thelerner

Think you caught Covid19, What to do

Sadly, this might become relevant to some members. 

First, without testing you don't know, but self quarantine to be safe and protect others.  That may also mean, having a healthy family member or friend, cautiously get you some groceries and long term food (while staying away from you taking care of what they touch) cause you may be there for awhile. 

The treatment generally is similar to the flu.  Rest, liquids (gatorade and drinks with electrolytes good).  Since it attacks the lungs I wonder if keeping somewhat propped up, at an angle, even when in bed helps, keep the lungs clearer.  I don't know, that's just a guess.

I bought some Zinc lozenges w/ C.  I hear taking them as soon as you feel any symptom coming on can help.  As can taking your C and D vitamins.  Don't know about mega dosing, but a decent amount.  Taomeow's Batshit Sane thread has some more things that can be taken.  Should probably bring those posts over here, as they're a great resource, but may be hard to find in the pages of other aspects of virus. 

In the US getting tested at the moment is hard.  We're supposed to call our doctor.  If we're younger, <55 and healthy they're most likely to tell us stay home. The vast majority of cases are mild, over > 60 it gets progressively more serious/life threatening.   From what I've heard, some 'mild' includes some hellish bouts of body aches and trouble breathing. 

Other advice, you guys have for people who suspect they're coming down with it?

<<Himalayan salt inhalers were recommended by Taomeow.  One's on sale at Amazon.  It got good reviews.  Maybe breathing some salt air does the lungs good?  In any case for $19 thought I'd add it to the arsenal.  I ordered the Mockins one, 4.5 stars and a pound of pink salt >>

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Other advice, you guys have for people who suspect they're coming down with it?

Yes.

Remain as calm and as as serene  as possible.

Of the two (main) possible outcomes, the considerably most likely is that you'll survive.

Remaining calm and serene will skew the odds even further in your favour.

Be Well!

Edited by gatito
  • Like 2

This site ha good information if you catch it.  Including Home Isolation.  As time goes by it may be good to plan some 'What If..' scenarios.  ie if someone gets sick what room they should be in and how to handle and keep the rest of the house as germ free as possible.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html

In other news I've learned how to use Grub Hub.. free delivery from local restaurants.  Supports them, gives us a cooking break and brave new world, they leave it at the door.  Tonight is Thai

• Like 1

In the best info that I have finally found the chief sign of concern is shortness of breath.

In nearly every case of the flu or in most cases of the corona virus - a visit to the doctor is going to do nothing more than have her or him say “well you have the flu - go home and take plenty of fluids, take it easy and get sleep.” In the case of the virus they may also study you and ask a bunch of questions but then you will be sent home with no more to do that if you had the flu.

By time you’re my age (65) you understand that there is no reason to go to the doctor in the first place. But you also understand that you are highly contagious and not to do ridiculous things like go to work and give it to others. You sequester, clean door knobs and a bunch of other things to isolate yourself and just go through it.

In the case of corona virus - the marker for calling the doctor is shortness of breath - it is advised that if you experience shortness of breath you should call your doctor and if you have trouble getting through to them then you should call 911 - that is apparently the symptom to consider a serious “get help” alert. One other would obviously and always be chest pains.

On a side note I found it interesting that Tylenol was recommended but not Advil as it apparently can destabilize or decrease certain autoimmune defenses somewhat that you specifically would best not decrease if you are fighting the virus - when I had the virus I happen to be using Advil to control sciatica and I got through the virus.

In general the virus is like a very light flu with a horrible cough that lasts a long time and is a dry cough which by the way - never breaks up and starts producing phlegm - it stays a dry long lasting cough. I coughed some times to the point of nearly puking trying to cough out something that was never there.

We used all the normal flu and cough “off the shelf” remedies and they worked fine - though we never experienced any aches or pain at all. Basically just extreme fatigue, fever and cough.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What you should do...not gonna say.

What i would do.....go into quarantine, start water fasting and then do internal work as long as possible till my energy is fried. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 3

There is a point where something can move down into the lungs and it will cause the shortness of breath, the need for a ventilator, irreparable damage and possibly lead to death. But that in most humans will not occur. 

I will post that info as I find it again.

Part of what I was trying to really convey on myprevios post here is that if you feel you might have it - it is nothing to panic about and going to the doctor will not result in getting some cure or medicine you cannot already get at the store - they are not interested in doing much in most cases because the protocol is basically the same for the common flu. The only difference is that they will hopefully be interested in keeping track of how you are doing, where you have been and adding you to the local and national stats. 

In fact unless you are a wealthy highly insured person they will not monitor how you are doing (in the USA) but tell you if this or that occurs call us, otherwise go home sequester and take it easy.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Spotless said:

In the best info that I have finally found the chief sign of concern is shortness of breath.

