SirPalomides

Paintings you like

I discovered Odilon Redon when coming across his paintings at the Musee d'Orsay.

This one is called Buddha in His Youth

Buddah-In-His-Youth.jpg?ts=1459229076

• Like 5

On 4/26/2020 at 3:05 AM, SirPalomides said:

From KY Kraft’s Beauty and the Beast

375ECF5B-CBFB-4D49-B824-B87832A869E7.jpeg

Thank you for making me aware of Kinuko Y Craft.  I had actually read several science fiction books with her illustrations and did not realise it.  I think I may buy this calendar.

71CSgovqOVL.jpg

• Like 5

Artist: Suzuki Harunobu (1725–1770)

Title: Young Woman Jumping from the Kiyomizu Temple Balcony with an Umbrella as a Parachute. 清水の舞台から飛び降りる女

Date: 1765 

9F6C8CE7-233F-4609-A6BF-8272D8CAFA6E.jpeg

• Like 5

Tuna Fishing by Dali

Tuna%20Fishing%20Salvador%20Dali.jpg

Looks like shit here ..... internet repros  !

Soooo different !    eg ;

cebb62c36880f1ba777babff2c7e33b7.jpg

This one is a littl better . The original is fantastic  - and huge , I got sucked in to the  rippled water at bottom left - no matter how close i looked on the original ... it seemed photographic .

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

Vasilissa the Beautiful (leaving Baba Yaga's hut) by Ivan Bilibin

Vasilisa the Beautiful - Wikipedia

Do you know the folk tale this picture illustrates?  For an extremely ancient story dating back to pre-history it's got uncanny technology in it.  The skulls can switch from emitting bright light out of their sockets to projecting military grade lasers.  The gate to Baba Yaga's domain is opened and closed by motion sensors.  Inside she operates three pairs of autonomous hands that go about cleaning like a Roomba and apparently also demolish all the trash on the molecular level (Baba Yaga explains it without explaining, by stating that she doesn't like to take the trash out of the house -- a play of words on the proverb "to take the trash out of the house" which means to reveal controversies and secrets to the outside world.)  And Vasilissa herself is in possession of a magical doll, the deathbed gift from her mother.  Also without an explanation of its origin but with operation instructions: the doll has to be fed, and then voice commanded to perform any task, which it accomplishes with uncanny speed and efficiency, like a very advanced robot.  When Baba Yaga discovers its existence, questions Vasilissa and gets a response that the doll is "a blessing from her mother," she kicks Vasilissa out immediately (without harming her) muttering that "those who have been thus blessed are not welcome here."  Apparently she is wary of the alien technology superior to what she herself is in possession of.

At least that's how I read it today -- when I first read it at the age of about 5, I had no idea.  All of it was just chalked up to "magic."  Most people would still read it on the level of that 5-year-old today :lol:.  But I've since developed a few doubts that all those magical fairy tales have nothing whatsoever to do with Arthur C. Clarke's assertion that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have read this and several Baba Yaga stories as collected by Afanasiev. I love fairy tales generally and the Russian ones are full of so much wonderful strangeness and humor.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Do you know the folk tale this picture illustrates?  For an extremely ancient story dating back to pre-history it's got uncanny technology in it.  The skulls can switch from emitting bright light out of their sockets to projecting military grade lasers.  The gate to Baba Yaga's domain is opened and closed by motion sensors.  Inside she operates three pairs of autonomous hands that go about cleaning like a Roomba and apparently also demolish all the trash on the molecular level (Baba Yaga explains it without explaining, by stating that she doesn't like to take the trash out of the house -- a play of words on the proverb "to take the trash out of the house" which means to reveal controversies and secrets to the outside world.)  And Vasilissa herself is in possession of a magical doll, the deathbed gift from her mother.  Also without an explanation of its origin but with operation instructions: the doll has to be fed, and then voice commanded to perform any task, which it accomplishes with uncanny speed and efficiency, like a very advanced robot.  When Baba Yaga discovers its existence, questions Vasilissa and gets a response that the doll is "a blessing from her mother," she kicks Vasilissa out immediately (without harming her) muttering that "those who have been thus blessed are not welcome here."  Apparently she is wary of the alien technology superior to what she herself is in possession of.

