ReturnDragon

Tai Chi practitioners should know about mitochondria.

28 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Would you kindly give me a little elaboration of your experiential perspective?

Hi RD,

Yes... feelings more than words.

- Anand

5 minutes ago, steve said:

Only two?

Please define those two and demonstrate that all other ways to describe internal human function are incorrect.

Hello Steve,
WOW You are throwing me too many things all at once. Would you please change your questioning style in the near future? Thanks!
FYI I only respond to the subject matter within the scope of the OP.

Yes, only two ways.
In the TDB forum, we are only dealing TCM vs modern science. However. I think it is too soon to go into the climax of the discussion. I would like hear more from others and handle it one by one. Hopeful, at the end of the discussion in the thread, everything will be cleared up.

Thank you!

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Normal people do not breathe as much oxygen as Qigong or Taiji practitioners do.

This is no longer a physiological truth, it has been falsified. Unless you have a pulmonary disease, the amount of blood oxygen is not the defining factor. Regulatory system function on the other hand. 

As in:

Regulate the body. 

Regulate the breath. 

Regulate the mind. 

The basics of internal arts. 

The practitioners increase the number of mitochondria in their bodies.

Reference? 

That means they can produce more energy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

Hello, TDB
 It has been quite awhile we talk about Chi with the ancient Chinese concepts. I was wondering is anyone would like to relate these concepts to modern science. IMO There must be a co-relationship between them. To me, the first thing comes into my mind when speaking about energy is mitochondria. Please read this article and see what you think? Do you think Qigong, ZZ or Tai Chi practice has anything to do with the mitochondria in our body cells?

Ref: https://coachcalorie.com/increase-mitochondrial-density/

Tentatively, as I am no expert in TCM etc. I would say if by energy you mean qi - then the body does not create it but the other way round.  Qi projects or precipitates body - and bodily processes replicate qi processes (as in 'as above so below' - microcosm/macrocosm).  So the energy processes in the body reflect the nature of qi - but qi is non physical - its most condensed form (but still non physical being jing).

The mitochondria are are actually descended from micro-organisms which once independent entered into a symbiotic relationship with our cells - as the cells were good at DNA reproduction and mitochondria at the chemistry of 'food' i.e. those chemicals which store and release high energy bonds allowing life.  So every cell in our body has these two lineages - are double cells - which is very yin/yang I guess.

Sorry if garbled - but just some thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Apech said:

So every cell in our body has these two lineages - are double cells - which is very yin/yang I guess.

Hi Apech,

For me "yin/yang" are elemental and fundamental in Taoism.

- Anand

6 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

Hello Steve,
WOW You are throwing me too many things all at once. Would you please change your questioning style in the near future? Thanks!
FYI I only respond to the subject matter within the scope of the OP.

You can take your time and respond as you see fit. My style doesn’t change much.

Everything I’ve posted is within the scope of the OP.

Yes, only two ways.
In the TDB forum, we are only dealing TCM vs modern science.

Modern science has many branches that are relevant to the OP. 

However. I think it is too soon to go into the climax of the discussion.

I’m starting with your most basic assumptions. You can ignore those if you choose.

I would like hear more from others and handle it one by one. Hopeful, at the end of the discussion in the thread, everything will be cleared up.

🤞🏽

Thank you!

Edited by steve
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ReturnDragon said:

Hello Steve,
WOW You are throwing me too many things all at once.

PS - science can be a bitch!

😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, steve said:

PS - science can be a bitch!

😉

An ungreateful bitch,  remorseless and ever changeing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve said:

Science can be a bitch!

Hi steve,

Does it bite?

I tend to distance myself from...

anigif_sub-buzz-13630-1471884148-2.gif

- Anand

13 hours ago, ReturnDragon said:

Actually, we only have one system which is our body. However, we do have two ways to describe its internal function. Agree?

It's been addressed already by @steve with clarity and respect.

But I feel compelled to share on this (to me) very false notion of human bodies being one system.

How to seperate meaningfully (not arbritrarily) the clear dividing line between my body and the environment?

The avocados I just ate, are from a farm about 45 miles north of here.

The bacon was from a farm about 500 miles away.

The air I'm inhaling originated who knows when?  Tens of thousands of years ago?  Eons ago... and been in the lungs of millions of other humans, animals, insects and plants.

My body is an amalgam of the ten thousand things, all recycled and recycling with no clear dividing line.