In general the virus is like a very light flu with a horrible cough that lasts a long time and is a dry cough which by the way - never breaks up and starts producing phlegm - it stays a dry long lasting cough. I coughed some times to the point of nearly puking trying to cough out something that was never there.

We used all the normal flu and cough “off the shelf” remedies and they worked fine - though we never experienced any aches or pain at all. Basically just extreme fatigue, fever and cough.

Whoa, so you had it.  How are you now? 

How's your family? 

12 hours ago, thelerner said:

Whoa, so you had it.  How are you now? 

How's your family? 

We are all fine - 

My son had the big fatigue and a cough but not a bad one and his fever got to 102

I and the fatigue, fever and a really really bad dry cough - so bad that I lost my voice for a week and six weeks later my voice is not the same and may never be.

My wife had a mild fever and a long lasting but much milder dry cough and no fatigue - the cough lasted at least 6 weeks for her before she said it was finally truly gone.

We did not experience aches and pain, no diarrhea or stomach problems, no massive sweating or chills - it was the most pleasant flu I have ever experienced with the exception of the cough 😷 

It never occurred to me that we had the virus but it was striking how different the experience was from any flu I have had or seen. Normally during flu season if I am coming down with a flu the tell tale signs of aching and feeling hot are clear indications that you will never forget after you have had them a few times. My son got it first and when I asked him questions nothing he said seemed to indicate a flu or much of anything - I though he was just trying to get out of school. Then when he was still in bed and I noticed he was not reading or playing or anything I checked his forehead and he was really hot -102.

He slept or just laid there for days only getting up here and there - but his humor was fine and he did not exhibit signs of really being super sick other than the fever, a mild cough and laying in bed not even going upstairs to play video games. His stomach was fine, his appetite was ok and he was not coughing up anything or sounding off - simple children’s aspirin brought down the fever and it was no problem to maintain - no diarrhea - a practically pleasant experience compared to anything I had know called the flu.

I came down with it just as he was about to go back to school. Everything was the same for me but the cough was much much worse.

Compared to the last time I had the flu around 15 years ago it was nothing at all except for the cough.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4

This is from a recent article:  

https://apple.news/A-CsMWe4kRTiIqsOf3ko2rw

“While a majority of patients who become infected with the coronavirus appear to have mild symptoms, or no symptoms at all, it's becoming clear that those with the most severe complications must spend a significant amount of time in the ICU.”

excerpt from above article

This is not something you will recognize as “different” until perhaps you realize if you contract the cough that it is and stays a dry cough. You may have forgotten the last time you had the flu that it also came with a pile of really shitty feeling things and sweats and chills and feeling like you were going to die. 

Perhaps that is the biggest problem - my wife certainly had no idea she had it, my son and I thought it was the common flu.

We isolated our son and myself but my wife was working full time with a mild but very persistent dry cough.

You can have this very life threatening illness and have no recognition of it - at least until now hopefully after reading this - you don’t turn green and have a bullseye on your forehead - one day you can simply have it and be a carrier and a week later have an odd cough and then feel fine in a week or so all the while reading about the corona virus and what it’s like. Or you might suddenly feel really tired all the time and start taking supplements because you think perhaps age has finally caught up with you and then you feel better and go on with everything having no idea that you were tired because you had the virus.

Thats why the shortness of breath marker is a bid big thing - if you are ill it is probably going to be fine - but if you experience shortness of breath you need to contact your doctor - I DO NOT MEAN SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT - I mean talk to her/him and if you are unable to actually get through live - then call 911.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing.  I am so glad you and yours are feeling better.  I assume your family is pretty typical, and sadly 100,000's or millions will be following in your foot steps.  Hope they, and we, do as well. 

• Like 2

@Spotless is this the flu you wrote to me about? My wife and I got something nasty from our trip to LA in December. Laid me out twice in 4 weeks (Worst flu I’ve had in ages) and had a bad lung infection too. But not sure if it was CoVid-19 or something else. When I visited my doctor we didn’t yet know about covid-19 being around since November ‘19. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, dwai said:

@Spotless is this the flu you wrote to me about? My wife and I got something nasty from our trip to LA in December. Laid me out twice in 4 weeks (Worst flu I’ve had in ages) and had a bad lung infection too. But not sure if it was CoVid-19 or something else. When I visited my doctor we didn’t yet know about covid-19 being around since November ‘19. 

Yes - that’s the one I mentioned to you - just recovering from it on Feb 10th.

