waterdrop

Microwave bad effect on food qi ?

What is the effect on microwave on food ?    does it destroy all the qi the food has ?  does it destroy just some ?

If i put some freshely picked broccoli (or any other vegetable)  and cook it in the microwave , does all the qi get destroyed ?    what if i cook the broccoli on a stove  and than re-heat it in the microwave ?

what about other cooking methods  - what is their effect and which is better qi wise   (frying,raw,oven, pot on a fire put on an electric heater etc)

• Like 2

What do you think?

My opinion on them:

"I wouldn't go near one of those devices even by wearing a radioactive suit designed to do decontamination work on Chernobyl."

Best cooking method:

#Steaming (all year round)

Colder months and/or places with high level of humidity:

#Baking

#Pan frying

-Enjoy your lovely meal

-Eat slowly and mindfully

-Bless Mother Earth first before you eat

-Be happy while you eat

-Never eat when stressed, upset or doing something else

• Like 4

Thanks for reply   -   and now to milk it further  : 

why steaming is best ? 

what about boiling in water on the stove ?

do you mean its best  qi (Chi)  wise ?  in other sense ?

Edited by waterdrop

Steaming: Yin (water) & Yang (heat). Not Qi related but about balance which is optimal in this case.

Yes boiling water too, I forgot. Also Yin & Yang efficient.

Once I met a Taiwanese food vendor in Shilin market (Taipei) who kept an ancient tradition of steaming rice. Over 1,000 years old and passed on from family to family. Originally from Ancient China obviously since Taiwan is a young country but more traditional than the mainland nevertheless. Secret technique. She didn't want to share it with me, unfortunately.

It is the best rice I have eaten in my life. Steamed rice balls sprinkled with black sesame seeds.

It was the year 2004 when I moved to Taiwan to learn Bagua Quan exclusively. I was determined un learn this art. I met He Jinghan. Old school teacher, ancient methodology. Taoist to the core.

2020 and I still think of that rice! 

The Taiwanese now how to eat!!! :)

• Like 6

Neither my wife nor I have ever gone in for microwaving anything.

I don't know particulars of what microwaving does or does not do to foods; but I know how I react when I eat food cooked or reheated in it.

Her parents tried to buy us one, (for themselves) as when they came to visit, for weeks (or sometimes months) each year and wanted to easily reheat their coffee... ffs.

That didn't fly lol.

• Like 2

I hate microwaves. Haven't used one for years. Visited my mom's, and my stepdad insists on using it. They got me one and I don't use it. Tried to give mine away. Hate it. Have no use for it; would rather eat cold food than use a microwave. 

• Like 5

So  for example you all think that chickpeas  soaked in water  than cooked in the microwave   are worse  than     cheakeps from a can ? 

or for example are spinach leaves that are cooked in the microwave worse than consuming doritos chips (which lets say is corn flour and wheat flour and a lot of oil , salt , spices and preservatives)  that were cooked in the oven in the factory ?

7 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

So  for example you all think that chickpeas  soaked in water  than cooked in the microwave   are worse  than     cheakeps from a can ? 

or for example are spinach leaves that are cooked in the microwave worse than consuming doritos chips (which lets say is corn flour and wheat flour and a lot of oil , salt , spices and preservatives)  that were cooked in the oven in the factory ?

Those are all bad. You can't rank them at all at that point because it's like comparing wet shit to dry shit--it's all shit. 

• Like 1

Well  the question from the first place was to help me make the least worst option   (and to help me understand the reasoning behind the things so i can get to my own conclusions   -  as in  "microwave destroyes all the chi ,   but if you only reheat food in the microwave that was cooked in the oven etc ...  is not that bad"  as i was told by someone

3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Well  the question from the first place was to help me make the least worst option   (and to help me understand the reasoning behind the things so i can get to my own conclusions   -  as in  "microwave destroyes all the chi ,   but if you only reheat food in the microwave that was cooked in the oven etc ...  is not that bad"  as i was told by someone

From my learnings, sadly, it’s all shit if it’s not fresh. Preservatives and GMOs are terrible, and sadly canned food can vary depending on what food is being canned. Cup ramen isn’t even food too.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Never reheat in plastic.

