Sign in to follow this  
Buddy

What is your avocation?

...and what is your vocation? Are they the same?

I'm a museum professional (which I love) and a part time internet marketer (see my sig link). Are you fulfilled in your work?

paypal is a wonderful thing. I guess most people here have it, too.

Luckily we're your friends so you'll tell us for free how we can make money by doing nothing.

right?

vocation- Cartography, specificly aerial photographer for a photogrammetric firm

avocation- Art, specificly figurative works in watercolor and various printmaking techniques

The day job is a nice fit for me. (later edit) Around my second or third year in university I discovered maps and decided to become a cartographer. Was facinated with the graphic component of producing maps and took several courses in graphic arts. Once I got into the profession it took a while to find my niche as a photographer. What I do is much more than taking photos. I do all the flight planning to insure that the stereo photos can be used to produce topographic maps, that requires an understanding of the entire photogrammetric process. I love the work, it's a nice blend of science and art. Couldn't see myself doing anything else. However like all jobs, the people you work for/with have much to do with enjoying the day to day grind.

p.s. Nice to have you back Rain!

Edited by Eric23

I was thinking more along the lines of...Are you doing what you love? I really enjoy what I do and would do it even if I won the lottery (although maybe not 40 hrs/week). Do you have a calling that you're not listening to? I have a couple of friends who are professional musicians. They aren't raking in the dough but they are making a living doing what they love.

cat,

Sure. But not by doing nothing. Or you could marry a rich person.

I started with article marketing. Although it's free to start it takes a LOT of work, but I like writing. You have to develop or find a product or service to promote. Then you have to research keywords. Then write and submit your work to places that want your stuff. That's it in a nutshell.

Edited by Buddy

i am content well mostly with what i do to earn a (meager by most peoples standards) living, by farming about an acre and a half, organically. In season April thru October 40 hours a week are a dream, as are 8 hour days.

So as i get older it gets tougher to get and stay in shape, and to work from dawn to dusk or almost so 6 days a week.

But i meet and work with some really incredible people!

I would do it any how pay or not, but seed and land taxes have to be paid.

But gleaning also provides a lot of satifaction.

The ongoing quest is balance in the farm, and in my life.

dave

...and what is your vocation? Are they the same?

I'm a museum professional (which I love) and a part time internet marketer (see my sig link). Are you fulfilled in your work?

You see ... I KNEW we were kindred spirits :P

I used to be a museum technician/professional as well ... how bout that!

These days my 'vocation' as in a job is as a Sleep Consultant ... helping people get more restful, healing sleep (the statistics are that over 50% of the population are suffering from some sort of sleep deprivation).

As an avocation ... well you have to put Taijiquan at the top of the list but I really believe that this is my 'true' vocation.

I guess another way to ask this question is:

"If you never had to worry about making money or fulfilling any social obligation, what would you do for the sheer LOVE of it?"

Again Taijiquan is simmering nicely on the surface. But travel would be right up there. My wife and I have planned out a couple of years on a world-wide study tour ... spending time with various teachers. Carol is a Druid/astrologer/artist so spending time in England/Wales etc. is her call. Me? I'm more of a wilderness wayfarer come kung fu lad so I would be heading for that sort of attraction. A couple years as Shen Ku masters then back home where will will distill all we have gained into a 'mystery school'.

Now that is what makes my heart sing. :D

My wife and I have planned out a couple of years on a world-wide study tour ... spending time with various teachers. Carol is a Druid/astrologer/artist so spending time in England/Wales etc. is her call.

If you end up on this plan, I'd recommend you contact Barry Spendlove. Lovely man, spent a lot of time going round the sacred sites of Britain, has a great earth connection, heals stones etc.

If you end up on this plan, I'd recommend you contact Barry Spendlove. Lovely man, spent a lot of time going round the sacred sites of Britain, has a great earth connection, heals stones etc.

Thanks for this Ian -- Will be sure to follow this up if I end up in the Old Country. :)

Sign in to follow this