ReturnDragon

Tai Chi practitioners should know about mitochondria.

19 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

Please read the actual paper you sent. It is about the role of aging on mitochondrial biogenesis and reactive oxygen species. This says nothing about abdominal breathing, nor does it suggest that the mechanism by which meditation increases "energy" (which is an ill-defined term, to be fair in this investigation thus far) is through increased oxygen. In fact, in some forms of meditation, e.g. anapana, you gradually decrease your inspiration and the breath actually stops (breath cessation), which I would imagine leads to increased levels of carbon dioxide and not necessarily just increased oxygen as seen in hyperventilation or deep abdominal breathing. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

Good question. Thanks! :wub:

This is where we begin. Mitochondria decompose the glucose from the food by oxygen we breathe to produce ATP(energy) . Our body is an oxygen dependant. Normal people do not breathe as much oxygen as Qigong or Taiji practitioners do. The practitioners increase the number of mitochondria in their bodies. That means they can produce more energy.

Hi CD, 

I find that normal people breath a lot more than good taiji or qigong people.

Have you heard of the term “turtle breathing”? There is direct correlation with frequency of the breath and both longevity as well as the state of mind (which ends up being a feedback loop into the system). 

A seasoned practitioner will only breath 5-6 breaths in a minute. Some go even lower. If you are standing in ZZ and hyperventilating, you are going to increase your BP, raise your Qi to your chest and head and essentially sooner or later blow a fuse (go nuts or have other psycho-physiological problems). 

Maybe you’re not being able to get your thoughts across properly. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dwai said:

Hi CD, 

I find that normal people breath a lot more than good taiji or qigong people.

Have you heard of the term “turtle breathing”? There is direct correlation with frequency of the breath and both longevity as well as the state of mind (which ends up being a feedback loop into the system). 

Hi dwai
Hypothetically, you are telling me that normal people are breathing properly; and the good taiji or qigong people are not. Then, the good taiji or qigong people are not good.

Yes, I have heard of the term “turtle breathing”. Turtle can take one breath and stay under water for 8 full minutes before taken another one.

Edited by ReturnDragon

5 hours ago, anshino23 said:

Please read the actual paper you sent. It is about the role of aging on mitochondrial biogenesis and reactive oxygen species. This says nothing about abdominal breathing, nor does it suggest that the mechanism by which meditation increases "energy" (which is an ill-defined term, to be fair in this investigation thus far) is through increased oxygen.

Sorry, I was mean to answer Steve about abdominal breathing. But computer was acting up. So, I used my smartphone which is not very smart for me to handle this kind of input.

Anyway, you are right. This is exactly what I want to point out. Did you know mitochondria use oxygen to produce energy? When we talking about energy, we cannot exclude mitochondria. In increase oxygen means increase the ability for the mitochondria to produce energy. We cannot just mention energy without thinking about mitochondria.

Yes, I grant you! Meditation do not increase energy. However, it will, if one does in combination with a good breathing method.

Here is the proper way of Tai Chi breathing and good for cell respiration which taking place hidden inside the body.
https://www.energyarts.com/qigong-breathing/

Edited by ReturnDragon

1 hour ago, ReturnDragon said:

Did you know mitochondria use oxygen to produce energy? When we talking about energy, we cannot exclude mitochondria. In increase oxygen means increase the ability for the mitochondria to produce energy. We cannot just mention energy without thinking about mitochondria.

Hi RD,

Good/bad for us that you are not this... as you are still breathing...?

tnwDT7.gif

Did you know plants use carbon dioxide to produce energy... as in food? 

photosynthesis.gif

Mother Nature is abound with energy.

Which is a better source of energy ~ mitochondria or Mother Nature?

On 2/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, Walker said:

Word to the wise: 

ReturnDragon aka "ChiDragon" was very active on this site until 2014.

He disappeared in disgrace (I don't know if he was banned or simply had enough good sense to disappear) due to the following...

Fallacies are not worth to be mentioned.

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

Hi dwai
Hypothetically, you are telling me that normal people are breathing properly; and the good taiji or qigong people are not. Then, the good taiji or qigong people are not good.

There’s nothing hypothetical about it. Good taiji and qigong people don’t breath as much. Nor do they need to. Good yogis too are like that. 

when I was doing a specific type of yoga practice, the pranayama was like this — inhale for 45 seconds, hold for 90 seconds and exhale for 180 seconds. Some would do it faster — inhale for 30, hold sixty and exhale 120. More beginners would inhale 15, hold 30, exhale 60. 

:) 

When we do set of 9 cycles of ZZ, we breath in and out 3-4 times (even 1-2 times) in a minute - in this case equal length. This needs to happen without straining. Most can’t do it because of the tension they hold in their body. 

Yes, I have heard of the term “turtle breathing”. Turtle can take one breath and stay under water for 8 full minutes before taken another one.

There you go. Does that mean more/faster breathing or slower and more relaxed breathing? 

10 minutes ago, dwai said:

Does that mean more/faster breathing or slower and more relaxed breathing?

Hi dwai,

Why are you wasting your breathes?

- Anand

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi dwai,

Why are you wasting your breathes?

- Anand

:D Just in mood to entertain my friends here at TDB 

47 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Maybe everyone here should take a breath...

Ya ~ for some... the last one... RIP.

tnwDT7.gif

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1