuses too much on raising the energy, whereas including also downwards movement would be beneficial to many, as is the case with most qi gong, e.g. with the "microcosmic orbit". This felt intuitively like it might be useful for me, so I started to look into qi gong again a bit more. After random connections, I ended up finding a thread here that recommended Flying Phoenix qi gong, and then got the first DVDs. 

So, long story short, I've now started practicing the Flying Phoenix qi gong from the first DVD as a kind of supplemental / adjunct part of my general nonduality path. The DVD leaves some things unclear (e.g. what kind of short daily practice routine would be recommended for 10-20 min per day), so first thing I want to do is to start reading the apparently massive thread (which I saw mentioned at TaichiMania website) at:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?hl= flying phoenix chi kung 

Probably in the beginning I won't be posting very much, as I assume that most of my questions have probably already been asked and answered in that thread... 

• Like 3

Welcome to the Dao Bums.  A wonderful forum to learn, discuss and cultivate.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and make some friend along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads asking questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

I don't know if there's a path without criticism.  In truth anything powerful will have some danger.  We don't have to play with fire, but we can use it.  Anyhow, Flying Phoenix is a great art.  Pages and pages of information on it here.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Michael and the TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tapani said:

Hello! I've been involved in quite intense practice of spirituality aiming towards nondual realization for the last couple of years (meditation, trying to maintain "witness consciousness" as much as possible etc). On this path, I also stumbled on repressed emotions, energetic blockages, bodily contractions etc, and am currently experiencing quite intense and "restless" energy my body most of the time.

For these reasons, I've also gotten involved in both different kinds of psychological work, as well as energy work. The energy work part of this path is primarily why I'm here. I've done different kinds of energy work (e.g. tai chi, reiki, different forms of qi gong) in the past, and in general not had much benefit or even effect from most of them. Quite recently I did some kundalini yoga (mostly Sat Kriya daily), and at least this seemed to have a bit more effect than most of the others. One of the possible effects was that I seemed to develop a back pain. :lol: Eventually I felt that that probably wasn't the ideal practice for me, perhaps too forceful or otherwise not the best fit currently.

I stumbled upon a criticism of kundalini yoga from a qi gong perspective, where it was claimed that K.Y. focuses too much on raising the energy, whereas including also downwards movement would be beneficial to many, as is the case with most qi gong, e.g. with the "microcosmic orbit". This felt intuitively like it might be useful for me, so I started to look into qi gong again a bit more. After random connections, I ended up finding a thread here that recommended Flying Phoenix qi gong, and then got the first DVDs. 

So, long story short, I've now started practicing the Flying Phoenix qi gong from the first DVD as a kind of supplemental / adjunct part of my general nonduality path. The DVD leaves some things unclear (e.g. what kind of short daily practice routine would be recommended for 10-20 min per day), so first thing I want to do is to start reading the apparently massive thread (which I saw mentioned at TaichiMania website) at:

http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?hl= flying phoenix chi kung 

Probably in the beginning I won't be posting very much, as I assume that most of my questions have probably already been asked and answered in that thread... 

Hi ! Nobody else than a teacher will be able to give you feedbacks here. It does matter :)

Besides I think group practice is useful it helps feeling to be to be part of something and provide some grounding to the training.

Most importantly feel welcome here !

• Like 1