Starjumper

The perfect weapon

1 minute ago, Earl Grey said:

False comparison. 

Please see this link: 

A few key points quoted from the member who posted that in response to this article, https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/#comments:

Yeah. I realize you’re just jumping into the thread here and taking my comment at face value, but I’ve already posted a few links/videos/quotes by very reputable scientists/epidemiologists that severely call into question this narrative. Anyways I wasn’t refuting it’s more contagious than the flu, I was merely saying the flu IS deadly to people as well, and that the measures being taken now are a slippery slope.

so you’re taking it out of context.

14 minutes ago, bax44 said:

Yeah. I realize you’re just jumping into the thread here and taking my comment at face value, but I’ve already posted a few links/videos/quotes by very reputable scientists/epidemiologists that severely call into question this narrative. Anyways I wasn’t refuting it’s more contagious than the flu, I was merely saying the flu IS deadly to people as well, and that the measures being taken now are a slippery slope.

so you’re taking it out of context.

They can question it all they want, but the sudden and quick deaths that keep coming and the lack of a means to address it are still a concern.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

They can question it all they want, but the sudden and quick deaths that keep coming and the lack of a means to address it are still a concern.

Sudden and quick deaths happen everyday from all sorts of reasons, right now they are publicizing every apparent death from this thing and shouting it from rooftops , so it feels as if it’s overwhelming. Not to bring up regular flu again, but if every flu season they started telling everyone who was dying everyday, you could easily create a panic.

just for some much needed perspective, here’s numbers from a relatively bad flu season in 2017-18. Imagine if they were reporting this and what the outcome psychologically would be.

this is just USA flu from that year. It killed over half million worldwide.

CA5DE3E6-54B8-4A13-BB19-CC79BD06A781.jpeg

Edited by bax44

8 minutes ago, bax44 said:

Sudden and quick deaths happen everyday from all sorts of reasons, right now they are publicizing every apparent death from this thing and shouting it from rooftops , so it feels as if it’s overwhelming. Not to bring up regular flu again, but if every flu season they started telling everyone who was dying everyday, you could easily create a panic.

just for some much needed perspective, here’s numbers from a relatively bad flu season in 2017-18. Imagine if they were reporting this and what the outcome psychologically would be.

5D468528-D3D4-41B1-BEE8-F4F9CA6BC060.jpeg

This is still a false comparison, which is based on a faulty understanding. 

While there are increased sudden and quick deaths, the nature of these deaths and the preventability mechanisms like immunizations are not. We have flu shots--we do not have coronavirus shots. We have studied the flu and different strains. Coronavirus is totally new. 

Let us not forget that this is overwhelming the existing healthcare system, as staff and hospital beds, resources, and logistics are unable to deal with the rising number of cases, and as those cases continue to increase in numbers, people are unable to seek care for other issues that had existed prior. 

• Like 3

While I agree the number of deaths from the normal flu season is bad, if SARS-COV-2 infected as many people as the normal flu did, you would have a vastly bigger number of deaths.

If we look at what is happening in Italy and Spain at the moment, you do not require the Army to move dead bodies from hospitals every year for seasonal flu. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

This is still a false comparison, which is based on a faulty understanding. 

While there are increased sudden and quick deaths, the nature of these deaths and the preventability mechanisms like immunizations are not. We have flu shots--we do not have coronavirus shots. We have studied the flu and different strains. Coronavirus is totally new. 

Let us not forget that this is overwhelming the existing healthcare system, as staff and hospital beds, resources, and logistics are unable to deal with the rising number of cases, and as those cases continue to increase in numbers, people are unable to seek care for other issues that had existed prior. 

I agree that measures and precautions should be taken against new viruses. However again you’re jumping in the middle and arguing something which I wasn’t even trying to argue. And I keep seeing people state quite factually that it’s “overwhelming the hospitals etc”. I still see no proof of that here. Italy was a unique situation in a lot of ways. Way too many people talking about this thing like they know exactly what’s happening yet all they’re doing is regurgitating what’s being fed to them and shouting down anyone who is asking questions. 

Anyways, my questioning and arguments has been It was all about how far do we let these measures go? Seems like people are way too willing to just  go along with whatever they’re told with little foresight into what taking these actions will mean down the line. 

Edited by bax44

21 minutes ago, bax44 said:

I agree that measures and precautions should be taken against new viruses. However again you’re jumping in the middle and arguing something which I wasn’t even trying to argue. And I keep seeing people state quite factually that it’s “overwhelming the hospitals etc”. I still see no proof of that here. Italy was a unique situation in a lot of ways. Way too many people talking about this thing like they know exactly what’s happening yet all they’re doing is regurgitating what’s being fed to them and shouting down anyone who is asking questions. 

Whether I'm "jumping in the middle" or not, the post I saw was what compelled me to say something. 

