de_paradise

buddha pyhsiology question.

So why are buddhas and certain high level monks ears so long? Does the chi drip out of them. I googled it but people generally think its just symbolic, but I know its some kind of cultivation phenomenon.

So why are buddhas and certain high level monks ears so long? Does the chi drip out of them. I googled it but people generally think its just symbolic, but I know its some kind of cultivation phenomenon.

Β 

In Chinese Medicine ears are associated with kidneys and therefore wisdom, will, and Jing. Cultivation requires and develops these. Still, I'm not sure that would lead to your ears actually getting bigger.

Β 

Long term pulling or earring wearing as a method of cultivation? Just pulling on my ears right now seems to affect the area that connects my third eye and crown chakras. Hmm.

In Chinese Medicine ears are associated with kidneys and therefore wisdom, will, and Jing. Cultivation requires and develops these. Still, I'm not sure that would lead to your ears actually getting bigger.

Β 

Long term pulling or earring wearing as a method of cultivation? Just pulling on my ears right now seems to affect the area that connects my third eye and crown chakras. Hmm.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Actually cultivation of the Buddha Dharma will result in a change of physique. Ears get thicker, longer, head

becomes different...very apparent, also the face changes shape as well.

Β 

It is like this with Daoism too. Just that one has to cultivate that which results in Pure wisdom, and compassion.

Some other cultivations lead one to begin resembling the being who teaches such methods, or even the reality in which the teachings come from.

Β 

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

There's actually about forty "external signs of buddhahood," if I remember correctly. You are supposed to be born with them if you're destined for buddhahood. Among them:

hair growing in a certain direction (clockwise from the top, not counterclockwise), "wheels under feet" (apparently high arches? no flat-footed buddhas?), and a whole bunch of specific proportions to the body that might have something to do with the golden ratio. And specific birthmarks on the body and on the head that people in the know would recognize as the required signs.

Β 

I think the best method to cultivate those earlobes would be to wear extra heavy earrings, the way Gautama did in his millionaire's son happy days. Very chunky, very large, very obnoxious. If you can afford them and aren't too shy about wearing them persistently, I'm pretty sure you might get similar results. :)

There's actually about forty "external signs of buddhahood," if I remember correctly. You are supposed to be born with them if you're destined for buddhahood. Among them:

hair growing in a certain direction (clockwise from the top, not counterclockwise), "wheels under feet" (apparently high arches? no flat-footed buddhas?), and a whole bunch of specific proportions to the body that might have something to do with the golden ratio. And specific birthmarks on the body and on the head that people in the know would recognize as the required signs.

Β 

So Lin, this is a result of cultivation practice? I know flat feet through little cultivation can become arched again, mine did. I've seen the transformation that happens to a man's head who has undergone neigong cultivation for yang spirit travel, he looks like one of the fellows in Daoist temple murals with a bump on his forehead. Of course the mural dramatizes the bump so it looks much bigger. I suppose it stands to reason then that every part of the body may change. A clockwise hair growth would indicate long term powerful crown chakra activation.

Β 

(on a somewhat related tangent I had a teacher who did energetic healing at the oregon state fair one year. A man came who had a leg 4 inches shorter than the other. My teacher asked about it and he said his whole family had it going back generations. Just a genetic thing. She asked if she could work on it and he of course thought, "alright crazy newage nut doesn't believe in heredity." However after an over an hour she finished and his legs were the same length. Needless to say he became very emotional. She ended up later treating the rest of his family. Here was an instance of energetic heredity, in the way that children generally acting like their parents when they get older. Now this didn't involve actual reshaping of the tissues, just sorting out torsion, but as the energetic body is a blueprint for the physical, I am particularly intrigued my the effect of long term cultivation).

Β 

Very interesting.

Β 

Could you please list some other physical characteristics?

The 32 Marks of a Buddha:

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 Well-supported feet. Firm undertaking

2 Wheels arise beneath the sole of the feet. Great retinues

3 The heels are projecting. Long life

4 The fingers and toes are long. Long life

5 The hands and feet are soft and tender. Well-united with people

6 The hands and feet are net-like. Well-united with people

7 The ankles are raised like conch shells. Becomes the best

8 The lower part of the leg is like an antelope's. Gets the best things quickly

9 He can touch and rub around his knees with both palms, while tanding, and without bending. Great wealth

10 The part which should be concealed by garments, is covered by a bag. Many sons

11 The skin shines like gold. Get finest furnishings and garments

12 Subtle skin: dirt and sweat do not stick to his body. Great wisdom

13 Single hairs arise, one to each pore. Well-respected

14 The hair pointing upwards; dark, black in colour, turning in rings to the right. Becomes the best

15 The frame is straight like Brahma. Long life

16 There are seven outflows on his hands, on his feet, at the tips of the shoulders, and at the top of the back. Obtains excellent foods

