SirPalomides

Paintings you like

maxresdefault.jpg

The Queen of Sheba visits King Solomon

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

in a word, chiaroscuro.

Defined as the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition.

Caravaggio's Judith beheading Holofernes

300px-Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_-_Cara

compare to what is said to possibly be his second edition

300px-Caravaggio_-_Judith_and_Holopherne

and then by Gentileschi

300px-Artemisia_Gentileschi_-_Judith_Beh

• Like 5

11 hours ago, dawei said:

in a word, chiaroscuro.

Defined as the use of strong contrasts between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition.

Caravaggio's Judith beheading Holofernes

300px-Judith_Beheading_Holofernes_-_Cara

compare to what is said to possibly be his second edition

300px-Caravaggio_-_Judith_and_Holopherne

and then by Gentileschi

300px-Artemisia_Gentileschi_-_Judith_Beh

I think I like Gentileschi’s best because she actually looks like she’s doing the tough work of sawing a man’s head off, whereas Caravaggio’s Judith is trying not to stain her dress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

I think I like Gentileschi’s best because she actually looks like she’s doing the tough work of sawing a man’s head off, whereas Caravaggio’s Judith is trying not to stain her dress.

Ahhhh ...  together we have the essence of womanhood ;

saw your head off ....  but be careful of not staining her dress

:D 

• Haha 1

Very nice, found this one

Albrecht-Altdorfer.jpg?fit=858,768&ssl=1

• Like 4

18 hours ago, moment said:

ec1bafce33089075c8263720022a8884.jpg

View of Toledo-- El Greco

El Greco is special in my book because his paintings are among the few phenomena in the world of art that kick-start synesthesia in me -- I can "hear" them.  Hard to describe how a visual image can cause one to hear a sound, but that's exactly what El Greco does for me.  It's not imagination.  I remember visiting a museum and, just wandering around gaping at this and that, suddenly hearing a subtle but unmistakable roar in my ears -- from two rooms away lined up in an enfilade, emanating from a small painting at the end of the second one.  I couldn't even see what was painted on it!  It pulled me like a magnet and I almost ran across two rooms, the roar in my ears getting louder.  When I approached it, turned out it was "presumed to be by an artist of El Greco school," it wasn't signed.  Ha!  Experts!  I could tell them it was definitely an El Greco!  I didn't know the word qi back then -- but even if I did, telling the experts that the qi of his paintings resonates with mine in such a way that I can't possibly mistake his brush for anyone else's wouldn't convince them. :D       

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Blake_Book_of_Job_Linell_set_16.jpg

' William Blake, The Fall of Satan '

• Like 6