Just now, old3bob said:

I saw a video of a guy who if I remember correctly could fire off a single action faster than a semi-auto fires, seems impossible but he did set some kind of record.

Did he use a speedloader? 

1 minute ago, ralis said:

No muskets in your arsenal? :lol:

I did have a Hawkins 50 cal blackpower when I thought I wanted to be a mountain man like back in the 1830's.

Also had a single shot, smooth bore black powder pistol which was fun to plink with until it was not.

5 minutes ago, ralis said:

I have no problem with mentally stable persons owning firearms with legal imposed limitations. That should include mandatory liability insurance. 

There are many gun toting individuals out here in the Wild West which includes Cowboys For Trump. Occasionally, I see a gun toting person with an AR15 which I avoid. I can usually tell by the way such a person carries a gun and their body language if they are even safe to be around.

Yes I see that and always think "why, just why"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Did he use a speedloader? 

I don't remember the details, but it could probably be found on the internet...

16 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Finally we have something in common.  Almost.  I prefer double action.     

If I could only have one, it would be a double action revolver and a few speed loaders...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, old3bob said:

I did have a Hawkins 50 cal blackpower when I thought I wanted to be a mountain man like back in the 1830's.

Also had a single shot, smooth bore black powder pistol which was fun to plink with until it was not.

thus went to mountain man rendezvous for awhile and still do sometimes which my wife is not to crazy about, lol

(btw. I really miss my beautiful tipi)

11 minutes ago, ralis said:

No muskets in your arsenal? :lol:

I built one from a kit as a teen but it got destroyed in a flood! .50 cal flintlock muzzle loader.

😁

My father and uncle are veterans and I was surrounded by guns as a child. Fortunately I was taught well and learned to respect them. I used to do some minor tinkering on 1911 style autos. I lost interest in them several years ago and they just sit in the safe. I bring them out from time to time for basic maintenance but haven’t fired one in years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well I prefer a handmade 1930's type hot rod over all the new high tech super rides - which I guess parallels  why I prefer a single action old west revolver.

Edited by old3bob

I was pimping this in Starbucks the other day. Then I went to McDonald's for some Arquebus at the D. Some A at the D if you will.

arquebus-early-long-gun-15th-century-illustration-id1147568541.jpg

Edited by dmattwads
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, steve said:

If I could only have one, it would be a double action revolver and a few speed loaders...

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." -- John Keats

I think I started with a Norwalk juicer on my long and winding road to appreciation of all reliable, time tested, sturdy, honest, no gimmicks, no plastic designs.  God only knows where it will take me.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." -- John Keats

I think I started with a Norwalk juicer on my long and winding road to appreciation of all reliable, time tested, sturdy, honest, no gimmicks, no plastic designs.  God only knows where it will take me.    

I´d be interested in any recommendations you might care to make in the "reliable, time tested, sturdy, honest, no gimmicks, no plastic designs" department -- especially of kitchen implements.  (Years ago I got interested in pressure cooking and recently tried to look up my old pressure cooker cookbook.  These days everything has gone Instant Pot -- yikes!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I´d be interested in any recommendations you might care to make in the "reliable, time tested, sturdy, honest, no gimmicks, no plastic designs" department -- especially of kitchen implements.  (Years ago I got interested in pressure cooking and recently tried to look up my old pressure cooker cookbook.  These days everything has gone Instant Pot -- yikes!)

Happy to be of help -- but that's probably better suited for another thread.   (Unless of course our political process is expected to emulate the Ukrainian one of 2013-2014 -- not that far-fetched, since the players are the same and so is the playbook -- where kitchen utensils had a prominent presence: )

ÐÑо "каÑÑÑÑлеголовÑÑ". Ðз иÑÑоÑии вопÑоÑа

ÐÐµÐ½Ñ ÐºÐ°ÑÑÑÑлеголовÑÑ. Ðни â здобÑлÑ, а Ñего добилÑÑ ÑÑ? - ÐÐТÐФÐШÐСТ

image.png.fd857b8430ef132bdb0cc20455d89e9c.png

If you like, start a thread where I can make suggestions regarding their more traditional use in "healthy bums" or wherever.   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

@ralis

the model she chose to carry reveals quite a bit. Each model, each firearm, has a specific philosophy of use. Boebert’s choice to carry the Glock 43 reveals a philosophy of personal self defense. She is a female, 5’0 and 100 pounds. The 43 holds a ten round clip and even Biden is fine with ten round magazines. 
she didn’t choose to carry a rifle or even another Glock, the 26, which has the same 9mm caliber, similar size, but has a higher magazine capacity. The 43 is called by many the “ladies Glock”

what happened to the ralis that used to proclaim supporting women’s rights? 

