Sign in to follow this  
SongShuhang

Hello

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading a lot, but fairly new to all this, and I am interested in daoist studies and learning more about Chi.

Can you recommend me what to start with? Book? Where to find good teacher? How much should I practice?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SongShuhang said:

Can you recommend me what to start with?

The best is to state your intent of what you are looking for by defining why it interests you and what you want. Everything must begin with this step rather than trying to figure out what you want along the way as you explore. Exploration is fine, but don't expect it to solve your questions and provide answers if you don't know what you're looking for.

Book?

Most books are marketing material, but I recommend stories and primary texts like the Tao Te Ching and Zhuangzi's works to appreciate the philosophy. Stories of Taoist masters help such as reading Wang Liping's Opening the Dragon Gate or a popular manual here like Lam Kam Chuen's They Way of Energy and The Way of Power. Some have learned from these books, but I do not recommend it for absolute beginners and assure you formal instruction first to develop a foundation for understanding is safer and better in the long run.

Where to find good teacher?

I have several, but they are not free and there is a cost to what you wish to learn--whether a formal program or a system of practice that can be learned in a few sessions, or just a simple DVD series like Terry Dunn's Flying Phoenix program that has a thread he answers questions in here: 

How much should I practice?

Depends on what you are practicing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

The best is to state your intent of what you are looking for by defining why it interests you and what you want. Everything must begin with this step rather than trying to figure out what you want along the way as you explore. Exploration is fine, but don't expect it to solve your questions and provide answers if you don't know what you're looking for.

I seek to learn more about Chi and daoist practices. How do you cultivate? How do you open Dantiens?

Most books are marketing material, but I recommend stories and primary texts like the Tao Te Ching and Zhuangzi's works to appreciate the philosophy. Stories of Taoist masters help such as reading Wang Liping's Opening the Dragon Gate or a popular manual here like Lam Kam Chuen's They Way of Energy and The Way of Power. Some have learned from these books, but I do not recommend it for absolute beginners and assure you formal instruction first to develop a foundation for understanding is safer and better in the long run.

Thank you! I am more interested right now at something that is practical. Is it true that Daoist Masters can develop supernatural abilities?

I have several, but they are not free and there is a cost to what you wish to learn--whether a formal program or a system of practice that can be learned in a few sessions, or just a simple DVD series like Terry Dunn's Flying Phoenix program that has a thread he answers questions in here: 

Before I commit to a Teacher, I want to learn more about them, what they offer, what do people achieve through their training. As to make a more conscious choice of training system, before comitting years of time and financial resources to practice.

Is there something to try and learn for free to begin with?

1 hour ago, SongShuhang said:

I seek to learn more about Chi and daoist practices. How do you cultivate

You learn more from practice than you do from books or listening to a lot of self-taught like some here who believe they know.

How do you open Dantiens?

Proper system. Not easy. can’t be done alone. Needs guidance from qualified teacher.

Is it true that Daoist Masters can develop supernatural abilities?

yes.

Before I commit to a Teacher, I want to learn more about them, what they offer, what do people achieve through their training. As to make a more conscious choice of training system, before comitting years of time and financial resources to practice.

Be careful as not all training is linear nor is it always consistently replicable. Everyone’s body is unique and may develop differently and slower or faster than others.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Proper system. Not easy. can’t be done alone. Needs guidance from qualified teacher.

Welcome to Earl Grey's Kung Fu academy.

Just now, ReturnDragon said:

Welcome to Earl Grey's Kung Fu academy.

Wasn't inviting him to my school. But now that you're here, I'll take the opportunity to remind people of who you are: 

3 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Sorry, I'm not soliciting students like you. Nor using free AD on TDB.

Considering how often you give free shitty advice to people all the time and argue with people who do know what they're talking about with formal training, keep deluding yourself. 

Be warned, OP. 

1 minute ago, ReturnDragon said:

Why are you so afraid that people learned on their own.....???

These are why: 

There are very few practices one can do alone, as listed here. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

Why are you so afraid that people learned on their own.....???

Let's put it differently. Would you trust the advice of a bedouin or an average New Yorker when attempting to cross a vast desert?

People can have success when trying things on their own but must have a lot of luck and talent to succeed which is very rare.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zork said:

1. Let's put it differently. Would you trust the advice of a bedouin or an average New Yorker when attempting to cross a vast desert?

2. People can have success when trying things on their own but must have a lot of luck and talent to succeed which is very rare.

1. It depends who do you trust. Trial and error!
2. Ah, yes rare; but there is a possibility that counts. Why not give it a chance? People are so dumb you know!

Edited by ReturnDragon
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ReturnDragon said:

. It depends who do you trust. Try and error!

Yes there are plenty of idiots to choose for guidance and no one who actually knows his stuff.

2 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Ah, yes rare; but there is a possibility that counts. Why not give it a chance? People are so dumb you know!

The desert example is not random. Training in internal arts has risks. Going on your has significant risks. I have no problem with people training on their own as long as it is an informed decision which takes the risks into account.

99.999% of people training on their own don't fall into this category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Zork said:

Let's put it differently. Would you trust the advice of a bedouin or an average New Yorker when attempting to cross a vast desert?

9 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

1. It depends who do you trust. Try and error!

Just now, Zork said:

Yes there are plenty of idiots to choose for guidance and no one who actually knows his stuff.

This "try and error" (trial and error) is basically choosing among the top ten search results in Google and Baidu rather than having a syllabus and assigned readings in a university specialization.

17 minutes ago, Zork said:

People can have success when trying things on their own but must have a lot of luck and talent to succeed which is very rare.

9 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

2. Ah, yes rare; but there is a possibility that counts. Why not give it a chance? People are so dumb you know!

3 minutes ago, Zork said:

The desert example is not random. Training in internal arts has risks. Going on your has significant risks. I have no problem with people training on their own as long as it is an informed decision which takes the risks into account.

99.999% of people training on their own don't fall into this category.

It appears there is an indirect endorsement by ReturnDragon for what is analogous to playing Russian Roulette rather than formal training in safety and the use of handling firearms. 

You've come to the right place.  All kinds of advice- choose w/ care, practice with passion.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.  Though it boils down to be respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Michael and the TDB team

Sign in to follow this