Sign in to follow this  
Immortal4life

Bill Maher is right- The wet markets plus the Wuhan lab

1 minute ago, Immortal4life said:

Viruses are often named after locations , that's the only point.

Yeah there are racist idiots out there. That doesnt make naming a virus after a location racist or pandering to racist nutcases.

This coworker did not appear racist, or have the underlying thoughts they are now experiencing (and finding troubling enough to discus with me) until recently. It is a manufactured racism created and fed by things such as what you presented in the OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dude he didn't pick anything apart, that was a really weak article.

Just cuz you agree with him doesn't mean he won the debate. Maher clearly won that one.

4 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

This coworker did not appear racist, or have the underlying thoughts they are now experiencing (and finding troubling enough to discus with me) until recently. It is a manufactured racism created and fed by things such as what you presented in the OP.

You don't know that. You don't know if he had the beliefs he had before or not. It's an emotional time right now.

14 minutes ago, Immortal4life said:

Yeah, and locking people in cages is not good. But naming Viruses after locations is a common practice and not related to that. Watch the video, Bill Maher hates Trump but he also is reasonable enough to realize this is not political, we cant tip toe and walk on egg shells cuz there are racist idiots out there.

How convenient to indicate recognition of racist idiots 'out there'. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Immortal4life said:

You don't know that. You don't know if he had the beliefs he had before or not. It's an emotional time right now.

I will take the individual at their word regarding their own experience before I accept someone else's "spin" on the experience of another. 

And yes, it is a very emotional time right now - which is why chosen names and how what few facts we do have are presented matter.

I have to go to work now, and will be bowing out of the discussion for awhile. 

Take care.

Edited by ilumairen
dang autocorrect
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I will take the individual at their word regarding their own experience before I accept someone else's "spin" on the experience of another. 

And yes, it is a very emotional tone right now - which is why chosen names and how what few facts we do have are presented matter.

Take care.

He told you he wasn't racist until he heard the term Chinese Coronavirus? Then became racist? Come on man, people don't become racist over the names of viruses.

Edited by Immortal4life

And yes, it is a very emotional time right now - which is why chosen names and how what few facts we do have are presented matter.

Take care.

Be safe at work!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Immortal4life said:

He told you he wasn't racist until he heard the term aChinese Corinavirus? Then became racist? Come on man, people don't become racist over the names of viruses.

It's not so simple as you'd like to paint it, and I don't have the time to address this adequately at the moment. 

If you could take the time to consider what I've presented without the tendency to immediately dismiss, it may assist us with any further interaction.

It's not so simple as you'd like to paint it, and I don't have the time to address this adequately at the moment. 

If you could take the time to consider what I've presented without the tendency to immediately dismiss, it may assist us with any further interaction.

Ok, I'll wait for you to explain further when you have time. But the premise of this thread is fairly simple, laid out in the OP, and no one's been able to really rebut Maher's point.

Wet markets are dangerous, should be shut down, and names of viruses dont make racists racist.

Edited by Immortal4life

3 minutes ago, Immortal4life said:

Ok, I'll wait for you to explain further when you have time. But the premise of this thread is fairly simple, laid out in the OP, and no one's been able to really rebut Mahers point.

Wet markets are dangerous, should be shut down, and names of viruses dont make racists racist.

It is Trump's use of code words which inflames his alt-right base. Trump always blames the other to escape responsibility!   

• Like 1

Racists are very bad, but when they decide to indulge their prejudices it's not because of code words I.e. the name of a virus. Looking for covert code words is not an effective way to fight racism or the Trump presidency.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Immortal4life said:

Racists are very bad, but when they decide to indulge their prejudices it's not because of code words I.e. the name of a virus. Looking for covert code words is not an effective way to fight racism or the Trump presidency.

You are really out of touch. Quote from Field Marshall Goering during the Nuremberg Tribunals. This should terrify anyone as to the power of propaganda! Fear is the great enemy!

Gilbert asked Goering how it was possible to build and sustain public support for a war effort, especially in Germany, which had barely recovered from the still recent disaster of World War I.

Here’s Goering’s reply:

“Why, of course, the people don’t want war,” Goering shrugged. “Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don’t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood.