It will be interesting to see what’s up when they have antibody testing available.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

Lately I'm reading this sober article- https://medium.com/@jasonwbae/what-the-covid-19-death-toll-tells-us-about-the-next-2-weeks-224a2203ff4b

"On Thursday, March 26th, the U.S. overtook China and Italy as the country with the highest number of COVID-19 cases, at more than 85,000 cases. Today, there are more than 100,000 confirmed cases in the U.S.

While these are significant milestones, the number of confirmed cases in the U.S. tells us very little about the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic in this country. I discussed in my previous article that, because of (1) the lag between infection and reporting and (2) a high prevalence of untested and unreported cases, the confirmed case number drastically underestimates the extent of the pandemic in the U.S. today. The number of active infections in the U.S. is estimated to be ~100 times or more of what is confirmed today, likely in millions to tens of millions.

You may be wondering, “if the confirmed case number is not a helpful measure of the COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S., what else should we pay attention to?”

The number of COVID-19 deaths remains the most reliable indicator of the pandemic.

The death toll number, unlike the confirmed case number, does not depend on the availability of testing, therefore is a more reliable signal for the severity of the pandemic (we will assume here that a negligible number of COVID-19 deaths goes unreported).

Yet, the death toll number still suffers from the same issue of delay as the confirmed case number. Given that COVID-19 victims die on average 18 days after they experience their first symptom and a typical incubation period for COVID-19 is 5 days, the death figure lags the number of infections by 23 days. In other words, the cumulative death toll represents where we were in the spread of this pandemic approximately 3 weeks ago (*I will use 3 weeks for both the infection-to-death lag and the intervention-to-impact-on-death lag going forward).

So, what do the current and historical COVID-19 death numbers tell us about where we are in this pandemic and where we are headed in the near future?

The cumulative death toll has been increasing by 31% each day, or doubling every 2.6 days

Social interventions did not start until March 10th, therefore, we will continue to see the cumulative death number double at the current rate until March 31st.

The U.S. did not take COVID-19 seriously until mid-March. On March 10th, “social distancing” and “flatten the curve” started trending on social media. On March 13th, Trump declared a national emergency. California was the first state to announce the statewide shelter-in-place on March 19th. Other states followed with their shelter-in-place orders between March 21st and 25th.

Based on the events above, I use the following parameters for my projection:

Death numbers continue to rise at the doubling time of 2.6 days (daily increase rate of 31%) as it has been.

On March 31st — 3 weeks after the March 10th social media campaign — we begin to see the infection transmission slow down to a 5.2 day doubling time (daily increase rate of 14%).

Cumulative death numbers are projected to exceed 4,500 by the end of March, and 20,000 by Easter Sunday, April 12th.

Compare these death numbers to the current (March 27, 5PM EDT) death toll of 1,581 in the U.S., 3296 in China, and 9,134 in Italy .

Lower bound of estimate assumes the doubling times of 5.2 days between March 26-April 1, and 7.8 days thereafter. Upper bound of estimate assumes the doubling times of 2.6 days between March 26-April 5, and 5.2 days thereafter.

This exponential growth in deaths does NOT mean social distancing and shelter-in-place are not working.

It simply means that it is too early for the impact of these social interventions to be reflected in the death toll number due to the ~3 week lag.

So what now?   We must all prepare for the incoming tsunami of COVID-19 patients.  My alma mater Yale University has converted its gym into a hospital floor to care for COVID-19 patients. On March 26th, Governor Cuomo of New York approved a single ventilator to be shared by two patients.

Obviously the mismatch between the demand and the supply of hospital resources including hospital beds, ICU beds, and ventilators, as well as the estimated times of peak demand will vary by state as seen below."

Scary stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I collect guided meditations thought I'd link to some that may help people:

a 28 minute meditation on healing from flu and colds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK7Y6mTjtrc

Here's an hour long one that drops you into sleep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTeTeIiC9s&t=27s

Are these miraculous cures.  No.  But try them with an open mind.  I feel they can help.  Lay down set your phone to them.  Or if your fancy you can try to make them into mp3's. 

For fun-

When I'm up very early, 4 or 5am, this is fun one to listen too  Lucid Dreaming to become your own superhero.  Also by Unlock Your Life.  Its 45 minutes.  It doesn't tend to make me lucid, it does bring out fun superhero dreams.  Therapeutically it also has a section on watching your mind as 3rd party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Depwrh-PR8A&t=421s

Edited by thelerner

One of my business partners has clearcut symptoms of Covid19 right now and tested negative. 

His investigation among healthcare providers at our local institutions and labs reveals that Covid19 testing locally appears to have a 20-30% false negative rate. This means that 20-30% of people who HAVE Covid19 will erroneously test NEGATIVE.

Edited by steve
  • Like 4

Son took a quick down turn after seven days of dry cough and mild fever.