17 The upper part of the body is lion-like. No loss

18 The hollow between his shoulders is filled. No loss

19 The body is proportionate: the body is as long as the span of the arms. Great wealth

20 The shoulders are evenly rounded . No loss

21 He releases the highest of tastes. Very healthy

22 The jaw is lion-like. He cannot be overthrown.

23 There are forty teeth. The assemblies cannot be divided.

24 The teeth are even. Pure retinues

25 The teeth are undivided. The assemblies cannot be divided.

26 The visible teeth are very white. Pure retinues

27 A mighty tongue. His words are heeded.

28 The voice of Brahma and also resembles the song of a karavika bird. His words are heeded.

29 The eyes are very blue. Attractive look

30 The Eyelashes are like those of a cow. Attractive look

31 The filament between the eyebrows is white like soft cotton. Well-respected

32 The head is turban-crowned. Many followers

Β 

So Lin, this is a result of cultivation practice?

Β 

Β 

These can be manifest from cultivation yes. Ears can change, head, face, body, everything can change to

fit a higher level of consciousness, wisdom.

Β 

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Awesome, thanks. I can see some parallels between cultivation practices already.

Β 

P.S. Wouldn't #9 and #19 be geometrically impossible? I mean if your hands could touch your knees standing, you'd have one heck of an arm span!

Edited by 松永道

Awesome, thanks. I can see some parallels between cultivation practices already.

Β 

P.S. Wouldn't #9 and #19 be geometrically impossible? I mean if your hands could touch your knees standing, you'd have one heck of an arm span!

Number nine might mean balance -- he can stand on one foot in order to rub his knee without bending?

Β 

By the way, Cognitive Enhancement/Life Extension people have their own set of "biomarkers of aging" that include the time you can stand on one foot with your eyes closed without falling over. If you can stand like that with perfect stability for over a minute, your biological age is in the 20s, and if you can do no more than 10 seconds, in the 70s, regardless of your calendar age. This is definitely cultivation material -- a taiji buff (e.g.) will find it quite easy to accomplish.

Β 

Number twelve is also used in homeopathy -- a whole host of disorders can be pinpointed in people who get dirty easily (particularly kids) regardless of how little actual contact with dirty objects they have and no matter how much they wash. Skin, nails and hair that tend to retain dirt are indicative of poor defense mechanisms in general and weak immunity in particular.

Β 

If you're interested in these things, look into taoist face reading practices -- the face is an open book, if you know what you're looking at...

Β 

You know about torsions! :) I only read Russian research on torsion fields -- is that what you're referring to, or something else?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Well, my Taiji Quan Sifu actually has long arms, and his finger tips come right to the top of his knee.

He does cultivate, but specifically Qigong/Neigong. He was born with that physique though. ^_^

Β 

Peace,

Lin

Well, my Taiji Quan Sifu actually has long arms, and his finger tips come right to the top of his knee.

He does cultivate, but specifically Qigong/Neigong. He was born with that physique though. ^_^

Β 

Peace,

Lin

My brother-in-law also has arms that reach to his knees, and could always sit in full lotus with no cultivation whatsoever. He's a very nice guy though, a heart of rare purity -- naturally. But he does look a bit like a very well-educated gorilla because of those arms (covered with thick fur to boot, although it never occurred to me to check whether those hairs grow "one per pore" as Buddha specs require. :lol: )

My brother-in-law also has arms that reach to his knees, and could always sit in full lotus with no cultivation whatsoever. He's a very nice guy though, a heart of rare purity -- naturally. But he does look a bit like a very well-educated gorilla because of those arms (covered with thick fur to boot, although it never occurred to me to check whether those hairs grow "one per pore" as Buddha specs require. :lol: )

Β 

Β 

No cultivation in this life, but of course in the past there was..lol

Β 

Things of this sort just don't "happen" just for the sake of it. It is all influenced. :D

Β 

haha

Β 

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Β 

I think you might find that having long ears like that is a vestige of the heavy jewelry he supposedly wore before renunciation. Having stretched the ears to that point they never return to normal therafter, thus such an image would mark him as once being a prince or at least an aristocrat, as by tradition, a Buddha must always come from an aristocratic background ie a Kashatriya.

Β 

As for the 36 marks of a Buddha if one should read them with any seriousness one could only come to the conclusion that a Buddha would be somewhat deformed. Ive always been struck by the size of the tongue which must be large enough to lick his whole face and his ears LOL - which if such marks are actualy literal might suggest a Buddha/Sage would be a cow LOL - certainly a Buddha could never be a North European blond Scandinavian LOL.

