Fluidz

Daoist Magick

Hi all,

I know this has been posted about before, I read the forums :). But I was wondering if anyone had any info on this particular subject--> Be it Mao shan, Zheng Yi sect magickal traditions. I have looked into Western magickal systems but its not what I'm looking for, I have no clue why but it seems this is what I want to learn. Been searching for months.

Although I'm Chinese I can't read any (lost that when I moved) so any English resources on how to do the practices or become self-initiated (if that even exists...) would be appreciated. I've searched generally around the area I live in and nothing, though there are teachers who do tai-chi and such, its not what I'm looking into.

Best,

Zac

Hi all,

I know this has been posted about before, I read the forums :). But I was wondering if anyone had any info on this particular subject--> Be it Mao shan, Zheng Yi sect magickal traditions. I have looked into Western magickal systems but its not what I'm looking for, I have no clue why but it seems this is what I want to learn. Been searching for months.

Although I'm Chinese I can't read any (lost that when I moved) so any English resources on how to do the practices or become self-initiated (if that even exists...) would be appreciated. I've searched generally around the area I live in and nothing, though there are teachers who do tai-chi and such, its not what I'm looking into.

Best,

Zac

What kind of Magick of the Fine Arts of Daoist Cultivation are you looking for?

It would require loads of practice every day, diet change, mind change, behavior, etc.

Name your goal...

Peace,

Lin

There's no such thing as magic.

Depends on what is considered magick :)

I don't mean the throwing of energy balls from the hands, or the burning of clothes, and such.

Simply using the word magick as a metaphor for skill- in - means.

^_^

Peace,

Lin

There's no such thing as magic.

As Lin mentioned that depends on your definition. Since the original poster mentioned Western Traditions a quote from one of the Western Adepts seems fitting:

"Magick is the art and science of causing change to occur in conformity with Will." (note: the meaning of this statement is NOT "causing change in conformity to what you want", "will" is capitalized and could be appropriately substituted with "Tao").

Edited by Taoist81

Hi all,

Best,

Zac

I'm not shure if you already have bumped into this guy in your search, but I guess it is just what your looking for. Books and stuff you can order. http://www.daoistmagic.com/ There was a thread here on taobums not long ago about him.

Ive been a little into western magic many years ago. Alistair Crowley and the like. Fun stuff, but also pretty dangerous to play around with if you are not aware of the more subtle realms. I have several friends who suffer from nightmares and generally bad sleep and mood-problems. Typical of thoughtless experimentation with invocation of spirits and energies they have no foundation to deal with.

Im not shure if its the same with daoist magick, but westen occultism is not always the safe way ;)

I'm not shure if you already have bumped into this guy in your search, but I guess it is just what your looking for. Books and stuff you can order. http://www.daoistmagic.com/ There was a thread here on taobums not long ago about him.

Ive been a little into western magic many years ago. Alistair Crowley and the like. Fun stuff, but also pretty dangerous to play around with if you are not aware of the more subtle realms. I have several friends who suffer from nightmares and generally bad sleep and mood-problems. Typical of thoughtless experimentation with invocation of spirits and energies they have no foundation to deal with.

Im not shure if its the same with daoist magick, but westen occultism is not always the safe way ;)

I ran into his site quite abit, but the thing is I'm not sure if his books are "practical" as it were with the Initiation into Hermetics. The "magick" I'm looking into is working with spirits, gods, and the spiritual realms. I know its not always safe, I would take every proper precaution I can, its the last thing I want is to disrespect anything that could harm me. I'm looking at this as self-improvement more so than anything. I'm already doing tai-chi and some herbalism along training with a Shaolin master.

Before you even think of doing Magic(k):

The Heart and the mind must be as one,

Purified from any sullied desires.

Only the pure mind can touch the heavens

Only the upright heart can assemble spirits.

Nature obeys the upright and orthodox.

