awayfarer

Baguazhang

Hello bums-

First post, but long time lurker. Could anyone point me to a well regarded site/school to stream introductory Baguazhang lessons? I have a daily sitting practice but am looking for movement to help with coronavirus confinement and expand my knowledge base.  Please keep in mind my confinement space is on the small side, but I do have about a 6'x6' space to practice, if that is enough.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. 

• Like 3

Hello,

It's not just walking in circles like a headless chicken but building a very solid foundation from which circle walking must emerge/run along. The Yin that anchors the Yang

Let me vouch for He Jinghan, Taipei (Taiwan):

https://www.youtube.com/user/hejinghan/videos

Plenty of useful instructional videos.

Start from the bottom of the page.

The Asian squat is something you MUST do/work on if you can't on a DAILY basis:

https://youtu.be/M3jL9Iy6tKY

https://youtu.be/X8GT128He-g

Use arms while holding on to a pole then move on to using kettlebells of various weights. Over time you'll be able to squat down using only your body weight.

Good luck :)

• Like 2

You can't learn Baguazhang through video learning. Perhaps if you were already high level in one style of Bagua you could pick up the basics of another style. It's martial arts though, it has be practiced and trained with others to learn the applications, ways and directions of applying energy and force, and fine details. Internal martial arts are insanely detailed and precise so even the basic shapes will be very difficult.

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, awayfarer said:

I appreciate the responses. Almost all were very thoughtful and helpful. 

Also, theres a Facebook group: "Bagua Zhang the arts of circle walking" worth to check.

Happy training

• Like 1

11 years in with Chris Matsuo and I remain as enthusiastic as ever. 
there are several Cheng  style bagua DVD’s/videos available.

Gerard always suggests Yin style and you can’t go wrong with that. Looking up older Gerard posts about bagua will provide a wealth of great information.

i don’t think style matters all that much—ok, I ducked after saying that lol Really I just took another step around the circle, it translates better than ducking.

my point is there are some incredible choices in bagua, shop around, take your time, you will feel what resonates with you.

the art is in the circle walking 

watch the video on YouTube titled Master Han yanwu baguazhang by Freedom Martial Art. If you find yourself looking up more Han yan  Wu videos, then maybe bagua is for you. 
for most people the path to Internal martial arts is best started with taiji xingyi or I quan. 
for a few, bagua has snuck up on from behind, above, or below, you turn meet it face to face and it smacks your face with a spiraling substance, undefined, and you waste the rest of your life pursuing that substance. Setting down the crack pipe is easy, trying to forget about the shimmering spiraling substance is impossible. 
everyone that replied on this thread gave you valuable information. 
I suggest, you watch 3 or 4 videos of Scott Meredith on circle walking. 
others may suggest Earle montaingue, Joann zorya is worth the time too. 
Edit to add, I came upon some new bagua videos. Just wanted to mention, called energy bagua by Bodhi meditation, he looks healthy with positive attitude. Also looks charismatic similar to tv evangelist,  I haven’t had the chance to investigate further, I do agree with his premise that bagua is good for health and energy. 

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1