Earl Grey

nCov19 Development and Prevention Discussion Only

10 minutes ago, virtue said:

CDC says coronavirus RNA found in Princess Cruise ship cabins up to 17 days after passengers left

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html

I feel that even the strictest hygiene standards may only help slowing the epidemic wave. This type of virulence isn't something we can evade perpetually.

True!  The goal as I see it in the short term, is to flatten the curve, so as to have enough hospital beds available to all.

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, virtue said:

CDC says coronavirus RNA found in Princess Cruise ship cabins up to 17 days after passengers left

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-coronavirus-survived-in-princess-cruise-cabins-up-to-17-days-after-passengers-left.html

I feel that even the strictest hygiene standards may only help slowing the epidemic wave. This type of virulence isn't something we can evade perpetually.

True that, but I've heard people point out that trace amounts and amounts that are actually 'catchy' may be different. 

As I walk people are circling me by 10 feet, that seems a bit much.  But in the end, I worry that you're right, most of us won't be able to evade it perpetually.   Hopefully we'll have beds, respirators and better medical treatments when the bulk of elderly get hit.  Hope is cheap, so is soap & water. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rideforever said:

BBC have just announced they are suspending 450 jobs that were due to be cut.

Seems their covid fearmongering is getting a lot of attention, and protecting their own backside.

I don't trust anything I hear about this crap anymore.

It's nothing more than a severe flu and not that severe tbh.

More bullshit and lies from the chest of mankind's stupidity.

Ego-wise it seems that Doctors/Nurses enter the service so that they can "help people", and the louder the violin is playing the more reinforced their ego feels.

That's why they are always moaning about their pay and their conditions.

A couple of years ago I met a mature student about 40 who was beginning medical training in the UK, and he said they had special classes to learn how to "care" for patients.  I asked why.  He said it was because people enter the profession for the money and stability and not for any hippocratic oath.  So they have to make sure they act like they "care".  Crazy insincere world.

You should hope any nurse or doctor that might be helping you to breath in the future  does not read this  and know that you wrote it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

They're basically calling for a cull of the elderly. They don't use those exact words but that is plainly what it is. A mass human sacrifice to the golden bull of Wall Street. It's like Logan's Run but without any of the cool gadgets or sex parties.

What !  ?      'They' are constantly preoccupied with cool gadgets and sex parties ! 

5 hours ago, rideforever said:

Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes, a government advisor has said.

Professor Neil Ferguson, who is recovering at home from Covid-19, told the Science and Technology Committee that experts were now expecting around 20,000 deaths, although said it may turn out to be a lot less.

But he said that many of those deaths were likely to be old and seriously ill people who would have died from other conditions before the end of the year.

(Telegraph)

i.e. this is all a lot of fear masturbation by the news and medical moaning industry

Yes, that must be right  as I remember every year past when Italy had convoys of army trucks going down the street to remove the dead bodies to store them in an ice rink .

One thing that makes me look down on people is when they try to cover up their own  deep stinking fear from surfacing by pretending  things are a big fuss about nothing   and everything is actually okay .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moment said:

True!  The goal as I see it in the short term, is to flatten the curve, so as to have enough hospital beds available to all.

Thats the plan here .   'Flatten the curve' .    The problem here though is that even before this started we never had enough hospital beds available to those that needed them in the first place !  So now all those people that couldnt get a bed and where on a waiting list have been kicked off in preparation .

5 hours ago, rideforever said:

Up to two thirds of people who die from coronavirus in the next nine months are likely to have died this year from other causes, a government advisor has said.

Glad not to be rideforever´s grandpa.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Nungali said:

On news last night ;   it is going to be trialled on our health care workers !

Bayer Pharma is donating 70,000 doses of this stuff to New York to see if it works as a treatment. Will see what happens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Thats the plan here .   'Flatten the curve' .    The problem here though is that even before this started we never had enough hospital beds available to those that needed them in the first place !  So now all those people that couldnt get a bed and where on a waiting list have been kicked off in preparation .

