Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

Longquan Temple

Haha I was just searching for longquan and found this thread. That's my video!

Edit: That was made a while ago when my video skills were really really low! I was just teaching myself how to do it at that point . . .

Edit 2: haha if you watch the video there's a big carved stone where Zhang San Feng cooked a dog to eat! He lived there for a while. . .

Edited by wudangquan

Since there's not a good Taoist Wiki (someone should make one!), I thought I would talk some about this temple.

The order there was founded by Liu Yuanran. Liu was a missionary for the QuangZhen Longmen Pai, and was on a mission when he camed to Longquan.

He founded the ChangChun Pai (I believe at Longquan), but that was later sort of absorbed into ZhengYi when the sects were homogenized generally into the 3 different Pai's.

Here is also a video I made from Stone Forest:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...15568&hl=en

I have some other video of the actual village there (mostly just me and my pig and some SJ stuff), but never uploaded it.

Somebody should really do a Taoist Wiki. Really.

Since there's not a good Taoist Wiki (someone should make one!), I thought I would talk some about this temple.

Somebody should really do a Taoist Wiki. Really.

Hmm, I did start a taoist wiki, many lifetime ago.

it was called taotewiki.

Ask around and the old skool here will still remember it.

But then I discontinued it since I was the only one to write in it.

Or better, after one year when it came the time to pay for the next round, and once I realised I was the only one to use it, I pulled the plug.

Part of the problem, I think, was that each school in taoism sees the world quite differently. So instead than quarelling on everything, we just preferred to work our differences here. Now I am more hopeful that each school of taoism would start their own wiki.

Here, my idea was also that we should have, after every thread, when we have reached a consensus, wrote it down on the wiki. As well as having a FAQ page. But, you see, people over here are not interested in building something here. I say this with no offence meant, it's just not in the interest here. I collaborate with another website: metagovernment.org. We are trying to build a software to let communities govern themselves in a better way. By a mixture of wiki, slashdot karma, and maths based tag cloud measure. A very geeky project. Fits us. Both online and offline community (although the software only work for online communities). Well, when we started a wiki there, it flew. We were only few people, but we all started to collaborate.

One line me, one you, and soon we have some good material out there.

But over there we all wanted to build something. There was excitment. There was the promise of doing something that could really have an effect.

It all boils down to the question, why are we all here.

If you take away the people who are here to sell, those that are here to buy, and those that are here to rant, or to meet their mates, and generally to gossip about this or that master, there is very little left.

But please, start one. Start a wiki, I'll play along, and at least we'll be in two.

Pietro

Hi Pietro,

Nice to almost meet you. :)

I can for sure put a wiki up, but I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to it. My main interest is in doing audio and video stuff, because I think it's more accessible for people than text.

However, I think it would be good to have something like a wiki for Taoism. If for nothing else than to document the different sects, masters, lineages, and the basic belief structures, ideas, etc.

I have played around with it a little bit already, but have had trouble effectively integrating it with my site (runs on joomla).

I'll see what I can do over the next few days about getting something up, and setting up at least the hyperlinked framework for some topics.

Hopefully some people would like to contribute, but if not maybe you and I can research and work on it together.

From the bit that I know, it seems like you could do a lifetime of work just documenting the historical facts of the different lines of Taoism before they were merged into the 3 big Pai's.

Jonathan

Is this Longquan Temple in Haidian District, Beijing?

No sir, it's Longquan temple in Longquan district of Kunming city. :)

You won't see many foreigners with access to a temple during closed hours in Beijing, I suppose.

I know that there are several other Longquan's. At least one is Buddhist and not Taoist.

The interesting thing about this one where I studied and study is that there are two fish pools there next to each other.

One fish pool is very dark murky water, and the other is very pure and spring like.

Between them there's a small waterway, with a bridge over it.

However, the fish don't swim into each others pools!

It's very funny. Yang fish stay in yang pool and yin fish stay in yin pool.

Maybe if they meet someday it will be the end of the material world. haha

Sign in to follow this