Italy is not unique, as the Philippines right now is also quite exhausted, so it's not unique. I don't know where you live when you say "here" and if you are in North America, it can vary if you are in the Midwest or South rather than the coastal states and major cities. Personally, I have friends in different parts of the world, but they are also reporting that this is quite a serious issue.

I haven't shouted you down, but your questions appear to be cautiously cynical about the gravity of the situation. Please also keep in mind some people in this forum have family members or friends who have contracted coronavirus, so there could potentially be hostility from others here, not me. 

21 minutes ago, bax44 said:

Anyways, my questioning and arguments has been It was all about how far do we let these measures go? Seems like people are way too willing to just  go along with whatever they’re told with little foresight into what taking these actions will mean down the line. 

How old are you? I'm neither that young nor that old, but I have seen enough to know when it's serious, if my time working in global health says anything as a professional. As for the current crisis, yes: it's really that serious. I haven't seen anything this bad since I dealt with community and national health in East Africa. 

17 minutes ago, bax44 said:

I can't comment on this as strictly fake news, but I've also worked in media, and can say that on the one hand, there is fake news, but more commonly is a lazy intern or a grumpy technician who hasn't had their coffee or lunch break who loads the wrong footage into a clip. It's a lot more common than you think, which is precisely why I left that industry for a while!

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1

Also, do you guys really believe the virus has only been in the us(for example) when they started to do lockdowns etc? The probability of that is almost minuscule. More than likely it’s been here spreading since January.  The testing and results are very likely 2 months behind the spread of the disease. I’m sure people are smart enough to determine the implications of that. Odds are we probably already have millions upon millions infected.

Paying attention to thr daily death rates does nothing but increase stress . Looking at daily updates of "confirmed cases" and deaths is folly. It's like looking at charts of your investments from 2 months ago and acting like that is what is happening right now.

Something else I’m curious about is they keep saying people are testing positive for “Coronavirus “. Given that the testing thus far is notoriously inaccurate, I wish they’d specify it’s actually “Covid 19”. Coronavirus is also the common cold. The accuracy of the numbers has to be hard to really ascertain.

Edited by bax44
  • Like 1

Some quarters are looking into the possibility of a cover up, saying that the sudden and abnormal spike in vaping-related illness & deaths that happened in the US back in Sept 2019 could be related to Covid 19. CDC was alerted as early as June last year. 

A second death from a severe lung disease potentially linked to vaping was reported in Oregon on September 4, less than two weeks after the report of a death in Illinois due to a similar condition. While these are extreme cases that need to be further studied, the deaths emerge amid 193 possible cases of a bewildering “vaping illness” that, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced, had been reported by 22 states between June 28 and August 20. These alarming reports add to growing evidence that e-cigarettes aren’t as “safe” or “clean” as their marketing often claims. But as with any vice, like sweets or alcohol, is it possible to vape safely, or in moderation? The short answer: It’s complicated.

(source: mic.com) 

WSJ: 

People Urged to Stop Vaping Following More Deaths, Hundreds of Illnesses

Number of mysterious lung injuries more than doubled from last week

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C T said:

Some quarters are looking into the possibility of a cover up, saying that the sudden and abnormal spike in vaping-related illness & deaths that happened in the US back in Sept 2019 could be related to Covid 19. CDC was alerted as early as June last year. 

(source: mic.com) 

WSJ: 

I remember thinking that whole thing was incredibly odd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bax44 said:

Italy was a unique situation

it is quite standard though, and the reason it happened they were few days late on massive quarantine, it has gotten out of control

They are sitting like 3? weeks now at homes, with 2000euro fines if you go outside, and still there are almost a 1000 dead bodies to cremate on a daily basis.

6 hours ago, C T said:

There are a few reports that say the virus started in the US last year.  I think i posted one or two on this thread.

Imagine if people in different areas were getting the virus mailed to them last year.  Who ever heard of such a thing, I mean other than the Anthrax mailer and the Unibomber, and others.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

4500 deaths today, up from 3200 few days ago that got someone frightened @bax44

moms calling u for dinner. time to leave the basementWill Ferrell Mom The Meatloaf GIF

Edited by bax44
  • Like 1

Here is some potential good news ...

Or it could be an April Fool's joke, because the happenings in Italy and the overburdened crematoriums in China seem to tell a different story.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

What a fantastic image!

The goats in the street remind me of the wolves and wildlife roaming Chernobyl.  Couple years back a team went in to test soil and see how things progress.  They were quite surprised.  Fungus samples in the soil were surprising.

Wolves and other wildlife were found to be veritably flourishing in the post irradiated city, Wolves rate of mutation had doubled to .003 while the populations of all wildlife were vibrant in the absence of human presence and activities.  Seems (on the surface), human presence is harsher for wildlife than radiation. :D   who'da thunk it? 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Interesting to me (wether the video is real or not) that 5g is considered "essential" right now. Talked to a friend whos an executive in spectrum cable and theyre rolling out 5g and their workers are out doing stuff. Hearing 5g ads everywhere.