Β 

Mindfully

Syn

Β 

I think you might find that having long ears like that is a vestige of the heavy jewelry he supposedly wore before renunciation. Having stretched the ears to that point they never return to normal therafter, thus such an image would mark him as once being a prince or at least an aristocrat, as by tradition, a Buddha must always come from an aristocratic background ie a Kashatriya.

Β 

As for the 36 marks of a Buddha if one should read them with any seriousness one could only come to the conclusion that a Buddha would be somewhat deformed. Ive always been struck by the size of the tongue which must be large enough to lick his whole face and his ears LOL - which if such marks are actualy literal might suggest a Buddha/Sage would be a cow LOL - certainly a Buddha could never be a North European blond Scandinavian LOL.

Β 

Mindfully

Syn

The tongue can be (and is supposed to be) extended on purpose in serious yoga practices, which predate Buddhism by thousands of years. The rationale behind the practice is the holographic correspondence between the tongue and the whole body. A very pliable tongue translates into a very soft and supple (sung, in Chinese terms) body -- and a matching personality. Some yogis roll it over a stick daily and pull gently (or not) to gradually lengthen it. There's taoist practices for the tongue as well, e.g. rolling it in a spiral against the upper palate to replicate the fetal position of the body with the tongue, and "reach to heaven" (the upper palate is thought of as the "celestial" part of the mouth, and the usual position of the tip of the tongue right behind the upper teeth in meditation practices of many traditions is meant to, among other things, connect the earthly and heavenly aspects of the individual). I once met a very old, very healthy and vigorous man who told me the upward spiral rolling of the tongue was his secret.

Β 

I have a book published in China on tongue diagnostics, with hundreds of photographs of all kinds of things that can go wrong with the tongue and explanations as to what they mean for the whole body and what to do about them. Many unwell tongues in this book are short, stubby, chubby, tense, dense, swollen, asymmetrical, and so on, but not one of them is "too long." So, all things considered, I don't think Buddha would be deformed if he had a long, mobile, pliable tongue.

Strange thing happened to me some months back. A kind of force took over my tongue and tried to put it in a certain way, like an "s" shape, folded and pleated--and put that beyond the upper palate to that cavern behind it, and that area would make room for it by receding and deepening. But my tongue kept slipping out of the position it wanted, and the force made my tongue go throufgh calisthetics front to back, and repeating, to make it more flexible to hold that position so far back; my tongue got pretty tired and streched out and I stopped that session. That took about 2 hours and hasnt happened since. I felt a bit frustrated like I had let not be able to bring my tongue to the place the force intended it to.

Β 

It is said in the Buddhist School, that having a long tongue signifies many lifetimes of not lying.

Peace,

Lin

More than the physical appearance I would bring up he internal changes experienced in the yogi's body:

Β 

1. Less need of food

Β 

2. Less need of sex (which eventually won't be required at all)

Β 

3. Decreased sleep but improved quality sleep time

Β 

4. Immune system is strengthened

Β 

5. Aging process is slowed down

Β 

6. Resistance against pollution, chemical toxins, diseases, food alteration, etc.

Β 

7. Perception of reality due to changes in brain structure. Generally speaking the cranium itself gets bigger due to this factor.

Β 

8. Strengthening and improvement in the flow of the life force.

Β 

8. Siddhis

Β 

Β 

From the physical point of view, I have experienced sinus enlargement, changes in the hand lines and back and spinal column (very Yang).

Β 

I know a martial artist, Alex Kozma, who believes was poisoned in Thailand with thallium. A normal person would have died right away.He was ill for six months his health is slowly getting back to normal. 22 years of Internal Martial Arts practice and Buddhist meditation did obviously help.

Β 

Β 

Some interesting info in here:

Β 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_Meditation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preksha_Meditation (similar to Buddhist Vipassana)

Β 

As you can read Buddhism is an evolute of Jainism.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Strange thing happened to me some months back. A kind of force took over my tongue and tried to put it in a certain way, like an "s" shape, folded and pleated--and put that beyond the upper palate to that cavern behind it, and that area would make room for it by receding and deepening. But my tongue kept slipping out of the position it wanted, and the force made my tongue go throufgh calisthetics front to back, and repeating, to make it more flexible to hold that position so far back; my tongue got pretty tired and streched out and I stopped that session. That took about 2 hours and hasnt happened since. I felt a bit frustrated like I had let not be able to bring my tongue to the place the force intended it to.

Β 

Β 

When conditions have enough momentum, the energy of the function begins to kick in.

Β 

Fun Stuff. ^_^

Β 

Peace,

Lin