Earl Grey

nCov19 Development and Prevention Discussion Only

poll/ 54% of Americans rate Trump’s coronavirus response as poor or not so good. By contrast, 72% of Americans give positive ratings to the governors of their states for the way they have dealt with the crisis. (Washington Post)

Here is an article from CNN indicating that the virus may have been around earlier than thought and apparently confused with the flu:

2 Californians died of coronavirus weeks before previously known 1st US death

My neighbor has been talking about this possibility for the past couple of weeks because she had the worst flu of her life in January, and talking about it to her doctor learned that there had been a whole outbreak of "flu" that was not prevented by this year's flu vaccine and her doctor thought the vaccine had been incorrect, but now it seems it may have been an early covid infection which would explain why the flu vaccine didn't work.

ZYD

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

Here is an article from CNN indicating that the virus may have been around earlier than thought and apparently confused with the flu:

My neighbor has been talking about this possibility for the past couple of weeks because she had the worst flu of her life in January, and talking about it to her doctor learned that there had been a whole outbreak of "flu" that was not prevented by this year's flu vaccine and her doctor thought the vaccine had been incorrect, but now it seems it may have been an early covid infection which would explain why the flu vaccine didn't work.

ZYD

The flu vaccine is 50% effective.

8 minutes ago, ralis said:
14 minutes ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

ZYD

The flu vaccine is 50% effective.

Yes, I am familiar with the relative effectiveness of the flu vaccine due to the extreme mutability of the flu virus it is the least effective vaccine in general usage, but even when people who receive it do subsequently get the flu it is usually mild and not the worst "flu" of their lives.

ZYD

• Like 1

Goal posts keep getting moved. Lockdown extended to May 15... no surprise given some people went to boxing matches and cockfights or ignored social distancing. The problem is it’s the perfect justification for martial law and those words were used multiple times.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/258496-metro-manila-calabarzon-bulacan-to-remain-on-lockdown

• Like 1

the first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

So how does the vaccine work?

The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans.

How the coronavirus vaccine works: The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans. Scientists then added genes for the spike surface protein of the coronavirus. This should prompt the immune system to produce neutralising antibodies, which would recognise and prevent any future coronavirus infection. white space

The Oxford team has already developed a vaccine against Mers, another type of coronavirus, using the same approach - and that had promising results in clinical trials.

At a certain point, the propaganda machine will drown out due to discontent as seen here in social media manipulation patient zero the Philippines is discovering: https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in-depth/258827-coronavirus-response-online-outrage-drowns-duterte-propaganda-machine

A similar trend seems to be happening cautiously in China I see, but mostly from overseas dissidents sick and tired of the CCP. 

• Like 1

Historic aerial footage of Philadelphia on April 5, 2020, like it's never been seen before - during a quarantine shelter in place order during the COVID-19 outbreak. The absence of people and traffic give the city a surreal, eerie feeling. A big shout-out to the medical community on the front lines battling this pandemic. Thank you for your work! Stay safe everyone! Scenes include: Ben Franklin Bridge, Market Street, Logan Circle, Independence Hall, Free Library, Philadelphia City Hall, Ben Franklin Parkway and Philadelphia Museum of Art, Penn's Landing, Vine Street, North Broad Street, Christ Church, and more. Special thank you to @Jacob Christensen of JKCCine for his masterful editing of this video! Look him up for your videography needs.

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ralis said:

There is a certain  degree of exaggeration in the article. We won't see that much of a change regarding the financial system. We could be looking at the end of globalism though. The critical question is if and when the economy in the west rebounds or we will face a recession of unprecedented proportions. I personally don't believe that the Euro will see the end of 2021.

• Like 1

Police continue to violate rights and threaten even wealthy people on private property to make arrests without warrants among other things:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/259138-pnp-says-man-dasmarinas-village-makati-went-berserk-cursed-police

Martial Law: partying like it’s 1984 because people forgot about 1986.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/259164-human-rights-watch-asks-dilg-rein-in-out-of-control-cops

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2

The virus is showing people's ugly side--it's as though the virus is showing that the real disease is man's own inhumanity to itself. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/259188-police-file-complaint-dasmarinas-village-makati-resident-resisting-arrest-cursing-cops

Not to mention the sycophantic relationship between the Philippines and China now: 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/259210-military-chief-asked-chinese-envoy-help-coronavirus-medicine

Thankfully, Taiwan still has sense: 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/259257-reports-taiwan-rejects-deportation-ofw-critical-duterte

• Like 1

Germany here: 
- Infection rate below 1 which is good

And here it gets weird, at the beginning it was said we need the rate below 10 to lift lockdown, so that healthcare can manage it ... today we are at approx 0.75 and there are no talks about lockdown being lifted or partially lifted, at least some shops and the playground are to be opened again

7 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Not only on the WHO ... i would even extend it to Governments, that pose themselves as opposing China ...

