Vajra Fist

It's all getting too much

On 26.03.2020 at 11:04 PM, Vajra Fist said:

Everyday there seem to be a million new threads from

Its been going downhill since forever, it was quite bad even 2-3 years ago when I first joined. There is nothing can be done about it.

It will only get worse.

Wait till there will be zero constructive or worthy discussions, and most people left who have cultivational experience, will only indulge in profound internal art of destroying by words.

46 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Its been going downhill since forever, it was quite bad even 2-3 years ago when I first joined. There is nothing can be done about it.

It will only get worse.

Wait till there will be zero constructive or worthy discussions, and most people left who have cultivational experience, will only indulge in profound internal art of destroying by words.

Here's what I have been doing and hoping others will follow suit, like Walker and such:

Having actual topics of interest discussed and doing our best to sweep away the dust of bogus and troll topics like the ones mentioned in the OP here. 

There's a tendency for this forum now to focus on agreeableness, and this is fine--but for more serious discussions, if this trend doesn't change I might consider going elsewhere at a certain point where there is more quality control and invite a few members here there.

Only a consideration though--the Flying Phoenix thread is still here and one of the few things that makes this forum and its history worth preserving. 

So if people like Heartbreak who is mentioned in the OP want to keep spamming threads with garbage misogynistic and racist crap, rideforever wants to force his Alt-Right views and ignore direct questions so he can continue faffing everywhere, Stosh and others keep posting ignoble things, as gatito said, it's street rules here. We can let this place become a rundown area with a few plots of land where serious work is done (which is actually how a lot of masters hide ;) ), or we can all do our part to sweep the place and improve it with quality discussion.

Big problem now though: plenty of new sign-ups are messaging me of all people because they can't get approval to post with Sean not here to officialize their membership for them. 

Now we're stuck with who is here, can't bring in new voices, can't eliminate fools, can't take punitive measures against them, and the majority of this forum wants sugar, spice, and everything nice. Most masters I know are nice, but when it comes to serious discussion, wow, it's a lot of salt and vinegar.

• Like 5

moon and tides

ebb and flow

always rise with fall

dao does not travel in one direction

the action of dao is a bellows

inexaustible

gossamer

evanescent

within every action

every motion

there is a point of stillness

from which the action arises

about which it pivots

and to which... it returns

stillness, inexhaustible

patience

wisdom

vision

endurance

vitality

dao bums, always shifting

you prove its worth with every contributed minute of presence

and serve it with every word, typed or read.

all contributions serve, as in cultivation all is grist for the mill.

even untruth, serves truth, when inevitably revealed as untrue.

all presence and contributions are noted and appreciated

straw dogs...

Edited by silent thunder
swapped out a word
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Here's what I have been doing and hoping others will follow suit, like Walker and such:

Thats solid point and its hard to keep it up.

By discussing idiots like Heartbreaker or giving him attention the place only gets worse.

Its hard to find any topic in last week or two on cultivation.

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

moon and tides

that is sad to see

whatever your smoking you should stop it

47 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Thats solid point and its hard to keep it up.

I mean it's not like we don't try to focus on cultivation topics, but some people confuse spiritual development with cultivation, which is a technical thing...some people think by cultivating, you will become spiritual and mature, but that's not necessarily true.

Most people would either like to be hippies hugging each other and preaching tolerance--but how do we discuss cultivation if they go into hippy mode? How do we keep cultivation serious if someone keeps interrupting, begging for techniques, or has made up their own system that actually is based off of pseudoscience conspiracies on aliens and the CIA or saying that Buddha activated his LDT and if you don't know which movements in Taiji activate which meridians, chakras, and dantians, then you don't know anything? 

So we have hippies trying to sing kumbaya, we have know-it-alls who actually don't have any skill whatsoever, we have people begging for free teachings, we have people insulting one another then getting mad when they get insulted back---all often in the same thread when we're trying to talk technicalities of cultivation. 

I'm at a point I may just have one thread on my PPJ and invite people there to discuss cultivation only, where everyone else will just have their posts deleted or hidden if they can't stay on topic, and staying on topic or following rules is just too tough here at times.

51 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

By discussing idiots like Heartbreaker or giving him attention the place only gets worse.

Yeah, problem is, if we ignore it, it affects the quality of the forum while preaching tolerance and turning away people who still can't get membership approved. Sadly, we can't eliminate him or compel him and folks like him to stop, so the insults tend to be the last resort. Tolerating bad behavior normalizes it and doesn't make us more compassionate or enlightened, it just shows who has a more comfortable life and house that ignores how others suffer when they have less. It's the same as saying, "You're not as developed, you'd better develop" and creates a spiritual elitism indirectly even if they use words like acceptance, compassion, empathy, getting along, loving, blah blah blah....a lot like Jeff's crap. 