I am not a member of the NRA. I do support the idea of giving a woman some peace of mind when it comes to being able to defend themself.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

On 10/01/2021 at 12:18 PM, manitou said:

What is this little gray square all about?  Why are the letters so small??  I can't get rid of this stupid thing.   HELLLLLLLPPPPP!!!

What grey square  ?    What small letters ? 

26054506.jpg

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ralis said:

I have no problem with mentally stable persons owning firearms with legal imposed limitations. That should include mandatory liability insurance. 

There are many gun toting individuals out here in the Wild West which includes Cowboys For Trump. Occasionally, I see a gun toting person with an AR15 which I avoid. I can usually tell by the way such a person carries a gun and their body language if they are even safe to be around.

I suggest future presidential candidates have to pass a  ' Dunning - Kruger Syndrome  Assessment ' .

Spoiler

dunning-kruger.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, zerostao said:

@ralis

the model she chose to carry reveals quite a bit. Each model, each firearm, has a specific philosophy of use. Boebert’s choice to carry the Glock 43 reveals a philosophy of personal self defense. She is a female, 5’0 and 100 pounds. The 43 holds a ten round clip and even Biden is fine with ten round magazines. 
she didn’t choose to carry a rifle or even another Glock, the 26, which has the same 9mm caliber, similar size, but has a higher magazine capacity. The 43 is called by many the “ladies Glock”

what happened to the ralis that used to proclaim supporting women’s rights? 

I am not a member of the NRA. I do support the idea of giving a woman some peace of mind when it comes to being able to defend themself.

Great going guys .... in a thread where you are outraged about what happened   'for some reason ' in good ol USA  now you have diverted to a conversation about your gun collections and the guns you like .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLcQPD80h07I2D-rkUlIg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, zerostao said:

She is a female, 5’0 and 100 pounds.

And mother of four in a city close to the nationwide top in crime.

When I was a little girl, one day a man exposed himself to me when I was coming back home from somewhere around 7 pm and then charged me.  I ran.  It was already dark and there were no people around.  I ran into the nearest entrance to a four-story residential building and to the top floor, rang someone's door and asked to make a phone call.  They let me.  I called my dad and explained the situation -- I was afraid to go home because someone was trying to hunt me down.  He told me to wait where I was (which was outside that apartment where they let me make the phone call but offered no other assistance) and after a while my dad showed up, with a pair of pliers in his hand.  He had no other weapons.  (You know, the Soviet Union...  they took everybody's guns first thing toward making it what it was meant to be.)  The perv was, luckily, gone by then.  I asked my dad, what were you planning to do with that thing in case you had to fight with him -- pinch his nose?  ???

That's just one story from my nostalgic past.  I could tell a few dozen.        

More than anything I wanted to be an American when I was 13.  I wanted to have a gun.  

When I actually became an American I forgot all about the gun for the longest time.

Until not so long ago.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Great going guys .... in a thread where you are outraged about what happened   'for some reason ' in good ol USA  now you have diverted to a conversation about your gun collections and the guns you like 

Authentic people can be so surprising!  Just when you think you have them figured out, neatly categorized by political leanings, they swerve the other way.  Probably people are like this all over the world but if there´s anything Great about the US in the best sense, I think it´s that we can occasionally celebrate our idiosyncracies.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Great going guys .... in a thread where you are outraged about what happened   'for some reason ' in good ol USA  now you have diverted to a conversation about your gun collections and the guns you like .

I seldom have a problem with morphing off topic here and there when it is civil. (even during uncivil events like we had at the capitol)    Btw. why would a seemingly A-Z , and renaissance kind of sounding guy like your self have a problem with that?   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

And mother of four in a city close to the nationwide top in crime.

