Earl Grey

nCov19 Development and Prevention Discussion Only

5 hours ago, Walker said:

The CCP is, fortunately, unique in its evils.

Just as the US is unique in its.

That is true for all countries my friend. No country is a paradise and no country a hell. At least not in a perpetual state. ;)

Every place has benefits and shortcomings.

• Like 2

2,633 cases in the Philippines now: https://www.rappler.com/nation/256766-coronavirus-cases-philippines-april-2-2020

Also, unique in the Philippines is that the Vice-President is elected separately from the President. Duterte has a contemptuous relationship, to put it mildly, with the VP. https://www.rappler.com/nation/256769-nbi-urged-probe-robredo-helping-frontliners-competing-government-coronavirus-response

Amusing, given that many people fear death from hunger over dying from coronavirus--more broken promises. https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/in-depth/256695-poor-filipinos-fear-death-from-hunger-more-than-coronavirus

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

given that many people fear death from hunger over dying from coronavirus

This is brutal truth.

Putin announced no material help, just a month free from work!

How nice for people to pay salary when there is no work / business allowed to run.

Something bad is bound to happen, either people die out of starvation or crime rises a lot.

1 minute ago, GSmaster said:

This is brutal truth.

Putin announced no material help, just a month free from work!

How nice for people to pay salary when there is no work / business allowed to run.

Something bad is bound to happen, either people die out of starvation or crime rises a lot.

And all this time, people thought I was wasting my time training in the internal arts and strength to perfect health, longevity, and martial technique. It is going to come in more useful now as fights are going to go beyond arguments over hoarding at the market. Getting way more dangerous everywhere now...

• Like 3

Just now, C T said:

Same here. 3,333 today. And, under more agreeable circumstances,  thats meant to be an auspicious number lol

Sorry, where is here in Europe for you now? Belgium, was it? 

2 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Sorry, where is here in Europe for you now? Belgium, was it? 

Malaysia

Just now, C T said:

Malaysia

Ah, I thought you were still back in Europe as you mentioned you were living there; didn't think you returned to Malaysia already. 

I have friends in Kuching and KL, so please take care of yourselves...over here, being ethnic Chinese isn't helping me either as they don't distinguish between Chinese heritage and Chinese mainlanders here....

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Ah, I thought you were still back in Europe as you mentioned you were living there; didn't think you returned to Malaysia already. 

I have friends in Kuching and KL, so please take care of yourselves...over here, being ethnic Chinese isn't helping me either as they don't distinguish between Chinese heritage and Chinese mainlanders here....

You take care too, bro. 

I have met many Filipinos in my time.... all good people. A natural flair for singing! 

_/\_

Just now, C T said:

You take care too, bro. 

I have met many Filipinos in my time.... all good people. A natural flair for singing! 

_/\_

Makasih, teman-saya. 

• Thanks 1

A recent study has found that Hydrochloroquine, Chloroquine and Azithromycin are not effective treatments for COVID-19. Trump has given many false hope by repeating that he really feels really good about these drugs being a "game changer." :angry:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/a-small-trial-finds-that-hydroxychloroquine-is-not-effective-for-treating-coronavirus/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0399077X20300858?via%3Dihub

I am a medicinal chemist who has specialized in discovery and development of antiviral drugs for the past 30 years, and I have been actively working on coronaviruses for the past seven. I am among a number of researchers who are concerned that this drug has been given too much of a high priority before there is enough evidence to show it is indeed effective.

There are already other clinical studies that showed it is not effective against COVID-19 as well as several other viruses. And, more importantly, it can have dangerous side effects, as well as giving people false hope. The latter has led to widespread shortages of hydroxychloroquine for patients who need it to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, the indications for which it was originally approved.

• Like 3

A Polish scientist could be on the verge of a major breakthrough in the fight against coronavirus.

Professor Marcin Drąg from the Wrocław University of Science and Technology and his team have cracked an enzyme which they say may be key to finding a cure.