On google I found: http://www.occultforums.com

Haven't read or used anything from this site, so don't sue me, if you get 'lost' B)

Haven't read or used anything from this site, so don't sue me, if you get 'lost' B)

Heh, Mao Shan appreciate it, but I've already looked into that site and the quote is understandable since I thought about it alot, it just comes to intention imo and knowing yourself. Personally if I could be intiated into a Zheng Yi sect I'd go for it but Canada has none.

http://www.taoistsecret.com/

Try this site. I own Dr. Yong's book and it is authentic. The methods in this book are pretty simple, not like Initiation into Hermetics (which I own as well).

The website looks corny, but the methods are effective traditional methods of daoist talisman crafting.

I own quite a few books on magick and to be honest most of them didn't live up to my expectations but Secret of Taoist Talismans did, and it even exceeded them.

Many people use the Mao Shan name to indicate powerful magic, but it does not necessarily mean the place Mao Shan. Much of what is called Mao Shan is practices that have hijacked the name in order to cash in on the powerful reputation. The teachings of the current Mao Shan monks is considered worthless by other taoist mountains in china. The monks on Mao Shan nowadays are trained in Beijing by communists and were placed on the mountain by the communist gov't. Mao Shan mountain now is like disneyland and is a tourist attraction. The original Shang Ch'ing scrolls were destroyed by the Japanese in WWII. The original Shang Ch'ing Mao Shan sect is virtually dead. The real masters fled the mountain and China before WWII. You may find pieces of the tradition here and there but it is mostly gone. Besides, True Mao Shan is not magic. It is very high level energy work and meditation. Magic is considered to be very low level stuff by the original Mao Shan practitioners and is discouraged.

That is what I have heard anyway...

Edited by fiveelementtao
  • Like 1

Many people use the Mao Shan name to indicate powerful magic, but it does not necessarily mean the place Mao Shan. Much of what is called Mao Shan is practices that have hijacked the name in order to cash in on the powerful reputation. The teachings of the current Mao Shan monks is considered worthless by other taoist mountains in china. The monks on Mao Shan nowadays are trained in Beijing by communists and were placed on the mountain by the communist gov't. Mao Shan mountain now is like disneyland and is a tourist attraction. The original Shang Ch'ing scrolls were destroyed by the Japanese in WWII. The original Shang Ch'ing Mao Shan sect is virtually dead. The real masters fled the mountain and China before WWII. You may find pieces of the tradition here and there but it is mostly gone. Besides, True Mao Shan is not magic. It is very high level energy work and meditation. Magic is considered to be very low level stuff by the original Mao Shan practitioners and is discouraged.

That is what I have heard anyway...

How does this relate to the claims made around the origin of Kunlun?

ralis

Oy... Ralis... Give it a rest bro...

I just asked a simple question and you respond with this!

ralis

I just asked a simple question and you respond with this!

ralis

Ralis, my friend, I thought you understood my stance on these kinds of questions. You and I have spoken on the phone a couple of times. After spending a good chunk of my personal office time answering alot of your questions, I told you then and in subsequent emails that I do not speak for Kunlun and I know as little about them as you do. I have made that abundantly clear on this forum also that I do not answer questions concerning Kunlun. If you have a question for them, please ask THEM!

Edited by fiveelementtao

It depends on how you define magick. Internal alchemy to me is a form of magick because it deals with non-physical subtle energies like chi and the tattwas to transform consciousness and the body.

Qigong to me is also a form of magick. I used weight loss qigong to lose 18 lbs in 3 weeks WITHOUT exercise, that's real magick. How can science explain how I lost that much weight in such a little amount of time by just sitting in a chair and doing pranayama (chi breathing).

Magick to me is the art and science of summoning non-physical energies and or beings to accomplish a specific goal or task either mundane or spiritual. If I use physical means to solve a problem, this is not magick. If I lost weight with pills or drugs instead of qigong, this is not magick.

Chi is not a scientific principle, at least not yet, they are getting close with their theories on dark energy but it's still within the realm of mystery.

Anytime I am able to accomplish a task through non-physical means, this to me is magick. If you heal people with pranic healing, this, by my definition is magick. Pranic healing involves some one directing an invisible energy with nothing more than intention to heal a person, it can even be done at any distance.

