dwai

Lineage transmission, Shaktipat and Realization

In the Hindu tantric tradition, there is a concept of transmission of power via touch or a glance -- known as Shaktipat. There is also the concept of lineage transmission in Daoist traditions wherein the master will plant a seed or transfer the lineage to the student via touch. If you are at liberty to share, please do share your experiences. 

I'll start with my own. My teacher initiated me when I met him for the first time by placing his index finger on my forehead (third eye region). He asked me to inhale 3 times from there into my lower dan tien after he disconnected his finger. After I did, there was a flow from my third eye to my lower dantien and the room started "swimming". I felt a little light-headed and sat down for a couple of minutes. After that, when I reached home, in the night, a huge pressure started to build in my forehead. The only way to relieve it was via meditation and doing Taiji forms. So ended up meditating on and off for 3 days multiple times a day. Then for another 12 days, I would go into very spontaneous and intense meditative states and start performing Taijiquan forms 'automatically'. 

After the initial 15 days or so, where I was experiencing great bliss and large releases of energy, I started to feel like there was fine silk under my skin, covering my entire body. And a very clear separation happened in my consciousness -- with a permanent witness (which was there for a few years before I met my teacher too) forming, that would observe all happenings/activities - physical, mental, energetic. This witness awareness was completely at peace, at ease and unaffected by the ups and downs. If something happened in 'regular life' to shake things up in terms of equanimity and equilibrium, this other mind (my teacher calls it the Spiritual mind) would simply swallow the happening up -- and then life would continue to unfold spontaneously.

Along with that, my practice deepened too. I started waking up between 3:30 and 4:30 every morning but would be in a state of hypnagogia. The mind was awake but the body asleep. I'd find vortices opening up over my being, pulling stuff out, cleansing, etc, etc. Beings would visit me and I would have spiritual conversations with them. Sometimes some would come to challenge me, but I seemed to know inherently how to deal with those challenges...

Martially, abilities started to manifest exactly how my teacher told me they would. He had said to me, "It seems very difficult to comprehend now...but when you walk through that door, you'll look back and think...is that all there was to it?"

I attended class twice a week with my teacher and each time he'd give me something new to work on, and it would manifest tangibly usually a week or so after he taught me. For example, he told me about how there was energy all around us, and that we could simply connect with it and harmonize with it...not needing to expend our own energy to do things like healing/martial techniques, etc. One day, as I was practicing in my family room, the room seemed to be filled with grayish-white smoke or fog. I thought my eyes were playing a trick..but there it was...a heavy fog up to my chest and all over, but most apparent from the ground up to my chest height. When I told my teacher about it the next time I met him, he said with a smile, "that's what I was telling you about..."

I had also embarked on picking up Advaita Vedanta studies which I had put aside several years ago as unintelligible. This time when I picked it up and started my studies again, everything seemed to make perfect sense. That same spiritual mind recognized the truth in the teachings and realization followed realization...like a cascading chain reaction. But there were no fireworks...like a rapidly progressing series of little 'a-aha moments' (I think the zen Buddhists call these flashes kensho). In fact, anything spiritual that I picked up made perfect sense -- stuff that seemed crazy or simply stupid to me before! 

Along with these little realizations, little by little, old behavior patterns started falling away...and a sense of freedom started to grow. Eventually, there arose the realization that there was nothing that needed to be done...only just remain as I  am...undoing happening on its own. That realization was such a relief and was so hysterically funny to me, that I sat and laughed like a madman. And every time I'd think about it, I'd burst into laughter :D 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 10

Thanks for sharing your story.

Was this the Longmen pai tradition?

It sounds similar to accomplishment I've heard of along that lineage (SFQG, Wang Li Ping, Etc).

• Like 1

Incidentally this concept was brought up in Netflix's Tiger King documentary, where one of the private zoo owners has a number of concubines recruited from his underpaid staff- his followers claimed that he was imparting "shaktipat" when he was banging them.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for sharing your story.

Was this the Longmen pai tradition?

This is Temple Style Tai Chi as taught by Master Waysun Liao. My teacher is one of his first-generation students from the early 1970s. AFAIK, Master Liao is very secretive about his lineage, so what we know is that it comes from a Southern Chinese Daoist lineage (he's from Taiwan and trained under a wandering Daoist monk there...I know many people dislike/diss him for this reason).