“But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.”

“There is one difference,” [Gilbert] pointed out. “In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.”

“Oh, that is all well and good, [replied Goering] but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”

That's a huuuuuug leap from naming viruses by location, to manipulatimg people into thinking they are being attacked through propaganda.

Also doesn't change the fact that sometimes countries are attacked for real.

Good thing no major powers are going to war anytime soon. I'm personally glad major powers havent started any new wars in a while. Iraq war sucked, that was harsh and bad. Good thing no one is starting WW3 😂Much better to do business, like say with Russia. They have nuclear bombs, better to do business with them I say. Ultimate deterrent.

Edited by Immortal4life

OP you should just not waste your breath or energy. You’re dealing with people who  think it’s wrong to refer to a person as their biological sex. A man isn’t a man and a woman isn’t a woman anymore. As you can see, as soon as one of their own even hints at breaking rank and speaking some sort of truth, they will circle the waters and devour him. 

Asking them to actually even consider this is a Chinese issue will be met with nothing but torrid accusations  of racism etc. it’s like dealing with overly  emotional unstable pubescent children when you bring up a topic that triggers their delicate sensibilities.

Edited by bax44

Exactly, it's an issue with the Chinese government, eating practices, and treatment of animals, not really about racism or the Chinese people. 

Edited by Immortal4life

7 minutes ago, Immortal4life said:

Exactly, it's an issue with the Chinese government, eating practices, and treatment of animals, not really about racism or the Chinese people. 

Chinese government is despicable. Soon tho, you can’t speak out against them without being made to feel like your murdering someone. Living strictly in the land of words is very dangerous, imo.

Edited by bax44

Freedom of speech will never die. We're lucky to live in the free world. Could you imagine being told what to think? What to say? It would be a nightmare

Tony Montana told us how it is a long time ago

Edited by Immortal4life

Man, you snowflakes can't tell the difference between someone disagreeing with you on an internet forum and someone repressing your free speech. Sad!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Immortal4life said:

I read it , it was weak. Maher wins that one. Just cuz you agree with him doesn't mean he won the argument. 

and yet, because you agree with Maher, you assume he won... pot, meet kettle.

2 hours ago, Immortal4life said:

Code words are how racists operate within society without drawing unwanted persecution in reaction to their bile.

When used by the president, they are a signal of acceptabilty an all clear signal that 'their time has come' to open up and come out of the closet and begin open hostilities of what they usually keep hidden, (knowing inherently it is anti-human and anti-love).

I find the voluntary outing of racists, mysogonists, xeno and homophobes to be a great, if painful boon to society.  The way our current president is good for us is by showing us just how much illness has been percolating under the surface of our republic.

It is not possible to heal one's self, if one is unaware that they are ill and does not seek treatment.

We were walking home one evening after fireworks on the 4th of July.  As we walked by one home, it was not possible to ignore the Confederate Flag, so enormous, it completely obfuscated the entire detached garage of one home.

As we passed it, latino, african and asian families all about us, I loudly proclaimed.

"I sure do appreciate when racist ass=hats proclaim their racist bullshit up front and don't hide... it's less dangerous in the long run as it saves me time in knowing who to watch and whom to distance from."

One can't sleep next to a rabid dog.

As for wet markets.  I worked the South Street Seaport for some years in lower Manhattan.  Fish guts and hoses to wash the place clean.  Perfectly normal.

• Thanks 1

Those hoses aren't gonna stop anything if people are eating bats, pangolins, dogs, and cats. Just shut them down. I assume the ones in a country like the US are safer and more responsibly regulated obviously than China,  but just shut down all wet markets. Civilized people should have moved beyond that stupidity by now. Even Fauci says shut them down. They're cruel, inhumane, gross, and outdated.

That's all well and good what you say, but the practice of naming viruses by location is not a secret racist code word. That's paranoia. 

Edited by Immortal4life

What is normal food for you is entirely political.  Look at corn dairy beef and pork subsidies in 'Murica.

Your notion of civilized is a projection of your notions of normal, which is what you were exposed to from the age of 0-7.

It is not an objective notion... it is projective, subjective and societally formed.

peace out bro

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this