Maddie

What is Taoism

39 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

I believe most people, here at TDB, talked about Buddhism was referring to Tibet Buddhism.

Which is actually a fairly toxic mixture of black magic and mysticism, which has little, if anything, to do with de facto Buddhism.

I don’t think that’s a defensible statement. Yes, some of the lamas get into some bad shit, the theocratic-feudal order was bad, and the whole tulku system seems problematic but I don’t think it could be fairly said that Tibetan Buddhists are less serious about Buddhism that the ones in China, Thailand, etc.

4 minutes ago, gatito said:

Which is actually a fairly toxic mixture of black magic and mysticism,

Dalai Lama being a slave owner, a rapist and a CIA agent helped a lot to propell Tibet Buddhism to its global popularity.

@ReturnDragon

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Dalai Lama being a slave owner, a rapist and a CIA agent helped a lot to propell Tibet Buddhism to its global popularity.

Bollocks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

I don’t think that’s a defensible statement. Yes, some of the lamas get into some bad shit, the theocratic-feudal order was bad, and the whole tulku system seems problematic but I don’t think it could be fairly said that Tibetan Buddhists are less serious about Buddhism that the ones in China, Thailand, etc.

Hello to the straw man. rotfl.gif

I didn't assert that Tibetan "Buddhists" are/were "less serious".

I said “less serious about Buddhism.” You are saying they are not real Buddhists. I disagree. But if you really want to argue that put it in a different thread.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

I said “less serious about Buddhism.” You are saying they are not real Buddhists. I disagree. But if you really want to argue that put it in a different thread.

The difference that's no difference.

I actually did not assert that Tibetan "Buddhists" are/were "less serious" (about Buddhism...).

In any case, I'll probably continue to "argue" whatever I want, wherever I choose (ATM...).

However, do feel free to disagree.

That's part of the joy of the current anarchy.

rotfl.gif

8 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Yes, my question is how does one verify the Tao for themselves?

The zen way.  When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep.

You want some cosmic awakening? 

• Like 1

Question of the day:

What is the purpose of chanting in Taoist temples? What does it do?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Question of the day:

It is a form of meditation, clearing the mind and concentrating on lofty and holy thoughts. There is also the idea borrowed from Buddhism that such chanting accumulated good karma. Many of the chants invoke deities to aid the practitioner. Others have some fairly esoteric alchemical content.

• Thanks 1

The Taoist concerns with the present life as opposed to the Buddhist with after life. Therefore, the Taoist would perform chanting in the temple to help people to wash their sins and prolong life. Of cause, the Taoist does that with a ceremonial fee.

If one knows the birthday of someone may pay the heavenly master to cause pain on this individual by using a voodoo doll.  In addition, someone can pay a heavenly master to place a curse on a person by chanting.

2 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

The Taoist concerns with the present life as opposed to the Buddhist with after life.

I personally don't think this is correct if you consider the eight fold path, especially mindfulness, but I do think this is a commonly held perception. I believe in Japan people go to the Shinto shrine for this life issues and the Buddhists specialize in funerals. Not sure how this perception came to be.

10 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Question of the day:

I can only speak to the actual purpose of chanting in any temple. In my experience: chanting is supposed to be for unifying the present group into vibrational harmony with the folksoul that is residing within the temple. If the temple is vacant of the folksoul then no reason.:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

I personally don't think this is correct if you consider the eight fold path, especially mindfulness, but I do think this is a commonly held perception. I believe in Japan people go to the Shinto shrine for this life issues and the Buddhists specialize in funerals. Not sure how this perception came to be.

Perhaps I might say this. The Buddhist chanting is for a peace of mind in present life. Buddhists specialize in funerals is because they think life is miserable with the hardship and bitterness. The chanting is to help the deceased to clear all the sinful commitments in the past. So, the deceased will have a clear soul for the next life. Another thing, the purpose of chanting is to guide the deceased to have a safe journey to arrive in the next world.

Edited to add:
I am speaking on the philosophy of the Chinese Buddhism. 

Edited by ReturnDragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good stuff, good stuff, thanks for the great replies everyone! 

So in my perpetual musings it occurred to me that Taoism and Hinduism seem to have a lot of similarities.

Hinduisms gave us Yoga, Taoism gave us Qigong. Hinduism has Brahman, Taoism has Tao. Both have a wide pantheon of deities. 

I would be interested to hear about how they are similar and how they differ.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Qigong was derived from Yoga.

What is yoga and what is qigong? Fraud dragon talking about terms he knows nothing about.

21 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Hinduisms gave us Yoga, Taoism gave us Qigong.

The arts are preceeding the religions / beliefs / philosophy systems.

Arts existed since the very beginning. You could probably trace internal arts up to a millions years into the past.

One day I will commit to this research.

Edited by GSmaster
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Arts existed since the very beginning. You could probably trace internal arts up to a millions years into the past.

One day I will commit to this research.

Let's do that, my BSmaster!
Why didn't you do the research before you post?

Edited by ReturnDragon

1 minute ago, ReturnDragon said:

Let's do that my BSmaster!
Why didn't you do the research before you post?

Because to go through 1 million years of my own memories of past lives it is quite a work to do unlike googling baidu to find divine truths.

When I will be 2000 times stronger than I am now, I may commit myself to this research.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

What is yoga and what is qigong? (Fraud dragon talking about terms he knows nothing about.)

Nowaday, yoga is a holistic exercise involves with breathing. The Chinese Buddhist extracted the part of breathing and practiced by the Xiaolin monks.

The Taoist might have known the method of Qigong long time ago. At the time, it was called (吐吶)Tu Na. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Nowaday, yoga is a holistic exercise involves with breathing. The Chinese Buddhist extracted the part of breathing and practiced by the Xiaolin monks.

Yoga is just

a name of all

internal arts

coming 

from india

There is Hatha Yoga - preparing the body

There is Raja Yoga - training the mind

There is Yoga for working with karma

There is Yoga working with dreams

Mantra Yoga?

Tantra Yoga?

Kamasutra?

There is Yoga for everything absolutely

There is even Occult Arts - named Yoga

And summoning arts - named Yoga

What you think or believe yoga is, reading some baidu translator or watching some westerners in the corner of street doing is not =/= Yoga.

Some Yogi are able to fly in the sky, materialize / dematerialize their bodies, live for a thousand years without aging, breathe beneath the water, and exist in several places at the same time. The most powerful human being I ever seen, was Yogi.

What kind of holistic exercise breathing is that? 

Edited by GSmaster

9 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

A holistic exercise with breathing.

Show me exercise that allows to do this >

able to fly in the sky, materialize / dematerialize their bodies, live for a thousand years without aging, breathe beneath the water, and exist in several places at the same time. 

Edited by GSmaster