waterdrop

Why celibacy and food matters - in a flow point of view?

Posted (edited)

Why do they talk about no masterabtion , and eat good food , and keep hui yin  up   so energy doesnt "leak"  out  -  if   we focus on flow of energy  ?   

(i even heared this guildlines from teachers that talk about flow of energy from the universe to the body and out  -  so it seems not an issue of accumilation VS flow  cause even people who focus on flow of energy talk about this things celibecy etc) 

Edited by waterdrop

It's mostly dogma and bs. Acclaimed teachers won't say this.

Good food and rest is fine, and as long as you ain't jacking it all day, every day, you're good.

• Like 1

I had very good teachers in zhineng qigong  (chinese who have been practicing from young age for hours every day)   and they talked about good food at the course ...  they talked about celibacy or at least no more than once  a week to mastuerbate  ,  they talked about keeping the bai-hui point  tucked up a bit  so qi wont "leak"  etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, waterdrop said:

I had very good teachers in zhineng qigong  (chinese who have been practicing from young age for hours every day)   and they talked about good food at the course ...  they talked about celibacy or at least no more than once  a week to mastuerbate  ,  they talked about keeping the bai-hui point  tucked up a bit  so qi wont "leak"  etc

Ok thank you for elaborating.

So yes, once a week on masturbation sounds more or less ok. Sorry, when I hear the word "celibacy", I think of people taking a strict puritan approach and avoiding it for months/years, so I am happy you aren't like this.

"Bai Hui" I can only think is about the head being lifted up by heaven/connecting you to heaven.  It is like a puppet string that pulls your head up while the rest of your body remains relaxed.

Equally as important is tucked-in tailbone and rooting in the centre of the feet.

"Leak" is just a word to help describe it. I prefer to say, everything in alignment keeps qi flowing.

But your teachers were correct :)

• Like 1

OH  yes  LOL  -  i always confuse  bai hui  with  hui yin   -            thats what i meant to write  - i will edit my original question 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, waterdrop said:

OH  yes  LOL  -  i always confuse  bai hui  with  hui yin   -            thats what i meant to write  - i will edit my original question 

In which case...

On 04/04/2020 at 12:22 AM, waterdrop said:

keep hui yin  up  

...what exactly do you mean here?

Posted (edited)

they say to tighten it  which probably brings it a bit up but not to strongly -  to be honest i dont remember the details i didnt do it much lately  maybe its to tigthen the perineum

Its crazy and funny how many times i confused bai hui with hui yin again and again  :    "tuck chin in .... huiyin lift up .... huiyin touching the sky ... huiyin merging with the sky" 

Edited by waterdrop
  • Haha 2

I was taught to gently tighten on the inhale during meditation, if that helps at all.

On 05/04/2020 at 1:59 AM, waterdrop said:

huiyin touching the sky

ouch!

:lol:

'Flow' and 'accumulation' are not two different approaches to qigong... both are necessary.

Just because someone has been doing qigong all their life doesn't mean they know what they're doing - sadly. Most people have been speaking a language all their life - but there are clear differences in how capable different people are in that language.

There are many things that 'leak' qi - or use up qi - overdoing it with sexual thought and masturbation is a big one for men... but the much bigger drain is over-thinking (having an internal dialogue)... engaging the emotions... habitual actions etc...

There are a few things that build qi... the main 'ordinary' ones are eating good food and breathing well. And most qigong systems will have (usually secret) ways of building qi in amounts that greatly exceed what is normal.

Building Qi without circulation spells disaster... Circulating without building isn't as bad - it's good for health - but you won't get far in these arts without building up huge amounts of qi also.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

wow love your answers very enlightening

maybe you can finaly explain it to me well  :    why build up huge amounts of qi ?    whats the point ? 

(also another mini question :   if i dont masterbaute i get wet dreams ....   so what is the point if anyway the energy is lost ?)

Edited by waterdrop

32 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

maybe you can finaly explain it to me well  :    why build up huge amounts of qi ?    whats the point ? 

Qi is quite a complex subject.

But in very basic terms. Qi is change. It makes change possible. Without Qi there is no change.

So for example - you could meditate and achieve a very still state. For that state to affect you - to make changes in you - you need Qi. No Qi - or not enough Qi, and it will just be an experience and won't have made a change in you.

There are other aspects of course - like the idea of qi as a fuel. But the fundamental aspect is change.

