On 2/23/2020 at 5:25 PM, alchemystical said:

If you had to blame anything for whats wrong with everything why then you'd be pointing at the stage yelling "Its behind you!" to the befuddled actor, draped in robes reciting lines in this masquerade of life as he stumbled around, seemingly unaware of the egos nefarious presence and influence. Its such a strange thing. Everywhere and nowhere.

Seeing as one of the great signposts on the path is the meeting, acceptance and dissolution of the ego I'd be interested in hearing from any of you have have wandered along this far or beyond as well as any general tales, insight, wisdom, techniques and whatever else may relate to the topic because I feel this could be a very fruitful discussion.

Why do we have an ego in the first place? What is its purpose? Will this be on the test?

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1

Here's a couple of my ancient musings on its dissolution...

and..

"Once the phantom menace that is ego is exposed, the illusion of its annihilation is also. The tragic "death" of our on-stage character is a cosmic joke's punchline, the ultimate plot twist whereby ego is known to have only been oneself in disguise."

• Like 1

Pop quiz ? 

What is  an ego ?

a )     450px-Electric_motorcycles_stand_at_the_TT-Hall_motor_show,_Assen_(2018)_01.jpg

b )  330px-Lambda_sond_till_volvo240_etc.jpg

c )  450px-Ideogram_human_chromosome_3.svg.pn

d)   075453F000024W000001.jpg

e)   One of the three constructs in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche

f)   maxresdefault1.jpg?fit=1280,720&ssl=1

g)  All of the above .

Spoiler

g ) 

a ) 'Ego' electric motorbike. b )  ego - a type of oxygen sensor ) .  c )  Ego gene . d )  Ego zebra fish from Arabian Sea.  e) Yep, there are  7.7 Billion of them out there - you aint so special !   f)  )  Ego Lemos - East Timorese musician and  activist .

Spoiler

Of course, we all think ego refers to ' OUR   ego '    .  :) 

Edited by Nungali

The human brain has apparently been shrinking for 20,000 years, maybe 10-15%. 

I wonder if that is the reason now that we have this problematic mind.

Existence seems to feel that make us all think for ourselves didn't work, so why don't we try connecting all of them into one giant hive mind and see if that works better ... but we are left with the vestiges of something that thinks for itself - now we are trying to get rid of it in all sorts of way.

I don't blame existence ... and I think it's find if you simply co-operate with the dumbing down. 

I don't know how many people are willing to push the other way.

Something else I was thinking about recently is about species that co-operate or do not co-operate with evolutions.

If nature gives your species wings ... or a "mind" ... there is no particular guarantee that the species is going to start using them, the species might simply reject it for whatever reason.  It's a bad time to have something new.  We are really busy, come back with the wing things in 100,000 years.  Or just ... we can't be bothered we are happy as we are, even if we always argue.

Anyway .. the species does have to co-operate with evolutions or they will die out.  And new features may get started, and then die out later on .. due to "difficult conditions".

I suppose I was thinking what are our responsibilities with our higher faculties.  Learning to use this thing in the head is a brave approach.  Another approach is cut it off.

What does the mind give our species ?
Well we know it makes us intelligent in the head, not like animals, but a higher kind of intelligence.  And if we are to co-operate with nature to help this mind take root and find a home, we will have to use it.

- Isn't science doing that ?
Unless you do it ... you have to do it.  Nobody can make your head intelligent unless you exercise it.

Reading the results of other people's work does not count you may as well watch a movie.

You have to think, reason, solve things.

That's how the mind becomes intelligent.

The more that data is shared on the internet and people don't solve problems themselves ... the more the mind is unused and instead the eyes are used to read wikipedia.

Edited by rideforever
  • Haha 1

ego can be quite the clever king rat working in the shadows,  and such an ego does not like voluntarily looking into mirrors, thus someone else can normally point out such ego to ourselves much better than us spinning up a story about it.....btw, a mirror is one thing and can be looked away from but in the full bright light of day there are no shadows to hide in or places to look away from...and that is what a true guru does and why they are needed at times.

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

Nungali, how does the dweller of the threshold compare to the ego? 

Are they both the same thing or quite different/incomparable?

Mostly different .

Different in that    the 'dweller' or guardian  of a particular path process or thing   is seen as an external  force and can mean a whole lot of different things depending on the tradition.   And that ego is seen as an internal force  that an mean a whole lot of different things depending on the tradition.

Both  have accreted modern pop concepts , the first , like many things , we blame the Theosophists . The second, Freud .  Although the Theosophists  use the concept of 'ego'  in their system  ;

000008.jpg

10 hours ago, rideforever said:

The human brain has apparently been shrinking for 20,000 years, maybe 10-15%. 

So  ?  

hqdefault.jpg

I wonder if that is the reason now that we have this problematic mind.

When wasn't it problematic ?

Existence seems to feel that make us all think for ourselves didn't work,

Ummm ... wot  ?   :huh:

so why don't we try connecting all of them into one giant hive mind and see if that works better ... but we are left with the vestiges of something that thinks for itself - now we are trying to get rid of it in all sorts of way.

I don't blame existence ... and I think it's find if you simply co-operate with the dumbing down. 

I see you have made that decision already  

I don't know how many people are willing to push the other way.

Something else I was thinking about recently is about species that co-operate or do not co-operate with evolutions.

Are you saying 'species' have  a choice in cooperating with  'evolutions'  ?

If nature gives your species wings ... or a "mind" ... there is no particular guarantee that the species is going to start using them,

Oooo ... ummm ,  maybe read up a bit on how evolution works .  

the species might simply reject it for whatever reason.  It's a bad time to have something new.  We are really busy, come back with the wing things in 100,000 years. 

:D

Or just ... we can't be bothered we are happy as we are, even if we always argue.

Anyway .. the species does have to co-operate with evolutions or they will die out.  And new features may get started, and then die out later on .. due to "difficult conditions".

I suppose I was thinking what are our responsibilities with our higher faculties.  Learning to use this thing in the head is a brave approach.  Another approach is cut it off.

Cut off the head ?  

:huh:

What does the mind give our species ?

LOTS of stuff .  Maybe you mean what does the human mind give humans that no other animals have  ?

Well we know it makes us intelligent in the head, not like animals, but a higher kind of intelligence.  And if we are to co-operate with nature to help this mind take root and find a home, we will have to use it.

- Isn't science doing that ?
Unless you do it ... you have to do it.  Nobody can make your head intelligent unless you exercise it.

Reading the results of other people's work does not count you may as well watch a movie.

You have to think, reason, solve things.

That's how the mind becomes intelligent.

I will agree with this bit  ^ .

The more that data is shared on the internet and people don't solve problems themselves ... the more the mind is unused and instead the eyes are used to read wikipedia.

Yup , agree with that too . That is why talking up new activities , especially in old age , and ones that rely on  forging new neural pathways related to hand eye co-ordination are good for the brain .

On 2/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, ilumairen said:

The ego (to me) is generally the lens through which (the  generalized) we look at and interact with the world around us.

On 2/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, idiot_stimpy said:

If man is the microcosm,

and the universe is the macrocosm,

the ego is the imperfect creator of the microcosm,

the demiurge the imperfect creator of the macrocosm.

Ego and the environment?

EGO &/vs ECO?

eco-ego.jpg?fit=1200,1200

20 hours ago, Nungali said:

All of the above .

Long long ago ~ I was full of ego.

My favorite dance...

The 'talent'  over there is  ....      'astounding '

Man ... you gonna shake  ?  Well shake it then ! ;

WAIT!    What's that guy doing  @   0:39   !  ?   :o