Drs office was quite smooth and well run.  They are seperately treating and bringing in only one patient at a time, no packing up their waiting rooms. They examined and tested him for three strains of flu.  All negatives.  She said, "I've seldom been disheartened to tell a parent their child does not have the flu. "

So she sent us home, no prescription (that says a mountain full in and of itself) and then emphasized... "his lungs sound beautiful.  Monitor his breathing and if there's any sudden change, go to this hospital for testing, but we won't test him in his current state, just assume he's got it."

So we're quarantined now, though due to my and our reclusive nature, we naturally isolate when I'm not on a show. We've been sheltering in place since I left my show back in late January.  Only interacting directly when we went out to shop.  Otherwise we spend out times in our home and on walks/hikes. 

Dr was not concerned for Connor as his vitality and medical history is remarkable, she noted again on seeing him.  But she was, as am I, very  concerned for the implication to my wife, who's been battling immuno-deficiency most of her life.  Crohn's like symptoms of an immune system prone to attacking itself...

But we've done all we can, we're well stocked for a long spell indoors, we've got support of local friends who can bring what we need (not likely) to our door and drop it for us, just in case.  I've liquidated enough reserves for us to live up to 18months without income and we've enough food in my MRE's and camping reserves for 60-80 days.  As long as power is up, I can distill our water as per usual.

So we've done all we can.  Now the focus is on keeping spirits high.  Eating well, resting often and relishing the intimacy we'll have for the next weeks/months.  My guitar skills are improving noticably, Connor is writing daily and expanding his science studies on his own.  My gal is in a state of extreme quiet and bliss, alongside accute tension and worry.

And my lungs are processing energy from 3 am on each day in a way so profound, it's waking me up and catapulting shifting resonation through all aspects of being like a cosmic inner bell.

We play the five organ circuit as a family, our cats are absolutely in heaven with us around all the time.

In short, we're thriving in the midst of this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Spotless, thanks so much for the insights.

My son has been coughing for 2 days.  He feels fine, no temperature, has been working out.. 

Having been told that info,  my walking partner has walked out on me.   One of my sisters expressed disappointed that I have a walking friend whom I walk within 6 feet of, a few days a week, until now. 

Hard not to be a little paranoid, every time I hear him cough.   I'm taking 2 or 3 zinc lozenges a day.  I'd like to get him on them.  Maybe the next week will tell if he has it.  If he does, I wonder how likely it is all 5 in the family has it?

Just talked to my very conservative neighbor, who was a emergency room doctor, who lectured about the hoax-like nature of the virus and how its being overblown by the media..  sigh..   Helped him put up some trellis for flowers this spring.  Flowers.. Gods way of telling us the world is beautiful and will go on.. along with hay fever, allergies and what nots.

• Like 4

Interesting pattern to his fever.

His fever starts about mid day, peaks just under 102 in the early evening then breaks on its own about 10pm.  No treatments for fever any longer.  My wife is a tough sell on this point, especially when the Dr's push fever reducers... but we've reached a compromise on it that I can function with.  I got her to stop feeding him cow's milk years ago, so she's open to research and changing perspective.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this pattern to their fever?

His energy is back up and was about 3 hours after coming home from DR and has remained so.  He's sleeping well.  Lungs still sound beautiful today.

He's currently back to utterly normal daily self, aside from the persistent cough and light fever... and total freedom from 8th grade studies.

Currently focused, present and vital, and on reprieve from all homeschooling by teachers; he's hooked up with his best friend who moved to Arizona last Sept and another buddy.  They're coop gaming together online, with headsets, almost as if they were still in the living room together.

Mom has the dry cough, but has been exposed for at least 11 days, so i'm relaxing a bit on her expression of symptoms given her body conditions.

Still no symptoms for me, but there were some characteristic flashes, indicative that my body was responding to some thing.  I haven't had a cold or flu since Connor was in preschool, 11 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Apech said:

We may have to put up with some severe restrictions for a month or two.  But, I agree with him that we must be vigilant about ANY attempts to leave ANY of the restrictions in place afterwards..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, moment said:

We may have to put up with some severe restrictions for a month or two.  But, I agree with him that we must be vigilant about ANY attempts to leave ANY of the restrictions in place afterwards..

unfortunately, this isnt what usually happens. I hope it will. But, if history has shown us anything, is once more power is ceded to the government or womever they tend to keep it and in fact push it further if allowed. In this case, the populace has almost begged for it and just using 9/11 as an example, many of the things pushed through afterward never went away.

In the UK some of the stuff they pushed through so quickly with pretty much no resistance and little awareness from the masses is pretty startling. also add in the fact that theyve crashed the economy and people will be desperate for relief. its like a perfect  storm, and It could be just the beginning.

Edited by bax44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1