53 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Its hard to find any topic in last week or two on cultivation.

Yeah, I'll keep some of those topics I want to talk about in my PPJ at this point and let others come in if they want to talk about it there or invite others in a tag if I think they have something good to share. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

but how do we discuss cultivation if they go into hippy mode? How do we keep cultivation serious

Cultivation is a brutal thing.

A error you end up lost / dead / delusional

Correcting errors is a serious thing and its brutal once again.

Will never happen in hippie, love you all, we are all friends community.
I cant even bother anymore. Some guys think they are enlightened, when he gets delusional to a degree of hallucinations and deep euphoria states of mind. (Same as being drunkard).

I may just have one thread on my PPJ and invite people there to discuss cultivation only

You could do that, you also would need to delete / hide "I agree we are friends posts". 

Sadly, we can't eliminate him or compel him and folks like him to stop, so the insults tend to be the last resort.

Yeah its a lose-lose situation, have to force him to quit to not kill our brains and this place further.

Did not someone catch @Heartbreak copypasting stuff from e-conspiracy websites? He is not even making shit up he catches the worst shit off the internet and posts here.

Edited by GSmaster
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bindi said:

Actually, most of the moderators were directed to leave by the owner of the site for holding right wing views.

If you want to isolate yourself from 95% of the universe because they are "right wing" ... then CV19 is the least of your problems.

42 minutes ago, rideforever said:

If you want to isolate yourself from 95% of the universe because they are "right wing" ... then CV19 is the least of your problems.

For an engineer, you failed your maths to think 95% of the universe is "right-wing". It appears you don't even realize that the current Alt-Right have qualities that are not even "Right Wing" given that actual Right-Wingers have a mindset more pronounced in the Cold War NATO alliance rather than this contemporary isolationist and nationalist view. 

You've failed as a cultivator, mathematician, historian, sociologist, and biologist, your rhetoric and your logic are absent, and you stay here out of stubborn need to talk out of your ass, faffing left and right when you've already been told you're not welcome by Sean and contribute nothing but complaints about being ostracized without observing your own behavior. 

One day, you will either get tired of it, or you will continue to live the rest of your life miserably the way you are. 

I know that I am quite a newbie, plus I was not here for about a year because I stormed off. But! I think that the Dao Bums is in a better shape than it was a year ago. At least from my small reduced point of view. For example the buddhist sub is actually having new posts. And yes, many posts end up with insults and fights which is a shame, however it is still kinda living here.

Is there actually anybody who is a mod? I would not mind helping out with it. It seems this is mostly what this forum needs, bit more active mod team.

• Like 2

Well, I still kinda like it here. It only takes a bit of time before we just gravitate towards the threads and people that we want to, anyway.

What's the problem?

• Like 5

On 3/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, Vajra Fist said:

Everyday there seem to be a million new threads from @Heartbreak all of which just end up with all of us kicking the shit out of each other. It's getting too much and to be honest it feels like the final death knell of TDB. Which is a damn shame.

Can I propose a consensus? @Heartbreakcan you just keep all your thoughts in one thread, rather than creating one every day? I understand you want to speak your mind, but honestly you're spamming the forum and it's killing it for the rest of us. Soon you'll end up being the only person still using this site, which isn't it your interest either. 

If Heartbreak agrees to this, can we all agree to just let him have his space without criticism or attacks? If there's just one thread it's easy for the rest of us to be able to talk about other stuff too, which gets lost in all the noise. I hope we can sort something out because I've spent six good years on this forum and I've come to appreciate all of you. It would be a shame to see so many people driven away because of this. 

I agree with many of your concerns but, you are giving heartbreak way too much power.  Minor irritants are not going to kill TDB.

These Corona times are a major irritant and it tends to distort our perception.  But, the good hearts here will prevail.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Having actual topics of interest discussed and doing our best to sweep away the dust of bogus and troll topics like the ones mentioned in the OP here. 

There's a tendency for this forum now to focus on agreeableness, and this is fine--but for more serious discussions, if this trend doesn't change I might consider going elsewhere at a certain point where there is more quality control and invite a few members here there.

Only a consideration though--the Flying Phoenix thread is still here and one of the few things that makes this forum and its history worth preserving. 

