Sign in to follow this  
steve

Run off poll for book club selection

Run-off poll for second book club selection  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which book would you rather discuss?

• Revealing the Tao Te Ching: In-depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic by Hu Xuezhi
    • To Be Human by Jiddu Krishnamurti

There have been a grand total of 5 votes for the next book and there is a tie.

I thought we would do a run-off poll for the tied books.

I'm surprised at how little interest there seems to be in the book club.

Hopefully, things will pick up a bit.

I'll let this run-off poll run until Thursday.

There have been a grand total of 5 votes for the next book and there is a tie.
I thought we would do a run-off poll for the tied books.
I'm surprised at how little interest there seems to be in the book club.
Hopefully, things will pick up a bit.
I'll let this run-off poll run until Thursday.

Hi Steve,
There may be a difference between being interested in a discussion and being extremely interested in discussing a particular book. The process of voting might be draining the energy of people who really want to talk about a particular book, and not necessarily one that anybody else is interested in...yet! Maybe there'd be more participation if a person who really wanted to discuss a book just started a thread on it, describing the book, why he wants to discuss it, and what his interest in the discussion is. (Not that TTB discussions ever go the way the person starting it might anticipate!). Send up a trial balloon on a book topic, and see if it flies!

Seems like the process of voting dampens the energy available from a person's interest in particular books, which may be the real interest/motivation/energy that actually fuels discussion. You could try taking the voting out of it and just find ways to facilitate individual passion/obsession with a particular book lead and direct the process.

Hi Steve,

There may be a difference between being interested in a discussion and being extremely interested in discussing a particular book. The process of voting might be draining the energy of people who really want to talk about a particular book, and not necessarily one that anybody else is interested in...yet! Maybe there'd be more participation if a person who really wanted to discuss a book just started a thread on it, describing the book, why he wants to discuss it, and what his interest in the discussion is. (Not that TTB discussions ever go the way the person starting it might anticipate!). Send up a trial balloon on a book topic, and see if it flies!

Seems like the process of voting dampens the energy available from a person's interest in particular books, which may be the real interest/motivation/energy that actually fuels discussion. You could try taking the voting out of it and just find ways to facilitate individual passion/obsession with a particular book lead and direct the process.

Adeha

Hi Adeha,

Thanks very much for your input.

I created a topic called Book Chat which is specifically for individuals who want to discuss books other than the "group" selection.

Another option would be to create a topic for each book that individuals would like to discuss as you have suggested. I'd be happy to give that a try to see how it works.

Let's try this - anyone who wants to lead or initiate a discussion on a particular book that they find of value will be asked to post the book information (title, author, brief description) in the Book Chat topic. I will then create a separate topic for that book to be used for further discussion.

Does that sound like something worth trying to everyone?

Should we abandon the selection of a "book club" group selection altogether? It certainly isn't getting much attention on the forum and I agree that the whole selection process seems to be taking some of the fun out of the venture. Adeha's suggestion may work better for the variety of interests on the forum.

Thanks again Adeha!

Please give me some feedback everyone.

:)

Thanks to everyone who voted.

We have chosen Revealing the Tao Te Ching: In-depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic by Hu Xuezhi for the next book club book.

Just a reminder to everyone interested that we plan to begin discussing Revealing the Tao Te Ching: In-depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic by Hu Xuezhi around the beginning of May.

thanks!

Just a reminder to everyone interested that we plan to begin discussing Revealing the Tao Te Ching: In-depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic by Hu Xuezhi around the beginning of May.

thanks!

My book should arrive 22/04. I used Fishpond this time. I'll see if this book gets lost in the post :)

Okay I am new here as some of you know and would like to start the book club as soon as possible. I am reading all the post in thie sub forum and was not sure if we are going to stick to the polling system or so the other method. I was wondering if we knew yet. I would like to get in on the polling system, I think it will open us up to more books and ones that we may not have read, even heard of, or given a fair chance in the past.

What if we suggested books for the poll and then you choice the top two or three and posted those for the poll. I may be mistaken but I do not see a poll for June's book yet and was wondering if anyone had thought about it much.

Okay I am new here as some of you know and would like to start the book club as soon as possible. I am reading all the post in thie sub forum and was not sure if we are going to stick to the polling system or so the other method. I was wondering if we knew yet. I would like to get in on the polling system, I think it will open us up to more books and ones that we may not have read, even heard of, or given a fair chance in the past.

What if we suggested books for the poll and then you choice the top two or three and posted those for the poll. I may be mistaken but I do not see a poll for June's book yet and was wondering if anyone had thought about it much.

Please take a look at this thread

I've just pinned it for future reference.

Best regards

Edited by xuesheng

Sign in to follow this