thelerner

A Little Extra Info to New Members

Welcome, glad you're here. We look forward to you sharing your thoughts and practices and adding to discussions in our various threads.

This forum can be a wonderful social outlet.  Especially now during the pandemic.  I'm not a moderator but I'd like to ask you to keep a few things in mind.  Tensions are running a little higher.  So, try to be nice, that tends to defuse things, don't make things personal or toss around insults. 

Keep in mind that every statement here should have 'IMO', (In My Opinion) infront of it but that'd look odd, so we don't.  Assume all advice is 'internet' advice, ie somebody's hearsay, and check it out with reliable sources, ie real experts.. not just groups that agrees with you.  That goes double, no triple for any kind of medical and psychological advice given here.  

That's it, STay Calm, Post on. 

and don't forget to smile.

even if its a smirk.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The main thing a new comer should learn to use on this forum is the Ignore List.

As many members unfortunately lost touch with reality and their own brain and with lack of moderation on the forum..

Here is an example how your ignore list may look like once you are accustomed to the forum. There are few members I cannot put in the list due to "forum bug".

1ignore.thumb.JPG.3538e577d285e1f51fd53bb3a1bd1ef4.JPG

ignore3.JPG.04a9275f55f5663e9128c52f2e186fee.JPG

Edited by GSmaster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, virtue said:

That's quite a gallery of rogues you have there!

My personal long time collection, I am proud of it! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GSmaster said:

The main thing a new comer should learn to use on this forum is the Ignore List.

As many members unfortunately lost touch with reality and their own brain and with lack of moderation on the forum..

Here is an example how your ignore list may look like once you are accustomed to the forum. There are few members I cannot put in the list due to "forum bug".

I am going in the same direction myself.  I find that if you put the childish friends of idiots on ignore also, then you won't see their inanities quoted.  Also, when you have a lot of people on ignore, then it's a lot easier to just scroll past all the blanked posts with no temptation to look at them.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, thelerner said:

Welcome, glad you're here. We look forward to you sharing your thoughts and practices and adding to discussions in our various threads.

This forum can be a wonderful social outlet.  Especially now during the pandemic.  I'm not a moderator but I'd like to ask you to keep a few things in mind.  Tensions are running a little higher.  So, try to be nice, that tends to defuse things, don't make things personal or toss around insults. 

Keep in mind that every statement here should have 'IMO', (In My Opinion) infront of it but that'd look odd, so we don't.  Assume all advice is 'internet' advice, ie somebody's hearsay, and check it out with reliable sources, ie real experts.. not just groups that agrees with you.  That goes double, no triple for any kind of medical and psychological advice given here.  

That's it, STay Calm, Post on. 

and don't forget to smile.

even if its a smirk.

I love when you play moderator ^^

2 hours ago, Starjumper said:

I am going in the same direction myself.  I find that if you put the childish friends of idiots on ignore also, then you won't see their inanities quoted.  Also, when you have a lot of people on ignore, then it's a lot easier to just scroll past all the blanked posts with no temptation to look at them.

Its very chill when you open thread and see this.

5e7a3e6948562_tdbforumexperience.JPG.b42b7de3bf033ab4362eb1d2e3792820.JPG

It is like a landmine successfully avoided.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GSmaster said:

My personal long time collection, I am proud of it! :lol:

It's so long he may as well be writing in a word processor. 

What's cool is I can write things like- GSmaster your mother wears pink army boots.  And it doesn't matter, he won't see it.

Its good to use the Ignore function if it keeps you from getting aggravated or into constant fights.

Its better to just not read posts and threads from people you think are jerks.

Best is to develop enough equilibrium so your not upset.  I'm not there yet, but getting closer, inch by inch.

The forum is for connecting, sharing, learning.. shooting the breeze.  If we're aggravated or shouting or constantly incensed,  we should take a break for awhile.  Come back fresh.  Craziness tend to implode and go away, to later get replaced with other crazy.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing that forums or internet does best.

Is bringing people together across different social groups and levels of spiritual development. Something that never happens in real life.

You can meet masters even on TDB, who spend dozens of weeks in uninterrupted concetrated meditation, who progressed on the path to enlightenment, doing this for decades already,

on other hand you have some random jerks, untrained individuals,  unable to produce meaningful sentences or express their thoughts, and spending time randomly barking on anyone who stands out of their dogmatic belief system.

