Maddie

What is Taoism

1 hour ago, ReturnDragon said:

Baduanjin is Baduanjin. How many are there? Which one doesn't?

8 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

There are too many so called teacher, in the west, did not learn it correctly and start teaching. There is, one only one, Ba Duan Jin(八段錦) with distinct breathing pattern to follow. Someone just tagged "Return Spring" in front of the original name doesn't mean it is a different style. 

There are hundreds of variations of Baduanjin. I’ve learned four of them and the saying is Xiao Nian Da Tou: Small idea, big head.

So no, there is not only one Baduanjin. Your self-certainty is as horrendous as your ignorance and yet goes hand in hand.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

There are hundreds of variations of Baduanjin. I’ve learned four of them and the saying is Xiao Nian Da Tou: Small idea, big head.

So no, there is not only one Baduanjin. Your self-certainty is as horrendous as your ignorance and yet goes hand in hand.

Well, I am sure one will work for you since you had learned so many. You will never know which one is for you then. So, how much money did you pay for all that? I hope you can tell the difference and discard the bad ones.

1 minute ago, ReturnDragon said:

Well, I am sure one will work for you since you had learned so many. You will never know which one is for you then. So, how much money did you pay for all that? I hope you can tell the difference and discard the bad ones.

They belong to each of my lineages, so they are all good considering how much martial skill, health, and power my teachers have that you will never know. 

The bad advice and practice to discard just so happens to be everything you say.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

There are too many so called teacher, in the west, did not learn it correctly and start teaching. There is, one only one, Ba Duan Jin(八段錦) with distinct breathing pattern to follow. Someone just tagged "Return Spring" in front of the original name doesn't mean it is a different style. 

None of my teachers are in or from the west. And they are quite clearly different styles from two very different and very reputable schools.

19 minutes ago, Rara said:

None of my teachers are in or from the west. And they are quite clearly different styles from two very different and very reputable schools.

Good!
In that case, like you said, you just practice the one which is involved with the distinct breathing pattern to follow. The other ones are wasting your time. It makes no difference like that you were just doing some regular exercise. As a rule of thumb, practice all your styles with the deep breathing pattern. Even you weren't told by your teacher. If anyone tells you martial arts have nothing to do with deep breathing, then stay away from them. They are teaching you right.

8 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Good!
In that case, like you said, you just practice the one which is involved with the distinct breathing pattern to follow. The other ones are wasting your time. It makes no difference like that you were just doing some regular exercise. As a rule of thumb, practice all your styles with the deep breathing pattern. Even you weren't told by your teacher. If anyone tells you martial arts have nothing to do with deep breathing, then stay away from them. They are teaching you right.

Based on what?

21 minutes ago, Rara said:

Based on what?

Based on what you know and what you don't know. Never mind! I will say no more.

Edited by ReturnDragon

47 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Based on what you know and what you don't know. Never mind! I will say no more.

Well, that isn't an answer.

Why would someone teach something that is a waste of time? Who says this?

If anyone tells you martial arts have nothing to do with deep breathing, then stay away from them.

So does this mean you practice taiji with deep breathing too?

5 minutes ago, Rara said:

1. Why would someone teach something that is a waste of time? Who says this?

2. So does this mean you practice taiji with deep breathing too?

Sorry!
OK. Well, I am trying to tell you how important that beep breathing is.

1. For someone might not taught properly and teach to make money.
2. Yes, of course, deep breathing must be performed at the advance level. The goal is to coordinate the movements with breathing and coordinate the breathing with the movements. That is highest realm a Taiji practitioner wants to attain.

Just now, ReturnDragon said:

Sorry!
OK. Well, I am trying to tell you how important that beep breathing is.

1. For someone might not taught properly and teach to make money.
2. Yes, of course, deep breathing must be performed at the advance level. The goal is to coordinate the movements with breathing and coordinate the breathing with the movements. That is highest realm a Taiji practitioner wants to attain.

It appears you've never trained with someone who knew what they were doing and love to use Baidu as your teacher. 

Deep breathing happens naturally at a basic level--but oxygen once again is not qi, and you are of course, derailing this thread with more falsehoods. 

2 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

It appears you've never trained with someone who knew what they were doing and love to use Baidu as your teacher. 