At least that's how I read it today -- when I first read it at the age of about 5, I had no idea.  All of it was just chalked up to "magic."  Most people would still read it on the level of that 5-year-old today :lol:.  But I've since developed a few doubts that all those magical fairy tales have nothing whatsoever to do with Arthur C. Clarke's assertion that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  

9 skulls / flying stars?

Can act as both markers/highlighters or vapourisors

Just about anything by Arthur Racham, especially his trees

The Tempest

rackham_tempest5.jpg?resize=680,927&ssl=

Woman in the Woods

arthurrackham_grimm00.jpg?fit=600,315&ss

The Trees and the Axe

827275.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I like some abstract and impressionist art, but never put art on my walls. I don't really know very many paintings or art, but If I did put art on my walls, I might put some like this up (just chose some I like after searching Google Images, to give an idea of what kind of art has impact for me) : 

memory.jpg

"Dali - The Persistence of Memory, 1931"  (I first saw this when I was young and thought the melting clocks were very cool)

%2527Haida+Raven+III%2527+Framed+Acrylic

"Haida Raven"

Tom-Thomson-In-The-Northland-1170x580.jp

"Tom Thomson - In The Northland"

Abstract-Painting1950-by-Lawren-Harris.j

"Abstract Painting,1950 by Lawren Stewart Harris"

Mondrian_TheGrayTree-large--57c733085f9b

"The Grey Tree, 1912, by Piet Mondrian" 

Even more modern stuff like this I think is nice, even if it it was created for more commercial purposes: 

modern-abstract-painting-red-peacock-in-

abstract-art-deco-seamless-pattern_42875

"Abstract art deco seamless pattern Premium Vector"

When you give people examples of what type of art you like, it gives them a window into your mind/soul...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iskote said:

I like some abstract and impressionist art, but never put art on my walls. I don't really know very many paintings or art, but If I did put art on my walls, I might put some like this up (just chose some I like after searching Google Images, to give an idea of what kind of art has impact for me) : 

memory.jpg

"Dali - The Persistence of Memory, 1931"  (I first saw this when I was young and thought the melting clocks were very cool)

%2527Haida+Raven+III%2527+Framed+Acrylic

"Haida Raven"

Tom-Thomson-In-The-Northland-1170x580.jp

"Tom Thomson - In The Northland"

Abstract-Painting1950-by-Lawren-Harris.j

"Abstract Painting,1950 by Lawren Stewart Harris"

Mondrian_TheGrayTree-large--57c733085f9b

"The Grey Tree, 1912, by Piet Mondrian" 

Even more modern stuff like this I think is nice, even if it it was created for more commercial purposes: 

modern-abstract-painting-red-peacock-in-

abstract-art-deco-seamless-pattern_42875

"Abstract art deco seamless pattern Premium Vector"

When you give people examples of what type of art you like, it gives them a window into your mind/soul...

Very good stuff.  Some of it iconic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mark said:

9 skulls / flying stars?

I doubt anyone in Russia knew any feng shui at the time the picture was painted (1899) -- perhaps with the exception of some resident Chinese.  

7 hours ago, mark said:

Can act as both markers/highlighters or vapourisors

In the tale they were used as night lights around the supernatural Baba Yaga's residence ("a hut on chicken legs," incidentally, which also responded to specific voice commands -- not just in this particular tale but in all others featuring this protagonist.  You had to say, "Hey, hut, turn your back to the forest and your front to me," and it did.  Or vice versa.)  But when Vasilissa was given one of the skulls and took it home to the evil stepmother and her two evil daughters (with a nod to Cinderella), it did vaporize them.  And she lived happily ever after.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bilibin._Baba_Yaga.jpg

" Baba Yaga as depicted by Ivan Bilibin, 1900 "

• Like 5