waterdrop

When to sleep and wake up (not how much sleep) ?

I would like to hear people opinion about sleeping and waking time  ...  as opposed to a discussion about how much to sleep  (but if someone wants to add about how much sleeping time they think is best and why -  that is a plus  as long as the main talk is about when to sleep and awake) 

do you need to get up at morning and sleep at night ?    how bad it is to sleep during the day and be awake at night ?

read not long ago about Brahmamuhurtha  -  what are your thoughts about that ?  is it effective if im awake at night and go to sleep after that time ? is there something about this in daoism as well (maybe even a word for that time) ? 

Body-Clock.jpg

11:00pm Is the start of the wood phase... this is when your liver starts to generate Qi - but only if you're completely still (or in deep sleep)... Which means around 10:30pm is a good time to go to bed.

• Like 3

Just to make sure i need to be in deep sleep  at 11pm   until when ?

or just to be in deep sleep at the liver section (not all the wood phase) of  1-3  AM  ?

Edited by waterdrop

9 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

Just to make sure i need to be in deep sleep  at 11pm   until when ?

or just to be in deep sleep at the liver section (not all the wood phase) of  1-3  AM  ?

In deep sleep during the full wood cycle.

Wake up when you want. But usually 8hrs.

Sleeping too long is also not good.

got it  - to sleep from  11 to 3 am     -  that is the wood cycle time

Edited by waterdrop

We had lights out at 10pm. Gives you time to fall into that cycle, and we arose just before 5am. Midday naps are ok if you feel sleep deprived, but depends how much you are training in a day.

Edited by Rara

When I'm on a project bed is 8-8:30, wake @ 3:30ish, @ work by 6, home around 7, wash eat repeat.

When I'm not on a project that sleep schedule holds unless the break goes past a month, then I've noticed the last few years I begin to revert to my anti-circadian rhythm.

I have a device that tracks my sleep levels (Oura ring).  Getting to sleep by 10:30 rewards me with a longer early segment of deep sleep.  The same amount of sleep done later doesn't give me the longer initial hit.  Going to bed earlier gets me 20 to 25% more deep sleep in.  Since I consider it to be the most rejuvenating sleep level for my body, it behooves me to get to bed earlier, even though I'd prefer not too.

Thus proving Benjamin Franklin correct.