Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

We're all inside, what a hard but doable thing to learn

Any suggestions for some interesting practice, hard but doable thing to learn, while the Virus rages on outside? 

mental or physical practice. 

I'm feeling both bored and unmotivated.  Need some fire..

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Do you at least have access to sunlight? A yard to go into? Or are you in a flat? 

Yeah, doing lots of walking for 1 to 3 hours a day.

Maybe I could get out the golf club and some balls, shag some at a nearby tree then raise the club above my head, shake it and yell at nearby children 'Get offa my Park'.  That might be fun. 

I've been seeing a few duffers hitting balls in the park.  Lightly. 

Edited by thelerner

20 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Yeah, doing lots of walking for 1 to 3 hours a day.

Maybe I could get out the golf club and some balls, shag some at a nearby tree then raise the club above my head, shake it and yell at nearby children 'Get offa my Park'.  That might be fun. 

I've been seeing a few duffers hitting balls in the park.  Lightly. 

Ah, so you can at least walk outside. I am in total lockdown now--can't even leave to go to my roof deck. 

You could try the fitness program I started and watch the movie Bronson to see what it's like to get fit or even ripped with calisthenics and isometrics. 

Most of my days now are reading, gaming, and training hardcore. Need to let out the aggression because of the neighbors and everyone being stupid, lazy, and selfish and wanting to strangle everyone for letting coronavirus spread. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thelerner said:

Any suggestions for some interesting practice, hard but doable thing to learn, while the Virus rages on outside? 

I'm feeling both bored and unmotivated.  Need some fire..

Good question!  Can you narrow it down a bit?  I assume you also want fun and interesting -- in addition to hard and doable -- and what that is for you is going to be highly individual.  My mom goes crazy for spinning wool into yarn that she then uses to knit sweaters.  Personally, there´s no quarantine so severe that I could be persuaded to take up spinning! 

Just thinking about what you value and would like to learn about or improve is likely to get you moving again out of a motivational rut.  One idea is to go back to something that you used to do and gave up, perhaps prematurely.  Is there something you were passionate about as a child, adolescent, or young adult that got pushed aside with the demands of family or business?  Perhaps now is a time to explore anew.  

• Like 1

My 'occasional' rang me yesterday ;

" Okay ... I  miss you, I want to come and see you , this is too long  ... etc etc . "

We even started making plans   and comparing contacts .....    the lust bug !  But then she goes :  " So-and-so came here the other day and visited me , she said she was concerned that her sons GF who lives in their household went and visited  ... blah - blah . "

me:  "and how do we know where HE has been ? !    She then realised she had been 'compromised ', we came to our senses and  decided we would wait   and hold out .

And we are OLD  !  Imagine what's going on out there with the lust filled , dick rules mind ,   young uns ! 

Anyways .... I got a few acres to play on in my 'isolation ' .

... and now , the 'Logger Boys' have just turned up, I asked them to come around and saw up some huge logs way beyond the capacity of my chainsaw .   What awesome machines they where .  I had just gone to the local mill and got some heavy hardwood 3 m, floor joists, I had carried two down to the building site, but my back isnt very good today so I asked them to do that as well .

4 at a time they did  !   Man , they got lower calves like little port barrels !  Then the hardware truck came and unloaded posts, beams roof joists roofing iron, boxes of bolts and screws .   The  they all left  ( and I finally got to have breakfast at 2 pm ) .

Boy am I gonna have fun for 'locked down Easter '   - no different for me at all,  before every easter I rush out and do survival shopping *  and hunker down for a week until the  tourists go away , stay at home and potter on shed and yard projects - which have boomed ahead, since we are supposed to stay home now .

* So , I got up early drove to town thinking ther would be mad shopping or  lines outside and only 5 in a  time or something . But no, very empty and ... wait  for it ... I have been waiting  for this moment ...

Toilet paper was on the shelves again !

We have , according to my prediction,  we have passed the crisis  point  ( I said weeks back , it won't be over until TP appears on the shelves again ) - here .

12133896-3x2-700x467.jpg

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-08/chart-shows-slowdown-in-new-coronavirus-cases/12133558

• Like 3

Actually, you know what @thelerner? Skype or zoom me sometime and I'll show you our Xin Yi, which might be a little more manageable for bringing up your Zhan Zhuang game based on what you said in the Cultivators Club. Let me know if you're interested. The offer extends to @liminal_luke and though he doesn't need it, @Nungali too if you also are curious. 

Might as well share some of what I have since it's a good time to let people have something to improve themselves that can also help their health go up to fight this damned crisis. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, thelerner said:

You want to try to do the four corners of the Yang Style Taiji? It can be done repeatedly in one place and exercise holistically.  

OR it would be less boring try the 24 form.

Edited by ReturnDragon

36 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

You want to try to do the four corners of the Yang Style Taiji? It can be done repeatedly in one place and exercise holistically.  OR it would be less boring try the 24 form.

When I was playing that, my wife in the other room called out, 'Tiger Walking'; a Yang stylized walking sequence.  Amazing, she got it, or was close, from the just the music!? 

I need simple.  I'm a raw beginner at Tai Chi, don't know any forms and trying to get one from a video or even from a kind offer like Earl Greys, I don't think I'll get it or it'll stick.  In the vernacular of the martial arts I am the slow horse, which has advantages, while slow to learn, tends to learn well. 

I've been watching a couple forms on the internet and none seem easy enough for me, though pieces of them are good.  I'm sure its a game of persistence, but I probably need live instruction and the class I've been is canceled, no loss since I didn't particularly like the teaching style. 

I like Pangu, which is short and simple.  I like Michael Winn's simple Chi gung forms, which I'm sure are pieces from larger forms, done repeatedly. 

Sign in to follow this