Deep breathing happens naturally at a basic level--but oxygen once again is not qi, and you are of course, derailing this thread with more falsehoods. 

After all that money you spent for your training; and still no one tell you how important abdominal breathing is? You still have not digested what is the meaning of 氣沈丹田? And you are teaching too?

5 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

After all that money you spent for your training; and still no one tell you how important abdominal breathing is? You still have not digested what is the meaning of 氣沈丹田? And you are teaching too?

I was taught this from the beginning, old fart. And you will never achieve what my teachers, me, or my students have, because you cling to your Baidu searches and force them on others, while the rest of us who actually have martial and healing skill can only do our best efforts to steer neophytes away from your deception and disinformation.

I don't think anyone is disputing the importance of deep abdominal breathing. But we are putting things into context.

Calling something a "waste of time" without knowing the purpose or strategy for teaching is a pretty dismissive.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Earl Grey said:

I was taught this from the beginning, old fart. And you will never achieve what my teachers, me, or my students have, because you cling to your Baidu searches and force them on others, while the rest of us who actually have martial and healing skill can only do our best efforts to steer neophytes away from your deception and disinformation.

By your attitude, behavior and narrow-minded which had told me alot. Over and out.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rara said:

I don't think anyone is dispiting the importance of deep abdominal breathing. But we are putting things into context.

Calling something a "waste of time" without knowing the purpose or strategy for teaching is a pretty dismissive.

Whatever! I don't wish to keep going like this. You just do what you believe. Good luck!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

By your attitude, behavior and narrow-minded which had told me alot. Over and out.

Speak for yourself. I only said oxygen is not qi and that you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. You made a straw man argument alleging that I said deep abdominal breathing is not important, which I never did.

Your lies get worse and worse mainly because you believe them the more you tell them.

That or Taoist magic 🦄

Like how to get a very problematic ex to leave you alone for example lol 

Edited by dmattwads

In the spirit of exploring Tao again in the past couple days I've done "ba duan jin" Qigong again after having not for a while. I'm surprised how sore my limbs are, as though I lifted weights.

Hello! Sometimes I think about "what is a Taoist Painter?" Say you take some amount of paint, and apply it onto any object. In that very moment, you are technically a painter. Likewise some people these days are so bold as to consider themselves a taoist, simply by understanding and applying virtues described in the Tao Te Ching. Now of course, there are painters, and then there are Painters. Painters usually fall into one of two categories, practical or artistic. Practical painters might specialize in beautifying and protecting things like houses, vehicles, and furniture. Artistic painters are a different breed, concerned mostly with the capture and conveyance of ideas through imagery and color. Naturally there's lots of opportunity for crossover between the two, but by and large they are readily distinguishable. As with Taoists, occasionally you'll be able to tell just by what kind of hat they're wearing. The tools and motives of a painter working at a construction site may bear little to no resemblance to those of one in a portrait studio. Yet one is no less a painter than the other. A sailor painting a battleship may require strict adherence to military standards of quality! Meanwhile VanGogh is out huffing paint thinner while looking for that perfect angle on a landscape. Yet each has their revered place, and all rely on the infinite pliability of the Paint.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dmattwads said:

That or Taoist magic 🦄

Like how to get a very problematic ex to leave you alone for example lol 

Asking for a friend?

29 minutes ago, Rara said:

Asking for a friend?

Sure, let's go with that lol 😉

On 4/8/2020 at 3:07 PM, dmattwads said:

magic 🦄

orangepaint.jpg.4bce46826599cd5b172a02ee93ebd5fe.jpg

Imagine a skilled magician artist wished for you to vividly recall the experience of tasting a delicious piece of fruit. They would know the perfect combination of pigmented goop to smear into just the right shape that, when photonically interfaced to your retinal array, would trigger the pattern recognition capabilities of your cerebral cortex to electrically signal olfactory nerves in the same sequence as was once induced by certain volatile organic compounds, and presto! You might actually begin to physically salivate.

Nobody would have to put that kind of thought into creating and viewing paintings. It all "just works" and the experience is completely obvious and familiar. My crude spiel on physics and biology might stand a chance of being useful in proving to someone completely blind why museums got so popular. A thousand years ago, science nerds did not exist, yet plenty of people still liked paintings, so the blind would just have to take their word for it, perhaps relying on poetic comparison.

• Like 1