Dalmat

Hello from Dalmatia

23 minutes ago, gatito said:

I can assure you that it's entirely possible to distance learn using the videos and the book although, you may struggle because of your level of comprehension of the language.

While it is possible to learn via distance, what is key is that you learned from the instructor himself, and nothing beats in-person guidance. He may have limited resources, and he'll have to accept that the level of skill he will develop is not going to be anywhere close to someone with formal instruction from a good teacher and lineage, though he will still reap some decent benefits. 

There are also dangers for jumping right into Zhan Zhuang too which the user @freeform has mentioned before in a couple other threads. Additionally, Lam's skill himself is decent, though I've seen better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

While it is possible to learn via distance, what is key is that you learned from the instructor himself, and nothing beats in-person guidance. He may have limited resources, and he'll have to accept that the level of skill he will develop is not going to be anywhere close to someone with formal instruction from a good teacher and lineage, though he will still reap some decent benefits. 

There are also dangers for jumping right into Zhan Zhuang too which the user @freeform has mentioned before in a couple other threads. Additionally, Lam's skill himself is decent, though I've seen better. 

rotfl.gif

Assumption is the mother of all fuckwits...

I learned ZZ from the video and the book. More than a decade later I walked into his public class and (after testing) I was given access to indoor teachings, to which some of his disciples do not have access.

Furthermore, I know that you've never seen Lam demonstrating his Tai Chi form, so you're certainly in no position to judge, even if your judgement was worth the paper it's written on...

As far as @freeform is concerned, I wonder if, like you, he's prepared to disgrace not only himself but also all of his teachers and their lineages by disrespecting Lam Kam Chuen and his lineage on a public forum (or even privately)?

Hope I've made myself clear now?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gatito said:

Assumption is the mother of all fuckwits...

Speak for yourself.

I learned ZZ from the video and the book. More than a decade later I walked into his public class and (after testing) I was given access to indoor teachings, to which some of his disciples do not have access.

Good for you--you still have yet to demonstrate any level of skill aside from being a marvelously bold example of pettiness and self-importance.

Indoor teachings with LKC mean nothing to me if your skills and understanding aren't worth anything. Besides: I have enough skill and my own lineage to not care much about him and what he knows--it's not a lot based on what he has publicly released in his book and video series, and if you think that those are perfect forms in that initial video, then the conversation is over because there are plenty of problems there from a Xin Yi perspective.

Furthermore, I know that you've never seen Lam demonstrating his Tai Chi form, so you're certainly in no position to judge, even if your judgement was worth the paper it's written on...

While you are correct that I have not seen his Taijiquan and am only going based off of what is publicly available, there is nothing worth boasting about. You remind me of Paul Roberts and how great he thought he was in Liuhebafa before he met my teachers, who were personal students of both Wang Xiangzhai and Chan Yikyan(Yiren). 

As far as @freeform is concerned, I wonder if, like you, he's prepared to disgrace not only himself but also all of his teachers and their lineages by disrespecting Lam Kam Chuen and his lineage on a public forum (or even privately)?

Comprehension appears to be one of your weaknesses for a native speaker and projection seems to be your default interpretation. 

I never disrespected LKC--I said nothing compares to learning in-person from a teacher and the skills are worlds apart from in-person learning versus video and book learning. If you are advocating that he learn from the book and video to promote your teacher, your love for your teacher and system is admirable, but your childishness is certainly something that is hardly desirable. 

Hope I've made myself clear now?

About as clear as New Delhi and Beijing smog given how dense you are acting, little kitten. 

Challenge our school any time and put your money where your mouth is--you would have to earn the respect you are demanding from anyone in our top five, and based on your obsessive and immediate response to discredit what you assumed that I said but never did, as I merely said I had seen better even if LKC is decent, you are not intimidating at all. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Speak for yourself.

Good for you--you still have yet to demonstrate any level of skill aside from being a marvelously bold example of pettiness and self-importance.

Indoor teachings with LKC mean nothing to me if your skills and understanding aren't worth anything. Besides: I have enough skill and my own lineage to not care much about him and what he knows--it's not a lot based on what he has publicly released in his book and video series, and if you think that those are perfect forms in that initial video, then the conversation is over because there are plenty of problems there from a Xin Yi perspective.