So if people like Heartbreak who is mentioned in the OP want to keep spamming threads with garbage misogynistic and racist crap, rideforever wants to force his Alt-Right views and ignore direct questions so he can continue faffing everywhere, Stosh and others keep posting ignoble things, as gatito said, it's street rules here. We can let this place become a rundown area with a few plots of land where serious work is done (which is actually how a lot of masters hide ;) ), or we can all do our part to sweep the place and improve it with quality discussion.

Big problem now though: plenty of new sign-ups are messaging me of all people because they can't get approval to post with Sean not here to officialize their membership for them. 

Now we're stuck with who is here, can't bring in new voices, can't eliminate fools, can't take punitive measures against them, and the majority of this forum wants sugar, spice, and everything nice. Most masters I know are nice, but when it comes to serious discussion, wow, it's a lot of salt and vinegar.

The chronically negative people here live miserable lives, it is obvious on the face of it.  May it either fill us with sympathy/pity/sadness for them or, we can gain satisfaction from the hell they apparently live in. I feel all of these for them, at one time or another.  But, they are minor passings that do not disturb my center.

You and I and many of our friends are here and that is a very good thing!

Edited by moment
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, silent thunder said:

moon and tides

ebb and flow

always rise with fall

dao does not travel in one direction

the action of dao is a bellows

inexaustible

gossamer

evanescent

within every action

every motion

there is a point of stillness

from which the action arises

about which it pivots

and to which... it returns

stillness, inexhaustible

patience

wisdom

vision

endurance

vitality

dao bums, always shifting

you prove its worth with every contributed minute of presence

and serve it with every word, typed or read.

all contributions serve, as in cultivation all is grist for the mill.

even untruth, serves truth, when inevitably revealed as untrue.

all presence and contributions are noted and appreciated

straw dogs...

Ah!  Many times you and I have discussed that swinging gate and how that  pause in the middle is where all real strength is. Be well my friend!

Edited by moment
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Miroku said:

I know that I am quite a newbie, plus I was not here for about a year because I stormed off. But! I think that the Dao Bums is in a better shape than it was a year ago. At least from my small reduced point of view. For example the buddhist sub is actually having new posts. And yes, many posts end up with insults and fights which is a shame, however it is still kinda living here.

Is there actually anybody who is a mod? I would not mind helping out with it. It seems this is mostly what this forum needs, bit more active mod team.

No mods and no real way of creating any currently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moment said:

No mods and no real way of creating any currently.

Well, that is bad. :D

On 3/26/2020 at 4:09 PM, Heartbreak said:

I apologise to Vajra Fist if he thinks I am spamming.

I will try to limit similar postings to one thread.

Kudos, big step forward!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nungali said:

That particular 'grain of truth'  applies only to some

[...]

That’s exactly what I implied.

It’s merely an appearance that the entire membership is stupid.

rotfl.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, old3bob said:

rocked out with old Santana music for a bit, lifted my spirits

Dancing is great for the stress and fear

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rara said:

Well, I still kinda like it here. It only takes a bit of time before we just gravitate towards the threads and people that we want to, anyway.

And it's easy to spot the dynamic of the fish who are easily trolled and to ignore those Awesome MembersTM (and their fanbois) as well.

1 hour ago, Rara said:

What's the problem?

None.

I prefer street rules myself, as it sorts all of the residue the wheat from the chaff Awesome MembersTM.

• Like 1

To my knowledge there are no mods currently

It is a challenging position but somewhat fun and rewarding.

People are deeply attached to their perspectives and entrenched in their behaviors.

Some are malicious and some simply unable to change.

You can't please everyone and need to simply be OK with that.

Every now and then people will show some appreciation.

It's also fun to get a peak behind the scenes.

I was a mod with a handful of other members for a year or so.
We developed a nice relationship and our friendships persist to this day.

I think you have the mindset to be a superb moderator and would encourage you send a PM to @sean if you are genuinely interested.

Although, I don't know what's in his mind.

He may prefer to simply let things play out as is currently happening.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steve said:

People are deeply attached to their perspectives and entrenched in their behaviors.

That's certainly true for some people, which is one explanation for why they're so easily triggered by the trolls.

I find the current atmosphere is still rather tame compared to early Bums activity.

Ebb and Flow, Rise and Fall.

The Bums'll shift again soon enough.

Storms can't sustain indefinitely.

Folks are all extra twitchy from the extreme conditions present.

This prompts more extreme reactions, both beneficial and petty.

My son nailed it when he was four.

"dad, remember.  we gotta give extra love to the mad people.  they need it most."

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I find the current atmosphere is still rather tame compared to early Bums activity.

QFT!

A lot more interesting posts and posters in the TaoBums day's, as well.

Maybe @sean killed the forum with the name change?

Or perhaps it was already dead by then and dawei and Co. just buried it?