39 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

also  if i dont masterbaute i get wet dreams ....   so what is the point if anyway the energy is lost ?

moderation is key. Not too much not too little :)

Once your kidneys get stronger, you'll find your wet dreams will stop.

Once your Jing grows still, you'll find that you're less drawn to sexual thought/imagery etc.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

(How do i make my kidneys stronger ?   - mini question can answer shortly or ignore it)

Qi is quite a complex subject.

the whole spiritual path is annoyingly complex  but  your comments in general defintly made things much clearer  

To eat good food and not masturbate  are pretty easy things for me to do  (in comparison to sitting in mediation for example and dealing with all the things that come up)    but i wish i could understand why they are important  -  as in why its important to have qi in body  - if we work on strengthing the flow of qi  between the body and the world  ?    

as i heared/read from some (not former teachers)  its like (making up a bad analogy at the spot ...)  gathering and putting water into a river  that flows water will flow out anyway  instead of widening it

Edited by waterdrop

4 hours ago, freeform said:

So for example - you could meditate and achieve a very still state. For that state to affect you - to make changes in you - you need Qi. No Qi - or not enough Qi, and it will just be an experience and won't have made a change in you.

Could you give us an example of said change? Like, from one state to the next?

4 hours ago, freeform said:

Once your Jing grows still, you'll find that you're less drawn to sexual thought/imagery etc.

I assume this can also diminish after it grows it cultivation isn't maintained?

• Like 1

Any sort of pressurized system will perform less efficiently if it has a leak.

Likewise a river will be er reach the ocean if creeks and streams flow out of it instead of into it.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 11:54 PM, Rara said:
On 06/04/2020 at 7:19 PM, freeform said:

Could you give us an example of said change? Like, from one state to the next?

Sure - on a more 'mundane' level... Say you're an angry person - your natural tendency when met with some opposing form or block is to get angry - you can't help it.

It's often said that people don't change. That their reactive tendencies remain the same through life. And that's true with certain strongly ingrained tendencies.

Transformation would be a complete change - so that when you're met with an opposing form or block, you naturally and reflexively now become curious with no shred of anger left.

In words, this seems kind of minor - because we imagine that it's an easy change. But in reality, such a change is indeed very rare.

This is an example of the 'transformation of (a small aspect of) your nature'.

On 06/04/2020 at 11:54 PM, Rara said:
On 06/04/2020 at 7:19 PM, freeform said:

I assume this can also diminish after it grows it cultivation isn't maintained?

I'm sorry I don't think I understand. Are you asking whether sexual thoughts diminish when cultivation isn't maintained?

In actual fact, normally as a result of the beginning stages of cultivation, our sexual desire grows a lot - and one must do some jing stilling practices to diminish it...

Eventually, this aspect of you is completely transformed (there it is again) - meaning sexuality is there for you, but you're not controlled by it - it's not impulsive and it doesn't drive your behaviour. (And sexuality drives much of our behaviour!!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:19 PM, freeform said:

Once your kidneys get stronger, you'll find your wet dreams will stop.

Ok i got to ask about this  :   why would they get stronger ?         cause i dont have sex or mastrabte they get stronger - cause i dont waste the qi so the kidneys get stronger ? 

cause if that is the case i didnt have sex or masturbated for 4 months and i still had a wet dream once a week   while when i started i had it once every two weeks   ...  so it even got worse

On 11/04/2020 at 2:30 PM, freeform said:

It's often said that people don't change. That their reactive tendencies remain the same through life. And that's true with certain strongly ingrained tendencies.

Transformation would be a complete change - so that when you're met with an opposing form or block, you naturally and reflexively now become curious with no shred of anger left.

Thanks for this. "My anger" was absolutely insane when I was younger. I still feel it regularly, but my reactions have changed and I simmer down pretty rapidly. As it is said, things don't happen overnight.

On 11/04/2020 at 2:30 PM, freeform said:

I'm sorry I don't think I understand. Are you asking whether sexual thoughts diminish when cultivation isn't maintained?

In actual fact, normally as a result of the beginning stages of cultivation, our sexual desire grows a lot - and one must do some jing stilling practices to diminish it...

Eventually, this aspect of you is completely transformed (there it is again) - meaning sexuality is there for you, but you're not controlled by it - it's not impulsive and it doesn't drive your behaviour. (And sexuality drives much of our behaviour!!)

You did understand :) I've always wondered whether it was my age and naturally lowering testosterone levels or the practice. Perhaps both? But I have had lazy months, and that has meant one may or may have not given into some temptations.