Friday, Austrailia, condemns China at the UN

And is sailing a carrier group to the paracel.

And what was that flying down the the tennessee/kentucky line :o

Protests at several places. I'm sure each had their unique flavor. 

Seattle is trying to keep up or out do Portland. A thought, probably not going to be received well, but, if the local and state authorities allow the destruction to their cities, with mayors, governors, senators, attorney general's etc all telling the feds to stay out of it, they probably shouldn't go asking the feds to provide the money to fix it all back.

In Louisville,   ( no one here really concerned but there was outside interest and speculation as to what might go down) NFAC, the armed and former military all black militia did in fact show up as they said they would to (in their words) the last stronghold of Dixie. 

They marched during daylight and called it a day at 430 pm. None of the during hours of darkness stuff. They seem a step up from BLM, a big step up honor wise and communication wise.

Not sure if it was nerves or what, but NFAC somehow shot three of their own. So called friendly fire, jitters, lack of training, something.

I dont have any problem with NFAC. I see them as honorable. Luckily their self inflicted casualties did not escalate into anything else and none of the injuries are life threatening.

I hope they reconsider their idea of "taking texas" clearly they have a long ways to go to be a capable militia. I hope none of them get hurt.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, zerostao said:

If anyone could post some bright spots that's occurred during 2020, that'd be most welcome.

One would have to wander the streets with a lamp in broad daylight like Diogenes to find those bright spots.  However, there's been a lot of Diogenesis in 2020, in that people did get stuck in barrels of assorted sizes, which they used in, occasionally, creative new ways.  I dedicated some time to learning a few new skills.  Using a dremel and a stitching awl, learning field surgery and making spagyrics, reading my poetry at multilingual international zoom gatherings, stuff like that.  Some people I haven't heard from in ages got back in touch and shared their stories, some people whose politics were, for the longest time, untouchable with a ten-foot pole, with whom any conversation remotely related to anything of that nature had to be avoided like the plague, now carefully ask my opinion about this and that, and I extra carefully lift the veil for a second to show them glimpses of reality as I know it -- looky here.  Not that I necessarily succeed, but with some, my inner censor ("shut up, you're talking to a bleating noncomposmentis") eased up a bit (while becoming extra vigilant with others) -- and to reward my trust, occasionally they do manage to produce sounds indicative of some vestigial human thought rather than regurgitated indoctrination of this or that denomination.  Which is heartwarming, all things considered.     

• Like 3

Dang, Taomeow,

The light of your post had me take off my glasses and rub my eyes for a second. It is heartwarming. 

Thanks for sharing that. Keep on rockin' keep on keeping on.

• Thanks 1

I mentioned what I like about NFAC, they show up armed and protest. That is their right. By all means. They haven't assaulted anyone  other than themselves accidentally. They are not looting, vandalizing property. They operate in the day light hours and not during darkness. They clearly state their objectives.

I do have a couple issues with them though. They are openly racist. Which is perhaps better than a closet racist, idk, the whole race thing, is an issue, I wish we didnt have but we do have.

Another thing is their lack of firearm safety in a public setting, or anywhere but especially in public.

They've said there going to come back to Louisville in 4 weeks if the breonna taylor situation doesn't suit them and they wont have peaceful on their minds. So that is threatening. And at the least, they are negligent concerning firearm safety.

Another group present yesterday, in louisville were the 3 %. A small showing from them, but in their minds they were some ad hoc security presence. This probably isn't good.

Covid19 continues to rage.

Camouflaged federal security in the streets of american cities. Of course, in the past national guard has done the same thing. This new approach is made up of all law enforcement officers, I think. 

If an accidental shot is fired and hits a different militia, the 3 % say they are not a militia, um they are, it's a recipe for disaster. Many militias wear camouflage and th are could be confusion deciding who is a federal officer, who is militia. That's also potential for disaster. 

Idk folks

• Sad 1

Hard to keep up with everything going on, several any other time stories that would be talked about are flying under the radar.

