statusquovadis

Finding a master or school

On 2020. 03. 27. at 4:45 AM, GSmaster said:

But if you want to continue development, it is always meaningful to find teacher of a higher level.

Its just that they are rare, incredibly rare. None of them is teaching publicly, most of them are unknown to public, and you cannot find these people just "going to some area, or region" you need a sort of recommendation to begin with.

So, basically none of the teachers/schools that you can find publicly/online are "the real thing"? If this is true, then 99% of us are doomed from the start, and there's no point in even trying to find a source of authentic teaching.

Edited by Ekstasis

Just now, Ekstasis said:

So, basically none of the teachers/schools that you can find publicly/online are "the real thing"? If this is true, then 99% of us are domed from the start, and there's no point in even trying to find a source of authentic teaching.

It is a simple hierarchy. You want to learn the real knowledge which is University R/D Departments and Practical Labs. But to get there you first have to go to school, and learn incomplete, wrong, simplified stuff.

Then you go to university, and learn some basic stuff.

Then you go for PhD and e.t.c

Most people weed themselves out (drop out) or keep doing same kindergarten stuff over and over till dead.

If you have strong desire / intent to do it, you will get through whatever the odds.

You can imagine there are schools and teachers who wont take someone who does not have an abilitiy to see energy or does not have a strong foundation for example. They just dont want to waste their time on someone who have yet to step into the realm of cultivation.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ekstasis said:

"the real thing"? If this is true, then 99% of us are domed from the start, and there's no point in even trying to find a source of authentic teaching.

And you know whats funny?

Is that in kindergarten they will tell you that they all can meditate, and meditation is something that they know how to do.

When you get to PhD levels, they will tell you that meditation is high level attainment and barely anyone can do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ekstasis said:

So, basically none of the teachers/schools that you can find publicly/online are "the real thing"? If this is true, then 99% of us are doomed from the start, and there's no point in even trying to find a source of authentic teaching.

Well some might point you to some other teachers that are the "real thing" or that they themselves can point you to others and so on. If you don't start walking you won't arrive anywhere and there is no chance of arriving where you want. Going from 0 chances to 1 in a billion is still an infinitely large step. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zork said:

Well some might point you to some other teachers that are the "real thing" or that they themselves can point you to others and so on. If you don't start walking you won't arrive anywhere and there is no chance of arriving where you want. Going from 0 chances to 1 in a billion is still an infinitely large step. :)

Take, assess, test and use that which works for you.

Refine it.

Discard the dross.

Remember: there's nothing new under the Sun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ekstasis said:

Good schools are online, as are bad ones. You can definitely find the real deal there, but ask around first before committing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rara said:

Good schools are online, as are bad ones. You can definitely find the real deal there, but ask around first before committing.

Bottom line:

• Most of the shit schools are online.
  • Many of the outstanding schools aren't online - they're solely word-of-mouth, as they've been for millennia (before the internet popped-up a few years ago).
  • The Truth's always available to everyone directly.
  • You are your own final arbiter.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 9:55 AM, Wu Ming Jen said:

So someone asked what is the international language? (not yet because I keep posting with no replies) The answer is a combination of intention, body language and mental state of being. Everyone in the world can understand us with out any words.

The down side is we can not deceive and miss lead others with words, words greatest gifts are to say the half truths of our experience with false energetic quality. This makes for great actors and actress. What movies are made of...so great!

Thanks for the replies aka spam. Sorry i've been busy with RL stuff, didn't realize no email notification from thread replies.

Thanks again! With the virus and whatnots any plans delayed indefinitely but no issue practice can happen any place and time. Take care and be well, friend.

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2020 at 4:48 PM, Rara said:

It's actually quite spooky how that works with these guys. But one will definitely find their way if they allow it. I like to call it "heaven carrying us to places".

I honestly think the OP will make it. He might even be on his way now, against all odds lol

Haha, no just been buried under work stuff. And not knowing how the site notifications work. Practice happens as it happens... interesting times we are in. Take care and wishing you well! 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, GSmaster said:

You clearly dont know what you are talking about and your argumentation is that of a 6 year old.

To learn any art you need to spend many years in dedicated training under close watch / guidance of a master.

Online schools are far superior as you will be able to continuously study and get feedback on your practice, on daily / weekly basis.

Not once a year, or in a group seminar where teacher cares to get rid of you as quickly as possible, and dont have time for personal lessons, or there are some people here who claimed they studied from some master after visiting just 1!! offline seminar.

