Sign in to follow this  
MuadDib

Strange Dream

I had a strange dream a few days ago. I was on my own, somewhere indoors, a dimly lit and heavy environment. I started turning around my own axis, like those whirling dervishes, but moving very slowly. After a couple of full turns, my body slowly started to raise from the floor, just a few inches. As I kept whirling slowly and floating, I thought to myself "Whoa, so that's what it feels like to float!" It was an exhilirating experience. After a while, I had more control and was able to move like astronauts do in a zero-gravity environment. Turning upside down etc. Then I thought "This is great, but if I wanted to do this again by will, I probably won't be able to." It was clearly something that happened to me, and not something that I made happen. Shortly after that, the dream ended. It felt pretty real. 

Any similar experiences?

• Like 2

I've some vivid sense memories of hovering and gliding as a very young child.

Countless lucid dream experiences of flight, levitation, becoming vapourous/transparent/miasmic.

Also a period of time where I was simultaneously fully conscious in two bodies in lucid dreams... one was usually normal size and one utterly gigantic.

I practiced whirling meditation for a time in the Sufi tradition... it was profoundly intense.

My last performance as an actor was at LaMama, Off-Broadway in the 90's.

The show was an adaptation of the poetry of Rumi and an exploration of the time he spent with his Sufi teacher in the desert.  In preparation, we spent several months studying and whirling intensively.  Many intense occurances played out during this period of my life.

Whirling was profoundly impacting, so intense, it didn't carry on long term.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MuadDib said:

Any similar experiences?

I've had many dreams of all kinds of different flying and levitation, and i remember them well while having forgotten all other dreams.  What you had is a type of levitation dream.  Depending on what you practice, it could be an indication of progress, or of somebody 'upstairs' teaching you via dreams.  What is important to note is, what was your intent while it was happening?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MuadDib said:

I had a strange dream a few days ago. I was on my own, somewhere indoors, a dimly lit and heavy environment. I started turning around my own axis, like those whirling dervishes, but moving very slowly. After a couple of full turns, my body slowly started to raise from the floor, just a few inches. As I kept whirling slowly and floating, I thought to myself "Whoa, so that's what it feels like to float!" It was an exhilirating experience. After a while, I had more control and was able to move like astronauts do in a zero-gravity environment. Turning upside down etc. Then I thought "This is great, but if I wanted to do this again by will, I probably won't be able to." It was clearly something that happened to me, and not something that I made happen. Shortly after that, the dream ended. It felt pretty real. 

Any similar experiences?

Yes, I’ve had similar experiences.

Dreams are wonderful.

I practice dream and sleep yoga.

When you cultivate the ability to become lucid in the dream and aware in deep, dreamless sleep the possibilities are endless! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Starjumper said:

What is important to note is, what was your intent while it was happening?

I can't recall a specific intent of mine while it happened. It felt like the natural course of things to happen, although what happened is not exactly natural:lol:

I do simple practices like zhan zhuang, some basic yoga for stretching, some meditations on the chakras - nothing fancy.

I do feel unwell due to the virus situation. Having to work from home, suffering huge financial losses, worrying about parents' health etc. Maybe the dream was related to that...

Sign in to follow this