Never reheat twice.

Never eat something cooked 48hr+ ago.

Exceptions are some soups. 

37 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

canned food

Marinated stuff is fine, like pickles, halapenyos, e.t.c

As for ramen, you should never touch something packaged that has oil in it.. oil goes rancid after some time. 

Worse than rancid oil, could be only gutter oil, popular in china.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GSmaster said:

Marinated stuff is fine, like pickles, halapenyos, e.t.c

Thanks for clarifying. Kimchi is great. How could I forget these? Haha. 

Yep, mainly covered already. I'm always late to the party...must be a time zone thing.

Fresh, organic, wok-fried and steamed food best.

I went several months without a microwave and all was good. My landlord who sometimes crashes here put one in the kitchen, so I have used it out a few times since for reheating things but it isn't my go-to.

I don't know how much it kills qi, I'm just going with the obvious "fresher is better" and the closeness to nature that Daoism teaches us. Tbh, I haven't noticed any negative effects. Then again, I'm not exactly using it twice a day on ready-meals but I have seen the state of people that do live that way 🤣

On 30/03/2020 at 4:59 PM, Earl Grey said:

I hate microwaves. Haven't used one for years. Visited my mom's, and my stepdad insists on using it. They got me one and I don't use it. Tried to give mine away. Hate it. Have no use for it; would rather eat cold food than use a microwave. 

Further to my post above, my landlord put his old microwave in here first. I tried using it once and it locked itself and wouldn't unlock.

It turns out that it didn't like me either.

Landlord said "how the hell did you break it already?"

But that's me. Often technology breaks around me. I control this better these days, before it was out of control!

Unfortunately I wouldn't rather eat things cold. According to TCM, I'm a warm-wet food guy. Unfortunately, not supposed to eat too much spice due to yang overload, but I LOVE spice.

• Like 1

When i lived alone i used to not use the microwave at all   (but for example to avoid the microwave and laziness i did cooke for example a pot with rice and one with lentils and ate from it for five days (more than 48 hours)     -    now i live with my family and my mom all week  (Expcet at weekends)  makes food in microwave  ,  and at the moment im sick  (a cough that doesnt leave for 4 weeks now and sometimes yellow phlem)   so i try to minimize touching stuff in the kitchen and time there  so i usually eat what she makes 

so i wonder for example if she makes now spaghetti and the microwave   - and the chickpeas she made  are the exact same thing qi wise   -  i mean if microwave is that bad than maybe they are the same      or  spaghetti in the microwave VS cauliflower in  the microwave

and also if the soup she made in the microwave is the same as a bag of chips   ,  is the processed hummus paste with preservatives and all is better than chickpeas that were soaked in water and cooked in the microwave   

and maybe there is better or at least worse  (dry shit seems better than wet one)  in choosing between two foods

most   nutritionists  wont say stuff this strict about microwave  - and for example would say vegetables in the microwave are healthy even very healthy  -  so im trying to get the qi  aspect of things

*   and of course  its not just a question about my situation now but in general  its useful to know about this stuff to know more or less  whats better  if i have other choices between this kind of food or between cooking methods etc 
**   also i do want to say i ask this stuff  qi wise  not "scientifically"  cause every now and than there is a new article about a new research finding different findings  ,  not to mention stuff less known and published to the public 

If you want qi from food, you just buy fresh farm herbs and put it over the dish when its ready.

In cooked food there is limited Qi, not worth counting.

In cooked food you can count carbs / proteins / fats, macroelements.

• Like 1

In cooked food there is limited Qi

That is interesting  -  so your saying people who eat raw diet get a ton of qi ?       what about fruitrians they get even more qi ? 