"This is the most important protein - among the many identified - that the companies looking for a super-fast diagnostic test are talking about", says Professor Marcin Drąg from the Wrocław University of Science and Technology, winner of the 2019 FNP Prize in the field of chemical and materials sciences.

Professor Drąg told PAP: “If you compare the enzyme to a lock, we've got the key that opens it.”

The enzyme that the team studied, SARS-CoV-2 protease, cuts the proteins present in this virus.

According to Drąg: “This allows it to survive. Inhibiting the action of this enzyme immediately causes this virus to die.”

He added: “If we developed a drug that would inhibit the activity of this enzyme, we would practically kill the coronavirus. This is known from the previous epidemic of coronavirus – SARS.”

The enzyme was known about previously, but there were millions of possible combinations of 'keys' to it. The team from Wrocław say they have now “found the one key that matches this enzyme.”

The breakthrough came after scientists at Lübeck University in Germany sent the enzyme to the Wrocław team in February.

They found that there are virtually no such enzymes in humans, meaning that if drugs that target the enzyme are developed, they will harm the virus, but not the human.

The publication with Professor Marcin Drąg's team's research results is still under review, but the researchers have already made their results available to scientists around the world for free. 'We have not patented this. The publication preprint is available online. This is a gift from my laboratory to anyone interested', the scientist notes. He adds that a few days after publication there is no shortage of interested parties. Teams from various parts of the world come forward with questions and cooperation proposals.

Professor Drąb said: “What we have now published is some of the most important information you can have about this enzyme. It is its full substrate preference.”

He added that the research shows which amino acids the enzyme can bind to in key positions. 'We can say whether they are large, small, hydrophobic or basic amino acids. We can also create a map of the most important place of this enzyme and even match to drugs that are already on the market,” he said.

Chemists and companies can now use the results to create new bioactive compounds for the SARS-CoV2 virus, and develop diagnostic tests that would allow to determine whether someone has coronavirus faster.

'We are currently targeting other proteins from this virus, not just proteases. The pace of work is amazing', says Professor Marcin Drąg.

Part of the success behind the quick research results was a new technology platform developed by Professor Drąg enabling the production of biologically active compounds, in particular inhibitors of proteolytic enzymes.

His Hybrid Combinatorial Substrate Library (HyCoSuL) which enables scientists to design and obtain highly active and selective chemical tools, uses a wide range of amino acids (which are not found in nature) to monitor the activity of proteolytic enzymes. 

It can be used to develop new therapies, medicines and diagnostic methods. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, moment said:

What are the benefits of living under the CCP?

They can cure the coronavirus in less than two months.

Edited by ReturnDragon
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, ralis said:

A recent study has found that Hydrochloroquine, Chloroquine and Azithromycin are not effective treatments for COVID-19. Trump has given many false hope by repeating that he really feels really good about these drugs being a "game changer." :angry:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/a-small-trial-finds-that-hydroxychloroquine-is-not-effective-for-treating-coronavirus/

This Hydrochloroquine wonder drug that Trump is harping on about is believed to be supplied to the Fed Govt by Rising Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of the bankrupted Aceto Corp. Ordinarily, this won't be so interesting, but with Trump plugging a drug linked to a bankrupted company, that is revealing in itself. 

Was denied access when I wanted to find out who were sitting on Aceto's board of directors. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, moment said:

What are the benefits of living under the CCP?

In some ways, the CCP is similar to Nature. Work in accordance with its principles, and one can attain all of what one desires. Exert your will upon it, and sooner or later, one comes to a dead end.

No govt hands out free lunches, and the CCP is no exception. 

At least they make clear and are more overt with the rules of engagement, and except for Tibet, have always been quick to render solutions to those who reach out for aid, without any threats nor arrogance in the negotiation processes, unlike the US. 

Edited by C T

28 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

They can cure the coronavirus in less than two months.