When I was a little girl, one day a man exposed himself to me when I was coming back home from somewhere around 7 pm and then charged me.  I ran.  It was already dark and there were no people around.  I ran into the nearest entrance to a four-story residential building and to the top floor, rang someone's door and asked to make a phone call.  They let me.  I called my dad and explained the situation -- I was afraid to go home because someone was trying to hunt me down.  He told me to wait where I was (which was outside that apartment where they let me make the phone call but offered no other assistance) and after a while my dad showed up, with a pair of pliers in his hand.  He had no other weapons.  (You know, the Soviet Union...  they took everybody's guns first thing toward making it what it was meant to be.)  The perv was, luckily, gone by then.  I asked my dad, what were you planning to do with that thing in case you had to fight with him -- pinch his nose?  ???

That's just one story from my nostalgic past.  I could tell a few dozen.        

More than anything I wanted to be an American when I was 13.  I wanted to have a gun.  

When I actually became an American I forgot all about the gun for the longest time.

Until not so long ago.  

Sorry to hear that story :-/.

I think I knew were were from the former Soviet Union but I guess I didn't know you now lived in the US. Reason I mention this is because my ex is from the former Soviet Union as well, but is one of those really annoying Russian evangelical Christians that think they are better than literally everyone else on the planet. She and her family moved here supposedly due to religious persecution and then have not ceased to complain about the US since they got here. They think Americans are dumb, America is dumb, American Christians are bad Christians and would all just jabber on in Russian right in front of me for years even though they could speak English.

Anyways sorry for the rant, my point is I find it interesting that as a immigrant from the former Soviet Union you don't seem to come across that way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Dear Nungali, 

yes, outrage for what happened; and there remains the sense that it isn’t quite over yet. Inauguration is on the 20th. Guns are always totally relevant in any American political discussion. 
The threat is a growing one

Edited by zerostao
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Sorry to hear that story :-/.

I think I knew were were from the former Soviet Union but I guess I didn't know you now lived in the US. Reason I mention this is because my ex is from the former Soviet Union as well, but is one of those really annoying Russian evangelical Christians that think they are better than literally everyone else on the planet. She and her family moved here supposedly due to religious persecution and then have not ceased to complain about the US since they got here. They think Americans are dumb, America is dumb, American Christians are bad Christians and would all just jabber on in Russian right in front of me for years even though they could speak English.

Anyways sorry for the rant, my point is I find it interesting that as a immigrant from the former Soviet Union you don't seem to come across that way.

There's no shortage of annoying Russians anywhere these days.  Sorry to hear you ran into one a whole bunch of them so closely.

There's also no shortage of mutlicultural, broad-minded, aware, and all-around decent Russians either, it's just that Hollywood and the media prefer to portray the former to the exclusion of the latter.

Far as the language is concerned, I have to make a concession for your annoying ex-relatives.  I was an English/comparative linguistics major and even a slightly published American sci-fi author who has no trouble speaking English at all -- except to family members.  My children find it easier to speak English than Russian, but since they are fluent in both, I can speak whatever language I please with them, and Russian comes as default, even though most of the time they reply in English.   Some (most) of my relatives here have children married to Americans and always complain that speaking English all the time in the presence of their American family side is tremendously stressful and tiring.  Only some of them are Christians, and most don't complain of anything in the amount in excess of what Americans born here indulge in complaining about, thought the choice of particular areas of dissatisfaction might differ.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

There's no shortage of annoying Russians anywhere these days.  Sorry to hear you ran into one a whole bunch of them so closely.

There's also no shortage of mutlicultural, broad-minded, aware, and all-around decent Russians either, it's just that Hollywood and the media prefer to portray the former to the exclusion of the latter.

Far as the language is concerned, I have to make a concession for your annoying ex-relatives.  I was an English/comparative linguistics major and even a slightly published American sci-fi author who has no trouble speaking English at all -- except to family members.  My children find it easier to speak English than Russian, but since they are fluent in both, I can speak whatever language I please with them, and Russian comes as default, even though most of the time they reply in English.   Some (most) of my relatives here have children married to Americans and always complain that speaking English all the time in the presence of their American family side is tremendously stressful and tiring.  Only some of them are Christians, and most don't complain of anything in the amount in excess of what Americans born here indulge in complaining about, thought the choice of particular areas of dissatisfaction might differ.

I was fortunate to become acquainted with "regular" Russians when I was in University that more of the broad minded variety that you mentioned. This caused me to feel that is wasn't the Russian aspect but the super annoying and judgmental evangelical Christian aspect that was so annoying. 

The home grown version of those evangelicals are really annoying as well and have contributed much to the topic that this thread is devoted to.

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 1