I am very sorry to hear that!  How are you protecting yourself?  Take care.

If this drug works a lot of lives could be saved. What the US has done to Cuba is criminal and should stop immediately!

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/cuban-wonder-drug-being-used-worldwide-official/

Despite hefty US sanctions inflicted on it for more than half a century, Cuba has mobilized its medical corps around the world to distribute a new “wonder drug” that officials there say is capable of treating the new coronavirus, Newsweek reported.

The drug, called Interferon Alpha-2B Recombinant (IFNrec), is jointly developed by scientists from Cuba and China, the report said.

Already active in China since January, the Cuban Medical Brigades began deploying to dozens of nations, providing personnel and products such as its new anti-viral drug to battle the disease that has exceeded 400,000 confirmed cases across the globe, the report said.

Cuba first used advanced interferon techniques to treat dengue fever in the 1980s and later found success in using it to combat HIV, human papillomavirus, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and other diseases, the report said.

The use of Interferon Alpha-2B Recombinant “prevents aggravation and complications in patients reaching that stage that ultimately can result in death,” Cuban biotech expert Luis Herrera Martinez said, according to a recent Yale University Press Blog feature written by the University of Glasgow’s Helen Yaffe.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Glad not to be rideforever´s grandpa.

Was that a Trump government advisor?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ralis said:

If this drug works a lot of lives could be saved. What the US has done to Cuba is criminal and should stop immediately!

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/cuban-wonder-drug-being-used-worldwide-official/

Cuba has been well known for their excellent medical, for a long time now. The only people that don't recognise that, is the U.S. govenment.

• Like 2

New York state has 10 times the COVID-19 cases California has. Why? New York is testing far more people — three times as many as California — and as a result identifying more cases. (San Francisco Chronicle)

About 3,200 NYPD officers have called out sick as 177 uniformed officers and another 34 civilian NYPD employees tested positive for the coronavirus. (Politico)

Glad to see my state government setting restrictions, stay at home, curbside stay in your car delivery for food and so on. All cases of the virus in our state is because of travel from other countries and neighboring states.

The feds are the ones to restrict travel nationwide and inbound flights as well as isolate hot spots with no travel. Too little being done to restrict travel. 

State governors need to act before federal government at this time to protect the people of the sates they represent IMO

• Like 1

:lol:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/03/sex-during-coronavirus-is-it-dangerous-to-hook-up.html

How to Do It is Slate’s sex advice column. Have a question? Send it to Stoya and Rich here. It’s anonymous!

This week, the bonus chat question comes early.

Dear How to Do It,

For lack of a better way of putting it: Do I need to stop hoeing around because of the coronavirus? I recently got out of a relatively short but very intense and stressful relationship—it got serious very quickly, and ended just as quickly—and dating and having sex again without all the fuss has been a godsend. But as I’m about to go out with my third guy of the week, with the full intention of making out with him and probably more, I’m wondering if I’m part of the problem, in terms of spreading the virus and burdening our health care system’s capacity. It’s better than going to a party, I’d say, and it’s great stress management. What do you think?

The current news are in 2 days max, Italy and US will have more coronavirus cases than China and it is not even a peak yet.

Is this testing after the fact or testing in advance to decide lock down or limited travel. Red status do not leave your house, yellow limited travel by foot or green you can drive. USA is so far behind the times.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen

The location of 10 new field hospitals are being considered.

10s of thousands of ventilators are on track to be produced.

The lock down is allowing for the preparation for when the virus spreads.

Trump's lawyers send cease and desist letter threatening TV stations that if the anti Trump ad is not removed there will be consequences. The letter is full of lies as usual and threatens to revoke FCC licenses which Trump has control over. The Orange Virus is a dangerous psychopath!

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/3/25/1931337/-Trump-sends-cease-desist-letter-on-ad-featuring-one-giant-sound-bite-of-his-mad-coronavirus-musings

• Like 2