Goku76

Good things to keep in mind when cultivating

When you guys breathe into the dantien do you feel the dantien expand with the air, then on the out breath it's absorbed and condensed, or do you just feel the breath be absorbed by the dantien with no expansion at all then with the out breath almost pack it in. Because a lot of people use the analogy of the dantien being like a balloon that expands with the breath, but for whatever reason it feels more normal to just have the breath be absorbed with no expansion at all. Any thoughts?

Did you miss the dantien awareness debate, @Goku76?  Many practitioners, including the uncharacteristically quiet Earl Grey above, chimed in to say that focusing on the lower dan tien was counterproductive.  Personally, I´d always heard the opposite.  

I´d say this:  if you are following a practice of a particular teacher, great.  Otherwise it´s probably not a good idea thinking too much about what´s happening with the energy of your breath.  It´s especially not a good idea to do any "packing."  Best to just breathe.  Breathe and be aware.  Allow what wants to happen to happen.  The body is generally more intelligent than we are.  I´m a big advocate of awareness and following the body.  Tinkering is more dangerous.

• Like 2