The next step in magick is the usage of divine speech. The vedic yogis, Tibetan lamas, and taoist sages are highly skilled in the art of chanting mantra. There is a mantra for everything ranging from snake bites to spiritual enlightenment. Even in Christianity they have the rosary and some sects even pray to specific saints or angels like St. Francis or Archangel Gabriel (which I also do).

In Islam they have dhikr which translates as incantation or invocation in english. Dhikr is the practice of reciting the 99 beautiful names of Allah on their misbaha to receive boons like getting a good wife or job.

The art of Fu (talismans) relies upon the usage of chanting specific mantras and using certain hand seals or mudras to direct the energy. How is this different from prayer? In prayer one unusually puts their hands in a prayer position palms together (mudra) and begin reciting prayers or asking the divine for assistance in some way, sounds pretty similar if you ask me.

Prayer is a basic yet powerful form of magick. I use prayer regularly in my spiritual discipline and magickal rituals. Chanting specific sonic formulas like dhikr or mantras are used as a method of skillful means to accomplish ones goals in life.

Every religion practices magick they just don't call it magick because of the stereotypes that go along with it like dealing with demons and evil spirits or even performing human or animal sacrifices.

In the vedic religon they combust certain plant items as offerings to God while they chant powerful sonic formulas, they call these rituals yagyas. How is this not magick?

When ever we call for non-physical assistance with our earthly problems this is called magick. Magick is the science of miracles, and what religious book isn't filled with miraculous events? Walking on water, changing water into wine, how could they NOT want me to study magick after hearing Yashua do stuff like that! King Solomon was a MASTER of magick in the Koran it says he could even control demons. It's okay for King Solomon to do it but not me?

Makes no sense.

Those taoist monks who claim they're not practicing magick should try and describe chi to a scientist and see how he responds. Chi sounds like a magickal energy since it's intelligent. The idea of intelligent energy is laughable to a scientist.

Edited by Immortal

I'm curious does anyone know any books that explain the dangers of magic?

Asking this questions is like asking what are the dangers of being alive, it's a broad question with almost unlimited answers and there is no one book that has them all.

The danger depends on what type of magick you are doing. If you are doing healing magick like pranic healing there are different dangers than if you're doing evocational magick like jinn summoning.

Can you be more specific as to which particular system of magick you wish to know the dangers of?

Asking this questions is like asking what are the dangers of being alive, it's a broad question with almost unlimited answers and there is no one book that has them all.

The danger depends on what type of magick you are doing. If you are doing healing magick like pranic healing there are different dangers than if you're doing evocational magick like jinn summoning.

Can you be more specific as to which particular system of magick you wish to know the dangers of?

I'm not familiar with any system of magic, however, i am on step 1 of Hermetics, besides that i don't have enough knowledge to be more specific.

When most monks say they don't do magick they are referring to mundane magick, which is for solving worldly problems. They practice spiritual magick like internal alchemy and sometimes they go into mundane magick like divination, astrology, or healing magick.

Monks don't need magick because they don't have any mundane problems besides sickness, injury and old age. In life there are 3 main reasons why people study magick: love, abundance, and healing. Many people will practice magick to attract a good job or a spouse or even to heal a specific malady. Monks will often study healing magick because just like regular people they get sick and injured but besides that they have no use for attracting a spouse since they are celibate and they don't need money because they live in the monastery where food and lodging is provided.

In the regular world we have to earn our way, so having a method to secure a good job or getting the money to go to college or open your own business would be a tremendous help to most of us. We can't all be celibate like monks. We need to have children or else we will go extinct, so finding an ideal trustworthy loving mate is another essential for most of us.

I'm not saying if you practice magick you will be rich, but if you know real magick you should always be able to live comfortably, only karma can decide if you will be truly wealthy, so the ultimate magick is being a good person because what goes around comes around.

I suggest if you wish to learn magick, learn ancient magick. Personally I study taoist magick and rouhaniah. Rouhaniah is an amalgamation of several Semitic disciplines of magick from different cultures like the Sabians, Chaldeans, Hebrews, Assyrians, Babalonians, Sumerians and even upper Africa like Egypt.

Edited by Immortal

Western occultism/magick is negative, while eastern magick is pure and mostly white compared to black.

Wow!

That was beautiful!