1 hour ago, GSmaster said:

spending time randomly barking on anyone who stands out of their dogmatic belief system.

I agree with you there.  Amazed at the people who spend there time barking criticisms at others, almost daily.  I believe the Buddha once said 'Criticizing others is like a burning coal, only good for cooking hot dogs'.. something like that, things get lost in translation.  

Criticism are like throws in martial arts.  If you don't have a connection with the person your throw or criticism doesn't work, has no affect.

I've found going to an Ashram and other retreats that there's wide variety of people at different groups and levels.  You can learn from teachers and from beginners, especially from their enthusiasm. 

Masters though.. they are rare.  Rarer then enlightened people imo, though it depends on one's definitions.  If you're enlightened you don't necessarily care about becoming a master.   Seems more like a goal early on. 

• Thanks 1

Great idea @thelerner!

I might run off with it and develop it further in my PPF - if I find time.

In the interim I'll recycle this as food for thought for any potential fuckwits among the new members - of course:

rotfl.gif

On 25.03.2020 at 2:35 AM, thelerner said:

I believe the Buddha once said

The thing is.. It does not matter what Buddha said, or John Chang said.. 

If you don't have a connection with the person your throw or criticism doesn't work, has no affect.

Why do you believe anyone cares to affect you in the first place? :huh:

going to an Ashram and other retreats

So a public place that is most certain to have none of practitioners of advanced level. Even beginners would be rare on public gatherings.

Realize this thing, I have went to closed retreats, where you cant go if you cant see energy and dont have 10+ years of experience. I have been tested for years to be able to get recommendation and go for this.

Things open for everyone are what they are a beginners pool. Most people there are sick, have no energy, are delusional, have no siddhi.

Rarer then enlightened people imo, though it depends on one's definitions.  If you're enlightened you don't necessarily care about becoming a master.   Seems more like a goal early on. 

We have discussed it many times about enlightenment.

There is no smoke without fire and there is no enlightenment without some serious powers.

As there are multiple stages of enlightenment.

At the very least on early stages, you will be able to do something nobody else can among mortals, whenever its an ability to see through spirit planes and ghosts, or an ability to stand for 4 hours a day in ZZ effortlessly.

On later stages you will become an immortal or a God, with an ability to come and go from mortal plane as you wish.

On 25.03.2020 at 2:54 AM, gatito said:

among the new members

There probably wont be any new members anytime soon, as they dont get approval from Sean anymore.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GSmaster said:

The thing is.. It does not matter what Buddha said, or John Chang said.. 

I believe we can learn from wise men.  As examples, as pointers, teachers.  Thus it kinda does matter.  Unless you already know the stuff already.

Why do you believe anyone cares to affect you in the first place? :huh:

That wasn't about me, it was aimed at Trolls in general, ie if you want to have an affect on someone its bad to start out negative.

I thought I was on your ignore list.  Please feel free to put me on there.  Cause I consider you a childish troll. 

Edited by thelerner

3 hours ago, GSmaster said:

There probably wont be any new members anytime soon, as they dont get approval from Sean anymore.

I was referring to the post-TaoBums influx.

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

I thought I was on your ignore list.

I get notifications whenever you quote posts, even if you are in ignore list.

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

we can learn from wise men.  As examples, as pointers, teachers.

The learner can learn something from wise men? Unbelievable.

Thats the whole idea of quoting someone out of context and out of their own mouth (after 50x translations and edits by other humans), that you dont understand the ideas and concepts and you hide behind the authority or the big "Name" of Buddha. If you know any kind of truth, saying with your own words and from own experience is more meaningful than making dead quotes.

21 minutes ago, thelerner said:

frig, the GStroll is still at it. 

I am not a troll.

You can just keep quoting stuff for 20 years instead of actually learning something.

thank you GStroll.   Keep writing 'I am not a troll'.  

I know one day you won't be :) 

On 3/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, GSmaster said:

I love your ignore list, it reveals so much about you.

2 minutes ago, moment said:

I love your ignore list, it reveals so much about you.

So, what color of socks is he wearing right now? What is his favorite dish? Is he left or right handed?

On 3/24/2020 at 10:29 AM, SirPalomides said:

Imagine being this insecure ^

Well, GS has had several meltdowns.