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It sounds similar to accomplishment I've heard of along that lineage (SFQG, Wang Li Ping, Etc).

I've read Wang Li Ping's 'Opening the Dragon Gate' - his experiences seemed like mine x1000 :D 

That being said, I would like this to be more a sharing of experiences rather than comparing 'appendage lengths' :D 

27 minutes ago, dwai said:

I'd find vortices opening up over my being, pulling stuff out, cleansing, etc, etc. Beings would visit me and I would have spiritual conversations with them. Sometimes some would come to challenge me, but I seemed to know inherently how to deal with those challenges...

Would you mind going into more detail on this? I find these type of things fascinating myself. I have not had that type of experience, and wonder how I would react to it. 

Considering it is outside the realm of the normal most people know, I would probably be quite fearful if it happened right in front of me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, idiot_stimpy said:

Would you mind going into more detail on this? I find these type of things fascinating myself. I have not had that type of experience, and wonder how I would react to it. 

Considering it is outside the realm of the normal most people know, I would probably be quite fearful if it happened right in front of me.

It can be alarming initially :) 

It's hard to articulate as it happens. What I can describe vis-a-vis the vortices is that they reminded me of a funnel of energy/darkness/swirling flashes of light opening up "above" me...and my energy getting pulled out -- being churned like in a cosmic blender :D 

With the "visitors", they were in dreams where I'd be lucid and communicate with these beings, or sometimes they'd give me "stuff" (like energetic gifts, etc). Sometimes I'd get a visitor who'd challenge me -- and natural processes would kick in to deal with the threats/issues. Eventually, I realized that there really is no threat...just the mind/ego getting in the way. Slowly, the reaction becomes an outpouring of love/compassion which defuses the situation. 

• Like 4

Shaktipat and possibly Lineage transmission,

In my experience: Shaktipat and a possible *Lineage transmission exchange factor. At or near my 30th year of FORMAL studying spirit work. I found myself, having to move from a location where for several years I had enjoyed learning from someone who had become my favorite teacher.
Anyway, after my last class with him, we had a parting handshake and both he and I were taken aback by a powerful, what I now believe to be called a Shaktipat type transmission, at the time we both were to stunned to say anything.

However, from then on I was able to enter into visions where I could interact with nearby spirits in a beautiful otherworldly **setting.

I found out years later when I attended a seminar and briefly talked with my old teacher, that he was excited to explain what happened to him after our mutual experience, he told me that he had gained the love of small birds from me. Then he shared with me an example of how he had previously treated, small birds that in his words, "inhabited/vandalized his exquisite garden", (xxx) and that he recognized that he had gained a form of charity, from our exchange that he had been sorely lacking. 

**prior to this I relied on others to create the otherworldly settings for spirit interactions

*Lineage is basically about being able to trace the transmission–ancestry of a particular meditation tradition or meditation teacher back to an individual that was seemingly endowed with at least a modest degree of authentic spiritual realization. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS873US873&sxsrf=ALeKk00SBGz1IuovFt0ZFx41fV4Nc3vh4w%3A1587491388094&ei=PDKfXuCYBcPEswWU6IkI&q=Lineage+transmission+def&oq=Lineage+transmission+def&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIFCCEQoAE6BAgAEEc6BggAEBYQHjoFCCEQqwJQnBpYviVgnCpoAHACeACAAZABiAGQBJIBAzAuNJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjgppWiivroAhVD4qwKHRR0AgEQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

Edited by mrpasserby
clarity
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dwai said:

I'll start with my own. My teacher initiated me when I met him for the first time by placing his index finger on my forehead (third eye region).

Do you know if this is possible to happen without the Master being physically present/next to you, or even if the Master has already passed away?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KuroShiro said:

Do you know if this is possible to happen without the Master being physically present/next to you, or even if the Master has already passed away?

Yes it is possible. 

• Like 1

On 21/4/2020 at 8:11 PM, KuroShiro said:

Swami Loknath Tirth used to provide Shaktipat by letter around a century ago,

Nowadays his lineage still provides distance Shaktipat, but through their website @ https://mahayoga.org

" Beings would visit me and I would have spiritual conversations with them. Sometimes some would come to challenge me, but I seemed to know inherently how to deal with those challenges..."

It seems inappropriate  to respond..

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1