Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

How you filling your days?

Most of us are stuck home.  What y'all doing?  

I'm taking long walks.  We're going through food mysteriously fast, so I'm going to the grocery store ever 3rd day it seems.  Binge watching Community on Netflicks with one of my kids.  Trying to get another to play frisbee with me.

Not doing as much meditation or standing or chi gung as I'd like.  Or maybe thats a cop out.  I'm doing exactly as much as I'd like which is apparently little.   

• Like 2

I envy your long walks. 

It's been a month or more since I've gone outside for anything but groceries.   And since I really don't enjoy it, I do as much as possible and avoid it for as long as I can...

How do you like Community?  I worked on that show for almost six years from inception to end, still haven't watched it though...  But many on that crew and cast became like adopted family.  It was a very special group as hollywood crews go.  I loved working on it.  From writers to Laborers... that was a golden time in my career looking back.

We've been gaming a lot.  Mansions of Madness, Talisman and Ghost Stories (unique game where Taoist Sages team up to save a village from a Spirit invasion).  One thing in common for the board games we play is they are all cooperative.  But even that's slowed down the last week.

My son has been using the VR helmet again after a long hiatus.  Fun to watch on the screen, what he's seeing in VR.  And he and I have been teaming up in the latest Ghost Recon.  Pretending we're Geri and Freki in human form, sending folks to Valhalla.

I can't seem to crack a book.  Or rather, I can't seem to muster the mind to stick with it.  I read the words, but they don't sink into mind, just absorbed by the eyes and dissolve, so I've stopped picking those up for now.  Which is odd.  I used to live with a book at hand at all times.

Been watching more in the last two months than in the previous two years it seems...  Altered Carbon, American Gods are two recent views.  Undone was divertingly clever also.  Been wanting to watch Westworld due to some very impressive snippets (Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins) that revealed remarkable writing... but the setting (i despise Westerns) keeps putting me off.

Playing guitar a bit more, but not much.  Sorta like Qi Gong. 

Been painting and sketching again, nothing devoted, just getting lost in the colors and lines when I can. 

Last year I reskinned my Djembe drum with a nice thick goat skin, but since it's a synthetic drum, it has always had a very 'tinny' sound due to its entirely smooth interior.  As a result it didn't get played much.  So I decided to paint the skin, which can sometimes kill the sound when too thick, but as I wasn't playing it anyway, I went for it.  Turned out beautiful and also, the very thick paint I used seems to have fixed the tinny tone, so not only is it beautiful now, I'm enjoying it's warmer tone and playing it regularly.

Internally, I'm in a landscape of grieving/mourning, my lost parents and pets are visiting in dreams nightly in potent meetings.

Strange times...

• Thanks 1

I usually wake up around 7 give or take and after some coffee and breakfast spend most of my morning either doing mantra practice or meditating, reading or studying history.

Around noon I wake up my daughter we eat and I help her with online school. After she's finished with school we usually watch something together.

After that I might do some more reading or mantra or walking meditation to get some movement in. Then it's dinner time and we watch something else.

Then we either kill some more time doing the things I mentioned before or watching another show and then I go to bed.

I am plotting your demise amidst my diabolical plans for word domination and rehearsing variations on the evil laugh. 😈

In all seriousness, training, video games, caring for dogs and cats, watching documentaries or anime, writing, teaching online, and group projects, plus listening to the entire Buckethead pikes series.

7 hours ago, silent thunder said:

How do you like Community?  I worked on that show for almost six years from inception to end, still haven't watched it though...  But many on that crew and cast became like adopted family.  It was a very special group as hollywood crews go.  I loved working on it.  From writers to Laborers... that was a golden time in my career looking back.

We've been gaming a lot.  Mansions of Madness, Talisman and Ghost Stories (unique game where Taoist Sages team up to save a village from a Spirit invasion).  One thing in common for the board games we play is they are all cooperative.  But even that's slowed down the last week.

My son has been using the VR helmet again after a long hiatus.  Fun to watch on the screen, what he's seeing in VR.  And he and I have been teaming up in the latest Ghost Recon.  Pretending we're Geri and Freki in human form, sending folks to Valhalla.

Internally, I'm in a landscape of grieving/mourning, my lost parents and pets are visiting in dreams nightly in potent meetings.

Strange times...

I'm really enjoying it.  Its one of the few shows that really makes me laugh.  Fun irreverent characters, played tongue in cheek by very talented actors.  What got to me watch was that the writer was half the Rick & Morty team, the less crazy, more heart felt one- as my son described.  He's watching it with me for the 2nd time.  Its nice that its 22 minutes and so many seasons.  We've just made it through the first and I'm looking forward to all the Halloween episodes.

What VR helmet?  There's one cheap one that works off Android, better ones that are corded.. 

I'll have to look into the games.. see if any are Mac compatible. 

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

I am plotting your demise amidst my diabolical plans for word domination and rehearsing variations on the evil laugh. 😈

In all seriousness, training, video games, caring for dogs and cats, watching documentaries or anime, writing, teaching online, and group projects, plus listening to the entire Buckethead pikes series.

Bring it.  I'm bored and could use the distraction.  B)

God bless the libraries.  With the Overlook app, I can download free books and audio books.  Audio books are particularly nice because they are so expensive.  You can also speed them up to 1.2 or 1.5 if you can listen fast.  I've been digging audio books during some of my walks.   Loved half of 'The Unfettered Soul' and all of Call Sign Chaos.

Just found out that the library has a movie download service.  Kanopy.com  don't know if its everywhere, but its in the Midwest.  It allows you to stream Classic Movies and Documentaries.   Plus it has 6,250 of the Great Courses videos, which are kinda like indepth Ted Talks, running for hours of indepth classes each, with an amazing array of subjects from Nuclear Physics, to Dog Training to Tai Chi.   You just need a library card to use it.

Edited by thelerner

Sign in to follow this