thelerner

Researching Deep Sleep, if anyone has any thoughts

I'm looking into Deep Sleep, sometimes known as Slow Wave Sleep (SWS).  Its considered the most rejuvenating and restorative sleep stage.  Its when the glymphatic system removes neurotoxins and beta-amyloids**.

• PHYSIOLOGY OF N3 SLEEP
  • EEG: slow-wave brainwaves
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Decreased blood pressure
  • Release of growth hormone
  • No eye movements
  •  
  • EXPERIENCES DURING N3 SLEEP
  • Very difficult to wake up from deep sleep
  • If awoken, disorientation and grogginess
  •  
  • FUNCTIONS OF N3 SLEEP
  • Cell repair and rejuvenation
  • Replenishing glycogen
  • Long-term memory
  • Removal of waste from the brain: glymphatic system

I want to find out if any meditation style or length of meditation either simulates Deep Sleep or increases it at night.  Anecdotally things that help general sleep tend to increase Deep Sleep ie not eating, drinking a few hours before bed, limiting or eliminating caffeine and alcohol etc.,  

I found studies where meditation increased REM sleep but haven't found one yet for Deep.  I'll keep looking.  While branches of Taoism took dream work very far, many sages wrote that deep dreamless sleep was the real aim  at night. 

Try Pink Noise: (https://www.sleepscore.com/extend-deep-sleep/)A recent study by Northwestern Medicine found that pink noise, like waves lapping on a beach or trees rustling in the wind, increased time spent in deep sleep. While the study only observed thirteen participants, it’s an exciting discovery in the world of sleep solutions.

A 2014 study in U of Fribourg found audio hypnotics could increase deep sleep by 80%.  Exercise helps too.   

**https://landing.ouraring.com/ln1d-stages-of-sleep?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IP_US-CA_G|s-o-s-ln1_ln1d&utm_term={keyword}&utm_content={creative}&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiAg9rxBRADEiwAxKDTuoQSd0dJ7KH_pXfUGCE2BUnxBE_EjbftNMK23VXFI7-tDFSft8kBchoCfNUQAvD_BwE)

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Shuigong or Sleeping Qigong is the style you seek. There are similar teachings also in Tibetan Buddhist tradition, but I am not familiar with these.

Speaking from personal experience, I have not found any as accessible and complete Daoist alchemy style as Shuigong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I want to find out if any meditation style or length of meditation either simulates Deep Sleep or increases it at night.

I wanted to add that this is the entire premise of highest yogic sleep, regardless of the style.

Deep sleep while remaining fully aware in that unconsciousness is very healing and powerful meditation.

In the highest level it leads to seeing luminosity of one's natural state which as a matter of fact is a direct way to enlightenment.

Edited by virtue
  • Like 2

Perhaps this post @steve made a year ago, may point in the general direction (although I have some reservations regarding what was highlighted as "experiences during N3 sleep" in the OP as they would relate to "dream yoga.")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am experiencing what I refer to as 'the grey zone' in morning sleep.

I come fully awake as usual, but remain still.

awareness and body bouyant in a zone of extreme relaxation and still calm presence...

Full lucid mind awareness but body soon returns to sleep.

Mind enters and exits dreaming without losing consciousness.

Fluid intermingling of dream and waking local awareness.

Float in this zone for extended periods

notion of self, localized unique personhood diffuses out into bouyant calm presence and witnessing

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I am experiencing what I refer to as 'the grey zone' in morning sleep.

I come fully awake as usual, but remain still.

awareness and body bouyant in a zone of extreme relaxation and still calm presence...

Full lucid mind awareness but body soon returns to sleep.

Mind enters and exits dreaming without losing consciousness.

Fluid intermingling of dream and waking local awareness.

Float in this zone for extended periods

notion of self, localized unique personhood diffuses out into bouyant calm presence and witnessing

This might be of interest to you —

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have much info to offer in response to the OP.

I can say that I've spent a fair amount of time with dream and sleep yoga practices.

The Tibetan approach to both subjects encourages behavior that leads to healthier, deeper, and more restful sleep.

In addition, I never feel more rested than after experiencing lucidity during dream or deep sleep.

I HIGHLY recommend these practices to everyone interested but a warning, they required considerable devotion and patience for me. 

Some come to it more naturally.

• Like 3

PSS - an online Sleep Yoga course is in the works. It will be available on Ligmincha Learning.  No release date yet. I also believe Rinpoche is working on a Sleep Yoga book.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, steve said:

PS - I just came across this, recently released by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

I don't have a copy... yet

It looks interesting - https://ligmincha.org/product/sacred-sleep/

The first track is a guided sleep meditation which gently brings one to rest in one's own heart. 

Listened to it the last two nights as I drifted off, and slept quite well. 

Thanks

• Like 2