Looking at Germany .. we are extremly dependent on China and politicians don´t even see a need to Change that

Most apparent it became with the actual crisis, as instead of founding local manufacturers to produce facemasks, they were in bulk bought from China, as some of these masks were recommendet by the WHO

additionally some conflict nearly started, because China gave the mask shipment our gvnmt paid for to the USA instead, and insted of recinding the paimend and getting the masks elsewhere our politicians waited paitently and crouched before the chinese to get the masks 4 Weeks later than promised.

And it is worse to the US, instead of founding local manufactureres China is pressed through political means, to ensure production ... that is not how you change an autoritan regime ... tat is how you strengthen it.

Edited by Phantalor

I have been reading this post, i will read it more later. It is very sad the police abuse happening in some countries. It is like we hare heading to a new dictatorship without liberty nor rights, like in 1984. That is why i have had anger issues these last days, i am working on this now

On 4/24/2020 at 11:51 AM, moment said:

the first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

So how does the vaccine work?

The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans.

How the coronavirus vaccine works: The vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus (known as an adenovirus) from chimpanzees that has been modified so it cannot grow in humans. Scientists then added genes for the spike surface protein of the coronavirus. This should prompt the immune system to produce neutralising antibodies, which would recognise and prevent any future coronavirus infection. white space

The Oxford team has already developed a vaccine against Mers, another type of coronavirus, using the same approach - and that had promising results in clinical trials.

@moment I've seen a bit more detailed schematic illustration somewhere that was instrumental for my understanding something absolutely crucial...  two or three weeks after I saw it I had this eureka moment...  but I don't remember where I saw it.  Do you happen to know what picture I'm talking about -- i.e. seen a more detailed one and maybe remember where?  Smaller format, more illustrating pictures...  and a very important explanation accompanying it, sort of on the go and in passing... very very important.   Would be very grateful if you (or anyone else) could help me find that.  They were talking about the Oxford vaccine.  But not the current news, some preliminary infomercial from a few weeks ago (two, three?..)    

16 hours ago, Toni said:

Well, you certainly cant kill a person by hooking it up a respirator, as i was required while in university to be hooked up to a respirator for practical lessons, i can assure you, as long as it is not a self made one, but a certified one, there should be no problem at all.

More of a problem is, that hooking up patients to the respirator is in some cases prooven to be of no help at all, as in the really heavy cases of infection the microcirculation of the lungs is affected,  so even if you are hooked up to a respirator you don´t get enough O2  and suffocate to death.

Edited by Phantalor
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Taomeow said:

@moment I've seen a bit more detailed schematic illustration somewhere that was instrumental for my understanding something absolutely crucial...  two or three weeks after I saw it I had this eureka moment...  but I don't remember where I saw it.  Do you happen to know what picture I'm talking about -- i.e. seen a more detailed one and maybe remember where?  Smaller format, more illustrating pictures...  and a very important explanation accompanying it, sort of on the go and in passing... very very important.   Would be very grateful if you (or anyone else) could help me find that.  They were talking about the Oxford vaccine.  But not the current news, some preliminary infomercial from a few weeks ago (two, three?..)    

Hi Taomeow :wub:

Could this be it? 

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/infographics/the-race-to-stop-covid-19/20207792.article?firstPass=false

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C T said:

Hi CT :wub:

Thank you, this is good to know, but no, not this.  It was specifically about an RNA and/or DNA vaccine.  I later watched how Bill Gates explains it on his blog, and it dawned on me that the mechanism of these is identical to how they genetically modify the RNA and DNA of crops and livestock to make them produce what they call the vaccine in their own bodies, or to enable them to absorb toxic pesticides without dying -- e.g. the "Roundup Ready" crops were created via this mechanism.  

The illustration I'm looking for was accompanied by the proudly scientific explanation that that's what they are doing for that vaccine -- modifying the genetic code of the human cells to make them produce the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, by sticking it in a 'harmless' monkey virus that will insert itself into the human cells and become a permanent part of the human genome. 

So we are to look forward to genetically modified humans, or to be specific human/simian virus/bat virus heterochimeras.  And a promise (repeated by Bill on several occasions) that 7 billion of us will be thus blessed (I wonder what the plan is for the remaining 600 million) as a prerequisite to returning to normal. 

I wonder about those roundup-ready monocrops though -- if they could speak, I would love to interview them to find out if they are enjoying their "return to normal" that never existed.  I mean, they themselves never existed in nature, there was never a "normal" they returned to when they came to be, they were a new thing with no prior history of living like that.  How exactly do they live?  Well, they can't reproduce, for one thing, they can only be replicated by the owner when they are needed by the owner.  They can't feed themselves -- no GM monocrop can, they rely on being fertilized by the owner.  And their only purpose in life is to get consumed.  But plants can't speak, so I can't really tell how happy or unhappy this modification has made them.  And even if it made them unhappy, they have no one to complain to, so who cares.    

• Sad 1