Anything that happens once a year and is claimed to be "Internal Arts" is a scam, whenever it is Wang Liping or how JC trained his western "students".

Right because in internet people speak not from mouth, but from ass, you must be talking from personal example of self. 

Thats bullshit. Real truth is hard to earn, usually a tiny bit comes by blood, sweat, money, effort, and time.

The majority of people just select random bullshit to believe it and claim it is an ultimate truth.

So you say online schools are far superior to traditional schools with a long lineage.  You are a laugh a minute.

On 02/04/2020 at 11:36 PM, GSmaster said:

And you know whats funny?

Is that in kindergarten they will tell you that they all can meditate, and meditation is something that they know how to do.

When you get to PhD levels, they will tell you that meditation is high level attainment and barely anyone can do it.

This is an interesting take.

As mentioned in OP, my path meanders from the physical (jing) to the mental (meditation, shen). Qi is something in between, which both sides touch on at some point. Very different approaches, and I bet those folks teaching meditation for beginners would like to have a word with you! 😄

I'd recommend John Yates' The Mind Illuminated to anyone interested in meditation but not quite sure how to go about it. Work up to stage 8-9 and tell me if it doesn't improve your practice at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sramana said:

So you say online schools are far superior to traditional schools with a long lineage.  You are a laugh a minute.

Its much better to have 100x lessons with master and feedback on practice, than 1 lesson in a year in a large group.

If you study online and being able to develop that means the teacher can project his Qi from distance, Thats wonderful.

I only have a decade of practice under the belt, but I have done much more practice that most people in their lifetime.

The reason is, the practice was boosted by tech / was online.

Some take 5 years to learn qi sensitivity, took me 1 day. In 1 month, I could walk with eyes blindfolded, in a dense forest and never hit a tree. In 2 months I have passed ESP tactile extrasensory tests, and in 1 year I could see energy as you see physical table, in 2 years I had eidetic memory, super fast read ability.

Don't see your arguments or your brain.

5 minutes ago, statusquovadis said:

I bet those folks teaching meditation for beginners would like to have a word with you! 😄

They can teach meditation, they can practice meditation for 25 years, but they don't know what meditation is.

It is a level that is hard to attain. It is no different from siddhi or a supernatural power.

Learning meditation is just as easy as becoming a Buddha.

The problem is that people believe they learned meditation, they teach it, they will never progress in the skill of meditation.

Personally I have reached quite a high / rare level, but I can see in front of me some much higher leves to be attained.

Edited by GSmaster

1 minute ago, GSmaster said:

They can teach meditation, they can practice meditation for 25 years, but they don't know what meditation is.

It is a level that is hard to attain. It is no different from siddhi or a supernatural power.

Learning meditation is just as easy as becoming a Buddha.

The problem is that people believe they learned meditation, they teach it, they will never progress in the skill of meditation.

Personally I have reached quite a high / rare level, but I can see in front of me some much higher leves to be attained.

Agree that not *all* teachers of meditation know what they are doing, years of experience notwithstanding. But if you've been following current trends with what is called pragmatic dharma, you'll understand what i'm talking about.

Yes, there are higher levels still. It's an asymptote.

• Like 1

My own work with teachers online is that they already come from established lineages, so studying online doesn't mean that one has no lineage, and studying in person with someone doesn't mean that they necessarily are better, with or without lineage, because their ability to teach is one big issue, plus if they actually did learn properly. 

There are some people I've spoken with who talk a big game online, but when meeting them, they are quite weak when it comes to martial application, and when it comes to health, the current crisis only reinforced how good my teachers and their skills are in terms of health and longevity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

My own work with teachers online is that they already come from established lineages, so studying online doesn't mean that one has no lineage, and studying in person with someone doesn't mean that they necessarily are better,

Wait for 5 year old kids logic to kick in and tell you are wrong.

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

their ability to teach is one big issue

After a decade of experience I could say I have found something close to ideal in terms of learning / teaching.

So 2 offline retreats per year. It could be in a city, rented hall / large room or penthouse, or it could be on a place of power, in mountains, in various countries.

20 online seminars per year, each seminar atleast 12 hours of guided practice / teaching.

Online seminars are nothing like "online seminars" most people experienced, not just talk talk talk do something yourself. It should be a practice with master, where teacher projects Qi or Altered states of mind or non-verbal knowledge.

So a combo of offline / online teaching will give best results, and it has to go consistently over 5 years.

Edited by GSmaster
  • Thanks 1

I definitely prefer in person teaching. I can learn a fair amount online as well as how I teach my own students, but there are limitations for certain practices.