A wall of veterans join, wall of dads, wall of moms in Portland.

Probably gonna get another stimulus check, meh. Not exactly morale boosting. 

Second wave threatening to sweep across Europe.

Austrailia seems about the least affected on the local level.

Posted (edited)

It's a disturbing thought, the morbidity of it.

The fact is covid-19 has killed more americans already 147,828

than the 140,414 union soldiers killed during the civil war.

Another 74,524 confederates were also killed on the battlefields.

A study coming out of Germany showing extensive long term heart damage in 78% of those who are considered "recovered" from the virus, most of which didnt require hospitalization. 

76% had a biomarker usually found after a heart attack. The study can be found on statnews.com

The.virus broke my heart broke before Christmas, 2019. 

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, zerostao said:

It's a disturbing thought, the morbidity of it.

The fact is covid-19 has killed more americans already 147,828

than the 140,414 union soldiers killed during the civil war.

Another 74,524 confederates were also killed on the battlefields.

A study coming out of Germany showing extensive long term heart damage in 78% of those who are considered "recovered" from the virus, most of which didnt require hospitalization. 

76% had a biomarker usually found after a heart attack. The study can be found on statnews.com

The.virus broke my heart broke before Christmas, 2019. 

Hey.  Straw dogs.

9 minutes ago, manitou said:

Hey.  Straw dogs.

Really ? How so ?

Dead ones ?

19 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Really ? How so ?

Dead ones ?

Yes, hotshot.  Dead ones, lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, manitou said:

Yes, hotshot.  Dead ones, lol.

My thought was the civil war is considered about the deadliest time of American history. It lasted 4 years and in 4 months we've exceeded those historical numbers.

The 1918 flu was deadliest time of all. I'm not a dude that prays, but I pray this will stop soon and not approach those historical numbers.

I'm just trying to show a perspective in lives lost. Here locally, not many wear face masks or respect social distancing. A guy brushed up on my shoulder yesterday, no idea who he was. 

This mentality here, sure wwe haven't been hit hard, well compared to neighboring states, we haven't been hit hard yet. This local mentality, has me packing up and soon to move on.

Hopefully move on as a living breathing being.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, zerostao said:

My thought was the civil war is considered about the deadliest time of American history. It lasted 4 years and in 4 months we've exceeded those historical numbers.

The 1918 flu was deadliest time of all. I'm not a dude that prays, but I pray this will stop soon and not approach those historical numbers.

I'm just trying to show a perspective in lives lost. Here locally, not many wear face masks or respect social distancing. A guy brushed up on my shoulder yesterday, no idea who he was. 

This mentality here, sure wwe haven't been hit hard, well compared to neighboring states, we haven't been hit hard yet. This local mentality, has me packing up and soon to move on.

Hopefully move on as a living breathing being.

I collect old postcards.  I was looking through my collection and I noticed one from 1918.  To a Mr. Homer Zimmerman, 3rd Training Battalion, Chillicothe, OH.  It's from someone named Ona.  It merely says, in that classic old handwriting:    "The flu has arrived here"

Please don't pack up and leave.  But if you do, make sure you go someplace with internet.  I would miss you way too much.

This country is impossible.  First of all, we've always been way too spoiled about everything.  Self discipline doesn't seem to be the long suit of most Americans.  We bore easy.  We tire easy.  This whole covid thing has just gotten too boring, someone was telling me last night.  We've always been a disposable society, at least in our lifetimes.  We have disposable TV's now, you couldn't get one fixed if you tried.  And that is the mindset of many Americans - I include myself in that category.  Everything I had, I have taken for granted.  (Not now; in fact, I sometimes talk to inanimate objects and thank them for their very reliable contribution to making my life more pleasant). 

But always a home.  Always just enough money.  Always a car.  The concept of going to school was taken for granted - and I even grew up during the time when some schools were closed to anyone who wasn't a caucasian.  And drinking fountains and restrooms were still segregated.