I think the Polish will win that race. So far, very little of what the CCP has said can be believed

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, C T said:

In some ways, the CCP is similar to Nature. Work in accordance with its principles, and one can attain all of what one desires. Exert your will upon it, and sooner or later, one comes to a dead end.

No govt hands out free lunches, and the CCP is no exception. 

At least they make clear and are more overt with the rules of engagement, and except for Tibet, have always been quick to render solutions to those who reach out for aid, without any threats nor arrogance in the negotiation processes, unlike the US. 

Do you currently live in China?

49 minutes ago, ralis said:

There were studies in France and China that suggested some effectiveness.  This likely spurred the rest of the world, and even NY City to test it.   Let them test and see what comes of it.  Even if it is only relatively effective for a certain group or type, it is worth understanding.   

23 minutes ago, C T said:

This Hydrochloroquine wonder drug that Trump is harping on about is believed to be supplied to the Fed Govt by Rising Pharmaceuticals, a subsidiary of the bankrupted Aceto Corp. Ordinarily, this won't be so interesting, but with Trump plugging a drug linked to a bankrupted company, that is revealing in itself. 

Was denied access when I wanted to find out who were sitting on Aceto's board of directors. 

http://investor.aceto.com/corporate-governance/board-of-directors

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moment said:

Do you currently live in China?

:) nope, but regionally, we're practically neighbours. Thus I'm quite familiar with the goings-on around these parts. 

And I'm not a sympathizer of the CCP by any means - I find their human rights policies unsavoury, plus I think the way they invaded Tibet was despicable, but at least they were upfront about it, and made no attempt to sugarcoat the invasion, like what the other superpower in the West habitually does, and none too successfully, I might add. So, the definition of oppression have subtle nuances, and one must take all angles into consideration when attempting comparisons. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, dawei said:

There were studies in France and China that suggested some effectiveness.  This likely spurred the rest of the world, and even NY City to test it.   Let them test and see what comes of it.  Even if it is only relatively effective for a certain group or type, it is worth understanding.   

http://investor.aceto.com/corporate-governance/board-of-directors

You apparently didn’t read the links in the quote. Or, taken into consideration the lack of effectiveness and dangers of the drugs Trump is hot on! In your world view just give this stuff out in vast quantities and see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, ralis said:

You apparently didn’t read the links in the quote. Or, taken into consideration the lack of effectiveness and dangers of the drugs Trump is hot on! In your world view just give this stuff out in vast quantities and see what happens. 

Whether I read those articles is irrelevant to the fact that China and France shared results regarding it too.   So did you read their results?   Likely not, and that is ok.    It just means there are differing outcomes so far... so there needs to be more testing.

That is my my world view:  countries (including the US) are testing them.   I have no problem in letting scientist/researchers decide what to test.   

4 minutes ago, dawei said:

Whether I read those articles is irrelevant to the fact that China and France shared results regarding it too.   So did you read their results?   Likely not, and that is ok.    It just means there are differing outcomes so far... so there needs to be more testing.

That is my my world view:  countries (including the US) are testing them.   I have no problem in letting scientist/researchers decide what to test.   

Why not post the links? Otherwise you are engaging in hearsay. 

• Like 1

Empty headed religious nut jobs are a real danger to all! 

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/arkansas-church-vows-to-continue-services-jesus-died-with-covid-19-so-that-you-didnt-have-to-bear-it/

The first death of Covid 19 actually happened 2000 years ago,” the post continues. “The Bible tells us that Jesus took on every sin, sickness and every disease…Jesus bore it so you wouldn’t have to. Salvation provided forgiveness and healing…if you’ll believe it, you can receive it!”

The church insisted in a previous post that it would follow safe practices recommended by the Centers of Disease Control, saying that canceling services would violate their religious beliefs.

“For us to not have services due to a virus would be for us to go against our extremely strong convictions of the power of God to protect and the power of God to heal,” the post reads. “Jesus knew the world He was sending us into contained sickness and disease. Instead of telling us to retreat from sickness, He told us to go into the world and to heal the sick.”

• Haha 1