2 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

so your saying people who eat raw diet get a ton of qi ?       what about fruitrians they get even more qi ? 

The body does not use Qi as fuel. If you could use Qi as fuel, you would be able to sustain yourself doing Qigong practice, without any food.

The body uses glucose or fat (ketones). The body is like a machine that you fill with oil to burn it through the engine which is called digestive system.

Fruitarians all die in 40s due to sugar overload that destroys liver and blood vessels.

• Like 2

im conufesd  you wrote  :  " In cooked food there is limited Qi, not worth counting "              hence raw food  should be considered better with more qi  ?      so a raw diet (not fruiterian spesificly )    can have much more qi  no ?   and that is suppose to be a good thing no ?

41 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

" In cooked food there is limited Qi, not worth counting "              hence raw food  should be considered better with more qi  ?      so a raw diet (not fruiterian spesificly )    can have much more qi  no ?   and that is suppose to be a good thing no ?

Amounts of Qi in food in 2020 is insignificant.

We're focusing on a high phyto-chemical content.  Phyto-chemicals are akin to ammunition for the weapons of the immune system.  Eating a high phyto-chemical diet will charge the immune system with potency.

Some foods require cooking to release phyto-chemicals, some must not be cooked, or they're destroyed.

Tomatoes are an example of a food where the phyto-chemicals are not released until gently cooked.  They are not bad for you raw, but their potential is released with gentle cooking.

Beets on the other hand, (particularly the staining property of the juice) is where the phyto-chemicals are... cooking beets breaks them down and again, doesn't make them bad for you, but destroys their benefits to the immune system and turns them into lumps of calories.  Not sure about pickled beets.

Raw Corn is another, very high in phytos, but nullified when cooked.  I've come to really prefer raw corn.

My favorite raw smoothie recipe:

16oz distilled water

fuji apple w/seeds

1 small beet

avocado w/pit (pit is loaded with phytos)

to process the avocado pit, requires a 3hp blender

handful goji berries

raw corn, cut from the cobb

1/2 cucumber

organic (must!) strawberries

palm full of cordyceps

several nodes of cilantro

several nodes of mint

1/2 lime, scrape the green zest but leave the white pith (phytos in the pith)

stalk or two of swiss charde

blend on highest setting for two cycles of one minute

• Like 2

For Big Qi I want wide open channels and strong flow.

I no longer view my subtle body as a bucket that stores Qi.

There is always a flow, but when the eddies (reservoirs) are full, this is due to increased overall flow.

Though there are pools within the subtle body, they seem more like eddies in rivers than buckets.

Think of a river when the rains have come and swollen the banks, creating eddies and side reservoirs where the water is constantly flowing in and out, yet they are so full, they are swollen and plentiful, so long as the flow remains.

Water sitting in a bucket, with no flow, is the definition of stagnation.

What I used to see years back as full or empty buckets of Qi, I now experience as wide open, or constricted channels and meridians and reservoirs.  When channels are open, flow is high and there is ample Qi to work with that is replenished as the work flows. 

Open up the channels, increase high flow, the banks of the river swell, the reservoirs are full but not stagnant.  Big Qi!

Zhou Ting-Jue.  I still hear you saying 'Big Qi' and see your 80 year old unwrinkled face smiling.

*Deep bow of gratitude wherever you be now, teacher and friend*

• Like 2

When i was a teeneager i ate from the microwave everyday.because my mother was working... if i had known back then that you can just put the food in a pot with very little water and steam it to heat it.... after a few years i somehow felt i have to stop microvaving. I think its not only qi missing... its toxic😂 everything tastes very different from cooked or fried. And i could also feel the microwaves outside the machine. Those things should be forbidden. As for qi and food. Wildherbs , sprouts , fruit , fresh leafy greens.

• Like 1

I'm sure you guys are right,

but I like to live dangerously.. and conveniently.  I'll still use it to warm up leftovers. 

• Like 1