Trunk

LDT Breathing in Plank (and other) position/s

I've recently 've been tinkering with lower dan tien breathing in plank position, at various angles: horizontal (as pictured below), or not as rigorous such as putting my elbows on the end of my bed (toes on floor), or on a window sill, etc.  I like it because it engages musculature in a way I miss from weight-lifting, but I am still careful to keep some soft aspect when I LDT breathe (balancing softness, tension, circulation within the LDT breathing).

plank.jpg

Curious what positions y'all have explored in conjunction with LDT breathing?

- Trunk

p.s.

... and anything that you feel moved to share in the general topic-area, please do. :) 

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Trunk!  In Yin Yoga I was taught to use a basic square pranayama breathing pattern.  Equal time duration of inhale, hold, exhale, hold.  Have used this with all poses in the Yin repertoire. 

• Thanks 1

We use LDT breathing in all of our Qi Kung. I breath into it nearly all the time. Throughout the night. All day.

It was interesting to see the pose you posted - will try that - a form that causes reverse breathing. This type tends to accentuate the golf ball relatively clearly and viserally. It will often bring heating but can bring other options up.

How does the pose you posted work for you? What do you feel from it? Do you feel the LDT clearly as a ball or sometimes as a mass and sometimes as a ball?

• Like 2

All of our temple style taiji breathing is LDT breathing. This carries into all breathing, pretty much all the time. 

• Like 3

Adding basic variations of plank while LDT breathing:

- side/s

- reverse

- lift one arm

- lift one leg

If any of you are inspired to blab about any related LDT breathing and/or position/s, please feel free. :)

I continue to get surprisingly effective results from LDT breathing while in plank, and basic plank variations (fwd, reverse, each side, lifting one arm/leg up, slowly rotating that arm/leg - all while LDT breathing).  It's super fast efficient, no equipment.  Really pleased with this line of exploration.  Journaling notes on process, results.

I find that DGS teacups complements LDT-breathing-in-plank (how about, "PlankLDT") really well.  Loosens around the spine.  Also a super concise fast efficient exercise.  These two work wonderfully, individually and especially together, and take almost no time to do, no equipment.  Really pleased with current ventures.  :D

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 1

Dantien breathing is always referred as LDT breathing. Breathing is breathing, you are only bringing oxygen into the lung. It doesn't matter what position one is in.

On 1/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, Trunk said:

I like it because it engages musculature in a way I miss from weight-lifting, but I am still careful to keep some soft aspect when I LDT breathe (balancing softness, tension, circulation within the LDT breathing).

interesting to see this thread again given the recent world record for plank at over 8 hours :)

Like Spotless and Dwai said, I follow LDT breathing 24x7 as a natural belly breath [as baby's are observed to do].  But I am assuming with the comments above, are you putting some focus or intent onto the breath or LDT; or like adding awareness to that part?   When you 'circulation within the LDT breathing' is that something other than inhale/exhale?

I recall my Medical Qigong master saying in some things we had done before, to 'use Qi instead of muscles to move'... or maybe in this case to hold the position.   I'm curious if you have tried anything like that, or you may mean this is the point of your LDT breathing with planks.

• Like 1

@dawei

Good questions.

I’ve recently felt a bit ‘pregnant’ with re-capping (concisely outline) my whole learning curve re: LDT breathing, including major mistakes.  Journaling therapy, perhaps therapeutic for me only, lol.  When I have time/energy for this, I will... maybe with some squiggly quick drawings, lol.

I can’t tell from this thread so far whether we’re referring to the same/very similar breathing method/s or not.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 7:21 AM, ReturnDragon said:

Breathing is breathing, you are only bringing oxygen into the lung. 

I get that, from a western medical perspective, it’s just getting oxygen / CO2 past the lung/blood barrier.

In qigong (and other forms of internal arts) it varies a *lot* more, descriptions based on how it feels (that might not line up with western physiology hardly at all).

It doesn't matter what position one is in.

Experiment, if you have the opportunity & interest: several hatha yoga classes.

39 minutes ago, Trunk said:

@dawei

Good questions.

I’ve recently felt a bit ‘pregnant’ with re-capping (concisely outline) my whole learning curve re: LDT breathing, including major mistakes.  Journaling therapy, perhaps therapeutic for me only, lol.  When I have time/energy for this, I will... maybe with some squiggly quick drawings, lol.

I can’t tell from this thread so far whether we’re referring to the same/very similar breathing method/s or not.

Interesting point on 'pregnant', like bloating sensation?

Me too on bold.   

I was suggesting that there is LDT breathing which is 24x7, once one can establish it as automatic.  But I suspect you are talking about using it with some for focus, the way someone might say sit and do the MCO or simply put their awareness on breath and/or LDT.

SO I was wondering how do you describe the LDT breathing you are doing in the midst of a plank?  What and where is your mind focus/awareness/intent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dawei said:

Interesting point on 'pregnant', like bloating sensation?

Just psychologically, lol, not physically... that some writing might relieve. :)

3 hours ago, Trunk said:

I get that, from a western medical perspective, it’s just getting oxygen / CO2 past the lung/blood barrier.

In qigong (and other forms of internal arts) it varies a *lot* more, descriptions based on how it feels (that might not line up with western physiology hardly at all).

Experiment, if you have the opportunity & interest: several hatha yoga classes.

Any physical body practice can be explained and justified with modern science. Anyone can breathe upside down or sideway, the body will still function the same. One might get a different name to any method. Nothing can contradict modern science.  Since this is a spiritual site, people can believe and claim anything they want as long they are happy with it.

IMMHO If one can justify any practice method with a good understanding, then, it will be more effective and appreciative. Since you had mentioned qigong, I can explain why and how it works substantiated with modern science. If you follow my posts, you will know what I mean. Qigong is a breathing method, I am only stay with this method is suffice. There is no need to go into other breathing methods. They are just being called by other names but still bring oxygen to the body cells. The feeling one might have may be different. However, the body is still function the same way.

3 hours ago, dawei said:

I was suggesting that there is LDT breathing which is 24x7, once one can establish it as automatic.  But I suspect you are talking about using it with some for focus, the way someone might say sit and do the MCO or simply put their awareness on breath and/or LDT.

During the breathing practice in meditation, that is when to focus on the LDT.
Once LDT breathing was established, it was said one has "sink chi to the datian (氣沈丹田)".

LDT breathing which is 24x7, once one can establish it as automatic. This is the highest realm one try to reach  It is what qigong is all about. In addition, if one has this notion established in one's mind, all the other practices will just fall in place with no doubt.

Edited by ReturnDragon

On 2/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, Trunk said:

;)

planks.jpg

Interesting.

Edited by senseless virtue
I edited out my crude humor that didn't fit well with the tone of the topic.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Trunk said:

Just psychologically, lol, not physically... that some writing might relieve. :)

Giving birth to thoughts and ideas in a "new form"?

Rather poetic.. 

• Like 1

Alright, here's a summary/outline of lower dan tien breathing, from my pt of view.

ldtbrprimer.jpg

• Like 1