Those avocados and the flesh of those pigs, is not turning me into pig and avocado.  They are transitioning into human, even though if you look in my body, you will not ever find a 'human element'.  My body is made of the same elemental parts as all the other aspects of reality.  It is only the arrangement of those parts that we identify as human.  The pattern is recognizable... as is the pattern of a whirlpool... But is a whirlpool a thing, when you consider the molecules flowing through it every second? 

Is it a system separate from the river? 

Any attempt to distinguish organism from environment is to me a practice in myopia... and utterly dependent on the level of magnification of the perceptual mind doing to perceiving.

We are all of us, flowing verbs.  Proven with each inhale/exhale.

My one body, is a collection of 5 trillion individual life forms, each with a tribal affiliation and its own life force, process and cycle.

ok rant over... phew... that came on suddenly... may just delete this soon, but as I said, compelled to get this out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ReturnDragon said:

Hopeful, at the end of the discussion in the thread, everything will be cleared up.

That is not likely. 

This is a spiritual forum, and the process has already started to make the OP such a large subject that this will likely end like a big mess. 

But please go on, you considered the mitochondria. 

1 hour ago, Cleansox said:

This is no longer a physiological truth, it has been falsified. Unless you have a pulmonary disease, the amount of blood oxygen is not the defining factor. Regulatory system function on the other hand. 

As in:

Regulate the body. 

Regulate the breath. 

Regulate the mind. 

The basics of internal arts. 

Reference? 

Somehow, I am banned to this site on my computer. Would you please go google abdominal breathing and read about it.

Edited by ReturnDragon

11 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

It's been addressed already by @steve with clarity and respect.

But I feel compelled to share on this (to me) very false notion of human bodies being one system.

How to seperate meaningfully (not arbritrarily) the clear dividing line between my body and the environment?

The avocados I just ate, are from a farm about 45 miles north of here.

The bacon was from a farm about 500 miles away.

The air I'm inhaling originated who knows when?  Tens of thousands of years ago?  Eons ago... and been in the lungs of millions of other humans, animals, insects and plants.

My body is an amalgam of the ten thousand things, all recycled and recycling with no clear dividing line.

Those avocados and the flesh of those pigs, is not turning me into pig and avocado.  They are transitioning into human, even though if you look in my body, you will not ever find a 'human element'.  My body is made of the same elemental parts as all the other aspects of reality.  It is only the arrangement of those parts that we identify as human.  The pattern is recognizable... as is the pattern of a whirlpool... But is a whirlpool a thing, when you consider the molecules flowing through it every second? 

Is it a system separate from the river? 

Any attempt to distinguish organism from environment is to me a practice in myopia... and utterly dependent on the level of magnification of the perceptual mind doing to perceiving.

We are all of us, flowing verbs.  Proven with each inhale/exhale.

My one body, is a collection of 5 trillion individual life forms, each with a tribal affiliation and its own life force, process and cycle.

ok rant over... phew... that came on suddenly... may just delete this soon, but as I said, compelled to get this out.

I hope you don’t delete.

Once out these little poems (can feel trite or presumptuous to the discursive mind but they ) have a life and may serve as a little yeast cell for someone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Somehow, I am banned to this site on my computer. Would please go google abdominal breathing and read about it.

I know quite a lot about abdominal breathing. 

My earlier statement still stands. 

Hi @ReturnDragon, are you trying to guide the members reading here to what you view as a foregone conclusion, or actually engage in an open sort of exploration and dialogue?

: curiosity :

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Hi @ReturnDragon, are you trying to guide the members reading here to what you view as a foregone conclusion, or actually engage in an open sort of exploration and dialogue?

: curiosity :

All of the above.

17 minutes ago, ReturnDragon said:

Aerobics is good for the elderly to enhance mitochondrial function?

Nothing about abdominal breathing, and when it comes to abdominal breathing, increased blood oxygenation is not the main mechanism for increased energy unless you have some sort of disease, for example with the lungs. 

But nice try. 

Just now, Cleansox said:

Aerobics is good for the elderly to enhance mitochondrial function?

Nothing about abdominal breathing, and when it comes to abdominal breathing, increased blood oxygenation is not the main mechanism for increased energy unless you have some sort of disease, for example with the lungs. 

But nice try. 

Please don't jump the gun yet. It is about how exercise is affecting the quality and quantity of the mitochondria.