SirPalomides

Paintings you like

I used to be a painter myself, but gave it up to pursue a deeper understanding of religion.  I always thought id get back to it, but I havent.  Back then I liked modern expressionism/abstract expressionism, but since then Ive grown to appreciate more classical art.  My friend was in Europe at a museum and sent me a photo of a painting of the gods and the demons waging war with an older fatherly figure in the center holding the crucified Christ.  I really like that one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

I used to be a painter myself, but gave it up to pursue a deeper understanding of religion. 

What led you to think that you had to give up art to pursue a deeper understanding of religion?

Edited by SirPalomides
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

What led you to think that you had to give up art to pursue a deeper understanding of religion?

I experienced a series of supernatural events that led me on a quest.  I didnt have to give up art, but the quest became all consuming, and left me with a lot of ideas, but no answers that satisfy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

My friend was in Europe at a museum and sent me a photo of a painting of the gods and the demons waging war with an older fatherly figure in the center holding the crucified Christ.  I really like that one.

This is probably not the painting you saw but your description reminds me of this one by Gustave Dore:

The_Triumph_Of_Christianity_Over_Paganism.Gustave_Dor%C3%A9.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SirPalomides said:

Empire Strikes Back meets... Come and See?

I don't know, I've never seen Empire Strikes Back, and Come and See only when it was first released in the mid-80s, so I don't remember it all that well (don't tell the director's son though, he's a friend and since his both parents were extremely talented movie directors, he sort of expects everyone to revere their every film as much as he does.)  How come you know Soviet art so well? 

It's actually typical Rozalski -- fantastic scenes of fantastic wars with scrambled timelines, and an occasional nod to the stylistics of video games.  And even a protagonist I almost considered for my avatar on this site. ))  But here my timelines are a bit scrambled, so I decided against it.

jakub-rozalski-olga-concept-art01-sh1.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Taomeow said:

How come you know Soviet art so well? 

I really don't, I just saw Come and See a few years ago, when it was playing at a special art house theater near me. Apart from that I've seen a little Tarkovsky and Eisenstein and maybe one or two other things.

• Like 1

I feel that William Blake was an under-appreciated painter and poet.

The Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed with the Sun, 1803 - 1805 - William Blake

The Red Dragon and the Woman Clothed with the Sun

William Blake 1804

Edited by moment
  • Like 6

Slug by Nagasawa Rosetsu (長沢芦雪, Japanese painter of the Maruyama School, 1754–1799) , 18th-century (Edo period)

2B615E09-3501-4DD3-88D2-D2B4338F5B98.jpeg

• Like 9

This by one of my favorite contemporary artists -- Bijay Biswaal --

wet-platform-green-bijay-biswaal.jpg

Edited by dwai
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Wang Yiguang

Image may contain: one or more people

A search on this artist led me down an entire rabbit hole of amazing images. Thank you. ( Bow )

• Thanks 1