I really don't see our spoiled citizens who refuse to wear a mask, masking up for as long as it would take to get these numbers down.  I truly think we're going to have to wait for a vaccine.  Those citizens who raise their fists and demand their right to NOT WEAR A MASK....how do you reason with people like this?  We have rights too.  We have the right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  As far as I can see, I think that Right to Life overshadows the right to not wear a mask.

• Like 1

Hopefully the masses dont end up being spoiled to death or bored to death. You're spot on everything you wrote.

Do you think these folks who wont wear a mask would get a vaccine?

I've read old newspapers from olive hill, the town was quadruple the population it is now. The 1918 flu hit there late October and 2-3 weeks into November. Had to be the scariest Halloween ever and saddest Thanksgiving. The papers said they had no idea how many had died they were dropping that fast. My papaw was 4, when he lost his 43 year old dad to the flu. At 8, papaw was working fulltime in a brickyard. At age 12, he conducted his own riot and burned down the school. I never asked him why. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, zerostao said:

At age 12, he conducted his own riot and burned down the school. I never asked him why. 

Aah.  I have one of those too.  My grandmother lit the curtains on fire to burn down the house.

Two high school sophomore girls, age 15, from Surat India discovered an asteroid that had slowly shifted its orbit and is moving towards earth. They emailed NASA June 20 and NASA confirmed it June 23.

Good work!!

• Like 2

S7 E7 The Dragon and the Wolf

Kinda has the same feel to it. Kind of a sinking, impending doom, sense of urgency. Not able to grab a sword and go confront it though. Trying to wait it out hoping it passes over is an uneasy feeling. 

Starts singing Jenny of the Oldstones

The protests return to mostly peaceful. I hesitate, really :lol: I do, to post any political commentary, I thought about posting this on the opinion or observation of madness thread; my question is: what were the camouflaged fed police at Portland actually up to?

They said they were there to protect the federal building, it wouldn't have required that size of deployment. The just reassigned acting undersecretary of the DHS office of intelligence and analysis has just passed along 3 open source Intel reports to all federal law enforcement agencies of data recently compiled on protesters, legal observers, journalists.  

If this sort of thing had occurred under a democrat administration fox news would be demanding heads on a pike.

On this thread, a little, emphasis on little, political commentary is ok. 

I dont want this thread  becoming exclusively political. Little is ok.

There are major events going on this year that affect us all without discrimination by political affiliation or lack thereof. 

Covid-19 still raging and remains the major event of the year, a year overflowing with major events.

Locally, I see a slight increase in prices of a few things. Some food items slightly up. I've heard many places are lowly  stocked  with firearms and ammo. Other places, like where I am, ammo has not seen an increase in price , remains readily available. The price of a colt 5.56 is up. Other 5.56 remain at near historic low prices. This morning I could have taken possession of a colt 5.56 new in the box for 1400. Or an ar10 creedmoor 6.5 for 1500, new in the box. 

Interesting that within the same country, crossing a state line can have such a drastic contrast. 

Covid-19 continues to rage. It is a terrible pandemic, a real eye opener for many. Yet, despite this plague spreading like it has, the doomsday clock hasnt ticked forward since early January, when it was set at 100 seconds. Remember the good ol days when we calculated doom by minutes? 

If you wonder why this year of chaotic events hasnt pushed the clock, it's because two horrific threats ( I actually think three ) remain that continue to race to the edge of unrecoverable disaster. 

We live on a planet where bitter suffering is consciously designed. 

Stay safe and healthy, be kind when you have an opportunity. 

For sure covid-19 is not to be underestimated and needs to be dealt with, certainly. 

Step by step.

There remains the slight possibility that people will become engaged, organized, and bring about meaningful  change to make the world a better place. I am a gambler. I've seen through the odds at various times and in some cases benefitted, like picking a horse that paid me a 90 to one return. Or understanding by the beginning of march 2016 that trump would be elected. I tried convincing friends to buy apple at 23 a share. So, where do I see the odds set at avoiding total collapse?

You probably dont want to hear it.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1