Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

Dao of Humor

The Dao of Humor.

The Way of Laughter.

Play.

More and more, play and humor distinguish themselves as highest skill, incredibly potent. 

The mat is the mat.  and while meditation embodies mind, on and off cushion, the real work, for me in the moment is not in blank mind, nor attentive focus.  Not in visualizing paths of energy in or outside the body...

The real work for me is in transmuting hatred and vehement anger for laughter.

Germans are good at exemplifying this, in their response when the uber hateful fascists hold their annual 'hate parade'.  The rest line the streets with humorous signs and throw a party, loving and laughing their asses off.

Nothing shoots hate in the foot for me more effectively than authentic laughter.  Like bells ringing in fog.

I came to discover Chuang Tze rather late in life.  My first philosopher idol was George Carlin.  Never considered him a comedian, even when I first laughed myself sore memorizing his first album when I was 10.  George was a social commentarian an observer and a philosopher to me, who adroitly used keen wit and his scathingly fast intellect to illustrate the absurdities of social life through his hysterical observations and stories.

Carlin for me, echoes like a modern Chuang Tze.  Illustrating the absurd extremities of our dark and ignorant bits, with humor and keen insight born of a desire to laugh instead of rage. 

Playfulness and laughter in the face of rage.  This is my medicine of late... my recipe for praxis in the day to day.

So on that note... Here's George Carlin on 'stuff'.

"ever notice how other people's stuff is shit... and your shit... is stuff?"

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Do you find that laughter and humour needs to carefully applied? Because on the other hand, it can be mocking as well. I mean, setting this up alongside far-right "hate parade" I would think would be provocative.

Do you think Chuang Tse was respectively critical, or a comedian with little care if he offends the opposition?

Absolutely.

As with any tool, it could certainly be used poorly, ineffectively, or crudely.

High skill, to be used, must be cultivated it seems.  Not anyone can pick up the carver's tools and craft smooth scultpures of flowing gowns on realistic figures from stone and wood.

We don't rush in to use the master's tools without cutting ourselves.

But moving through life, utilizing humor and transforming mundane tasks into playful endeavors... is for me, revealing to be among the highest skills developing in my process.

Humor can break the cycle of trance that daily life tends to fall into for me... it pierces through hypnosis and naturally brings presence.

I'm beginning to lean into and identify with zen methods as i unfold in this...

The process of shocking the student, or self, into presence through humor, or random acts is something I've embodied throughout my life from childhood as a natural compulsion and when brought to bear with adroit timing by those around me, has resulted in piercing realizations and breakthroughs. 

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

A daoist was planning a trip to Europe, but first he went to see his teacher.

-- Sifu, I'm going to Europe, but there's so many beautiful women there.  Am I allowed to look at them?

-- Yes,-- the teacher replied.

-- Really?  What about going to the beach?  They are nearly naked there...  Can I look at them?

-- Yes, you can.

-- What if I chance upon a nuddist beach?  They are stark naked there!  

-- You can look at them.

-- Ai-ya!  I'm totally lost!  Sifu, then please tell me, what is it that I absolutely shouldn't be looking at?

-- Um...  Well, I don't know...  the welding arc?..   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this