Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

The Live Conversation thread

This may or may not work, but lets try.  This thread is for people to talk to each other immediately.  Realize it is very not private, so please please be polite.   Being concise might work better too. 

Maybe it can function like the long missing Live Discussion function we had years ago.  Only messier.  

If you see someone's online that you want to talk to.  Post and mention @theirname and wait.  Or you can PM them.  Maybe this'll work, maybe it'll drift down stream.  

• Like 1

testing looking for @liminal_luke and @Taomeow, what's happening?  What you up to?

.. now I wait..

and @Seatle185 or @anyone

this is like the Old Chat where you'd log on and wait.. still sometimes it worked nicely.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Me and mine are healthy.  Nothing much, need to listen to the audio book I got from the library using the Overlook app. 

Whats the Yi Jin Jing video like?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

By Robert Peng.  Different movements to empower each of the 12 meridians and associated organ systems.  Figure I should up my practices these days for health.  

I like Peng.  I've gotten some small works by him from True Sounds.  I should probably review them soon.  One was on breathing, I think the other was a guided hypnotic.  I didn't use it much but it was good.  I'll have to dig it out.

2 minutes ago, thelerner said:

testing looking for @liminal_luke and @Taomeow, what's happening?  What you up to?

.. now I wait..

Well, was about to step away from my computer when I saw this. :D  

Good idea though, thanks.

So, once I do step away (very hard these days, has been since January), I'm going to finish making dinner.  (It's 6 pm here).  My teff dough has risen so I'll put the loaf in the oven.  The liver for the liver pate has been cooked and now I need to finish working on it, recreating the time-honored family recipe.  Then I'll also grate and prepare a humongous horseradish root which I've been meaning to utilize for the longest time -- it will make enough antiviral, delicious, and seriously dangerous prepared horseradish to last me till the end of a lockdown of any length -- well, any realistic length.  Then I will watch the next episode of Season 3 of Babylon Berlin.  Then I will give my son a prophylactic fire cupping treatment and check the computer again.  And if I don't get pulled into this or that rabbit hole, meditate for half an hour and go to bed.           

• Like 2

well save some of that savory grub for me.  screw isolation, I'm heading over :)

that video you had today.  Showed the guys doing shots of horse radish vodka!

Edited by thelerner
  • Haha 1

Have a good night.  Since I'm 2 hours in the future, I can tell you, it'll be a good one. 

• Like 1

Oh, I love horseradish! Just finished writing an email to one of my buddies in Palm Springs.  A group of five of us usually gets together for movies and I suggested a virtual movie night.  We could all watch the same movie on Netflix at exactly the same time with our cell phones on speaker to call out comments on the good/bad parts.  Would miss the communal happy hours though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Taomeow You figured in my dreams last night, giving stock market advice of all things -- something I don´t imagine you doing much in real life.  I asked if you thought we´d hit a bottom after yesterday´s big rally and you said no way, this coronavirus thing ain´t over yet.  Well...that last part does sound like something I could imagine you saying.

The market went up again today but I´m betting on the dream cat -- it´s not over.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

@Taomeow You figured in my dreams last night, giving stock market advice of all things -- something I don´t imagine you doing much in real life.  I asked if you thought we´d hit a bottom after yesterday´s big rally and you said no way, this coronavirus thing ain´t over yet.  Well...that last part does sound like something I could imagine you saying.

The market went up again today but I´m betting on the dream cat -- it´s not over.  

I'll take stock market advice from nearly anyone -- can barter for advice on nearly anything else. :) 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Who's here now that has any new discoveries or improvements in their practice since quarantine? 

No improvements but my Oura smart ring tracks my heart rate and heart variable during meditation.  I usually set it for 30 minutes and see the record.  My meditation has 6 parts.  Some sections create faster heart rate then others.  I want to do better quantifying it.  Maybe do each part for the entire meditation and see how my heart rate does for each one singly. 

For example 4rth part is concentration on the dan tien.  5th part is letting that focus go, but breathing as quietly as possible.  The 6th is letting that go and just sitting, welcoming thought, doing nothing.  I'll track my heart rate during these meditations. 

Why, idk.  gotta use my gadgets and something to do.   

2 minutes ago, thelerner said:

No improvements but my Oura smart ring tracks my heart rate and heart variable during meditation.  I usually set it for 30 minutes and see the record.  My meditation has 6 parts.  Some sections create faster heart rate then others.  I want to do better quantifying it.  Maybe do each part for the entire meditation and see how my heart rate does for each one singly. 

For example 4rth part is concentration on the dan tien.  5th part is letting that focus go, but breathing as quietly as possible.  The 6th is letting that go and just sitting, welcoming thought, doing nothing.  I'll track my heart rate during these meditations. 

Why, idk.  gotta use my gadgets and something to do.   

Almost sounds like a post-cyberpunk description of meditation, where technology and organic lifeforms are no longer in conflict and contrast, but ever-entwined with each other, a la Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan graphic novel series.

I've personally had my own improvements recently in Zhan Zhuang mostly for Xin Yi along with sensitivity for Taijiquan, so I'm pretty happy with current improvements. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I've personally had my own improvements recently in Zhan Zhuang mostly for Xin Yi along with sensitivity for Taijiquan, so I'm pretty happy with current improvements. 

Nice, love to hear details about how people do standing meditation, but time for me hit the sack. 

Good night.

8 hours ago, thelerner said:

Nice, love to hear details about how people do standing meditation, but time for me hit the sack. 

Good night.

Ask away--but remember I come from Xin Yi and it's different from how a lot of people here practice, which tends to be a lot different from what is taught in the LKC book. 

Catch me in my PPJ if you want to talk ZZ. 

Good night. 

Edited by Earl Grey

Sign in to follow this