SeekingSilence

'Wafu' Spirit Healing

Years ago, I saw a praying mantis master in a BBC special do some kind of spirit healing for a back pain problem.

I recently stumbled upon the video again: 

The healing bit starts at about the 4m10s mark.

Is anyone familiar with this specific art? I don't recall seeing this elsewhere.

Anyone had personal experience with this art and its lineage? Besides these masters, is this taught elsewhere in the world?

Edited by SeekingSilence
  • Like 1

There are variations of this method within different lineages. A talismanic fu is created and empowered through mantra before being burnt and the ashes added to water.

Drinking this water transfers the energetic information from the fu into the body.

Generally this kind of art is not passed down to non-initiates.

• Like 3

It's interesting how the fella receiving the treatment commented that the floor seemed to undulate (5:30) as the pain was going away. Damo Mitchell talks about direct experience of "vibratory information," even as a mechanism for non-spiritual minded people to grasp what might be going on here. http://www.scholarsage.com/daoist-talismanic-fu-符/

Within the esoteric Daoist tradition the ‘Fu’ was taken out between the practitioner and the realm of Heaven, the abode of the immortals. This contract enabled the skilled Daoist practitioner to utilise the power of Dao (道) to establish a directed form of transmission into the talisman. This transmission would serve to change the quality of Qi within it’s immediate vicinity which would then in turn generate a shift within the realm of manifestation. It can be thought of a placing a type of vibrational information into the symbol itself which then sends this vibratory information out into the energy of the surrounding area. This information then causes a change within the ‘flow of life’ or ‘Ming (命), this change could be to affect either an area, an event or the Ming of a specific person.

A true Fu can only be generated by a practitioner who is able to enter into the correct meditative state. By taking their consciousness to a point of compete stillness they connect to the point at which Dao comes forth into the realm of conscious manifestation. Entering this state is challenging enough but remaining in this state can be even more difficult. For many practitioners it is a challenge to get to this point but even more difficult is retaining a certain degree of mental focus at the same time. The tendency for intermediate level practitioners is for the entering into this state to come with a complete dissolving of the mind; a temporary state which results in a complete stilling of all conscious activity. With the potential for controlled focus lost, there is no way for any kind of vibrational information to be generated within this space. It is this information which must be created by the practitioner if they wish to empower a Fu. The correct balance of stillness and focus is a high level attainment.

For myself I came from a point of viewing the Fu as out-dated superstition but as my comprehension of the power of vibratory information increased through alchemy training I began to understand how they could work. Now I have Fu around my living and training spaces as well several that are tattooed onto my body. These symbols are there to adjust facets of my nature as well as to change aspects of my health. For me they are an adjunct to the Daoist internal process and an interesting aspect of an arcane tradition that hails back to its Shamanic roots. It is the nature of all societies to view those in the past as more ‘primitive’ and less ‘advanced’ when in actual fact it seems to me that the mind-set was just very different.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nintendao said:

It's interesting how the fella receiving the treatment commented that the floor seemed to undulate (5:30) as the pain was going away. Damo Mitchell talks about direct experience of "vibratory information," even as a mechanism for non-spiritual minded people to grasp what might be going on here. http://www.scholarsage.com/daoist-talismanic-fu-符/

For the last 35 years I have often perceived changes in the vibrations around me, quite often it has been visual.  I have gotten to the point now, where I just use it as a monitor, alerting myself to changes around me or in me and sometimes both.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2020 at 8:24 PM, Nintendao said:

Fascinating, @Nintendao! While explained as a spirit in the video clip, the idea of 'vibratory information' was a new perspective of this phenomenon on me. Thanks for sharing the link and passage. Will definitely need to study this more in-depth to better understand.

• Like 1

You / ('Yu') can also invite the praying mantis by embodying the form of the desired Fu

Then she will recoil your back, and the silk worm will spiral unaverted:

image.png.a5db2ca1eeb3d3bf8167ac4ad82ea9f6.png