For Xin Yi, the foundation had to be in person for me, then I was able to learn most other practices when the master was traveling, meeting up periodically to adjust if necessary and test for strength and power while building skills.

The background I have in my other practices allowed me to teach students online first then when meeting in person, only a few adjustments. For the moment, they have to do a lot of homework and self work. This is crucial for them developing their own path with what we teach as a safe foundation, provided they listen and follow what is instructed.

3 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I can learn a fair amount online as well as how I teach my own students, but there are limitations for certain practices.

Thats true for Qigong arts. Although with some comprehension ability its possible to learn / notice subtle things even from video demonstration without any words.

Some practices require partner as to be able to influence and project Qi. If you practice Solo, for a long time you will not know if you are actually strong or have real powers, or just imagining things, until you test it on someone.

I mean if we take martial arts, its almost impossible to learn online.

6 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

they have to do a lot of homework and self work. This is crucial

It is crucial when students are able to get feedback from master, any way possible. A correction should happen once a week, in worse case once a month.

If you come 1 time to WLP seminar how are you gonna get any feedback later on? Got his whatsapp to ask questions? 

Ppl claiming they are WLP students are just ridiculously delusional.

38 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Thats true for Qigong arts. Although with some comprehension ability its possible to learn / notice subtle things even from video demonstration without any words.

Some practices require partner as to be able to influence and project Qi. If you practice Solo, for a long time you will not know if you are actually strong or have real powers, or just imagining things, until you test it on someone.

I mean if we take martial arts, its almost impossible to learn online.

It is crucial when students are able to get feedback from master, any way possible. A correction should happen once a week, in worse case once a month.

If you come 1 time to WLP seminar how are you gonna get any feedback later on? Got his whatsapp to ask questions? 

Ppl claiming they are WLP students are just ridiculously delusional.

I actually do text my teachers. ☺️

They required me to have a foundation before they could be comfortable giving tips and guiding from an SMS.

This is for power and adjustments of some meditative techniques, but again, without proper foundation, nothing makes sense because I wouldn’t even have the ability to know what to ask or look for that they do.

These days the questions i ask give them insight as to where I am and meeting up later proves it because they can see the skill is there. Case in point was a tall hockey guy about 203cm was shocked i manhandled him in spite of being only 171cm, and this is from pure power more than skill, and another, an American football player lost to technique because all I needed was to strike his throat while he was blocking the feint strike.

• Like 1

What you achieve is 北方河車. The next step is 烏肝, an inner light. Your golden light is it. And the next step is 兔髓. It is an inner light, too. But 兔髓 is different from 烏肝.

烏肝 move, but 兔髓 doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update. Still alive. Past two years have been exciting, as many people's lives have been. Not possible to go to China for the next while. Quite happy where I am. My meditation practice in the system I'm in has pretty much gone as far as it can, anything else would be just for fun. I have also been looking into shamanism and some inner works synergistic with it.

It's kinda funny seeing the post I made two years ago. Nonetheless, the generosity of everyone here, with your advice and suggestions, the humor and stories shared, offers of energy, etc. is much appreciated. 

As for Taoism. Still waiting for a chance encounter or something, but in the meantime going to look into material that's available publicly. Probably going to set up an altar of Taishang Laojun and get it activated. We'll see. 

On 3/11/2020 at 7:10 AM, statusquovadis said:

The question is, what does one do from here?

depends on where do you want to get to

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

depends on where do you want to get to

Nowhere to go, nothing to do..

Curiosity still there though, sometimes. I don't know if that will be enough to get anything serious going.

1 hour ago, statusquovadis said:

I don't know if that will be enough to get anything serious going.

No

• Like 1

2 hours ago, statusquovadis said:

Just a quick update. Still alive. Past two years have been exciting, as many people's lives have been. Not possible to go to China for the next while. Quite happy where I am. My meditation practice in the system I'm in has pretty much gone as far as it can, anything else would be just for fun. I have also been looking into shamanism and some inner works synergistic with it.

It's kinda funny seeing the post I made two years ago. Nonetheless, the generosity of everyone here, with your advice and suggestions, the humor and stories shared, offers of energy, etc. is much appreciated. 

As for Taoism. Still waiting for a chance encounter or something, but in the meantime going to look into material that's available publicly. Probably going to set up an altar of Taishang Laojun and get it activated. We'll see. 

Southeast Asia would be a more fruitful area to look for teachers when the time is right imo

• Like 2