While you are correct that I have not seen his Taijiquan and am only going based off of what is publicly available, there is nothing worth boasting about. You remind me of Paul Roberts and how great he thought he was in Liuhebafa before he met my teachers, who were personal students of both Wang Xiangzhai and Chan Yikyan(Yiren). 

Comprehension appears to be one of your weaknesses for a native speaker and projection seems to be your default interpretation. 

I never disrespected LKC--I said nothing compares to learning in-person from a teacher and the skills are worlds apart from in-person learning versus video and book learning. If you are advocating that he learn from the book and video to promote your teacher, your love for your teacher and system is admirable, but your childishness is certainly something that is hardly desirable. 

About as clear as New Delhi and Beijing smog given how dense you are acting, little kitten. 

QED.

Thanks.

Anyway, actions speak louder than words, @gatito

If you see weak skill or no skill here, then your perception of power and quality is laughable. 

If your ego matched your skill, you'd shut up.

We've had plenty of people coming in from both internal traditions and MMA, almost as much certainty and self-importance as you.

Ain't nothing new--talk is cheap. We put our money where our mouths are and fight with fists. Come over to Manila, Taipei, or Bangkok, and schedule a meeting with the main representatives and see if you really have what you think you have by demonstrating you have rooting--see if you even know the difference between rooting and grounding. Invite us over to your location if that works better for you to show you can handle resistance and hindrance from even being leaned on or pushed, but you will have to pay for all travel and accommodation as the burden of proof is on you if you truly have the skills and power you claim to have as a supposed indoor student of Lam.

We're more than happy to test your mettle and teach some skills to prospective students if you're humble enough to recognize what you don't know. We're perfectly fine with you thinking what you do--it doesn't impact who comes and enrolls in our classes or not nor does it change our quality of learning and instruction. 

It is apocryphally attributed to Mark Twain who once said "It ain't what we don't know that will kill us, it's what we think we know for certain that just ain't so that will." The funny thing is, you were the one talking about assumptions--again, I never insulted LKC, so get over yourself. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gatito said:

Lam style ZZ is NOT considered to be meditation (by Sifu Lam). Do not attempt to meditate while practicing; it's actually better to watch TV.

What's the purpose of this Zhan Zhuang interpretation then? To become an expressionless showroom dummy?

Deep calmness (samatha) meditation is approached through relaxation and inner peace. Both are basically the natural consequences of allowing and yielding. These are very natural and completely alright to happen, and I in fact guarantee that everyone would be happier and enjoy their lives with more natural relaxation and inner peace.

Just being carefree with gravity and with emotions; not pushing against either. What's wrong if the practice becames enjoyable and still enough to be called meditation?

• There are far better ways to achieve complete relaxation than stand still with a dull mind, even though the body may have the facade of repose. Deep meditation is needed for total relaxation of deep tissue, fascia, and nerves.

• There are far better ways to shake tension than the dull ZZ you describe. Again, it isn't possible to relax deeply in a static non-meditative standing position, so that your deep tension really comes off. It's possible to shake off well without meditation, but it really then requires applying a different neurophysiological mechanism through localized dynamic tension like Trauma Releasing Exercises do.

I am genuinely very puzzled if you are unwittingly distorting your teacher's teachings. ZZ is supposed to be internal training and I see little evidence of such. Please, care to explain yourself?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, virtue said:

What's the purpose of this Zhan Zhuang interpretation then? To become an expressionless showroom dummy?

Deep calmness (samatha) meditation is approached through relaxation and inner peace. Both are basically the natural consequences of allowing and yielding. These are very natural and completely alright to happen, and I in fact guarantee that everyone would be happier and enjoy their lives with more natural relaxation and inner peace.

Just being carefree with gravity and with emotions; not pushing against either. What's wrong if the practice becames enjoyable and still enough to be called meditation?

• There are far better ways to achieve complete relaxation than stand still with a dull mind, even though the body may have the facade of repose. Deep meditation is needed for total relaxation of deep tissue, fascia, and nerves.

• There are far better ways to shake tension than the dull ZZ you describe. Again, it isn't possible to relax deeply in a static non-meditative standing position, so that your deep tension really comes off. It's possible to shake off well without meditation, but it really then requires applying a different neurophysiological mechanism through localized dynamic tension like Trauma Releasing Exercises do.

I am genuinely very puzzled if you are unwittingly distorting your teacher's teachings. ZZ is supposed to be internal training and I see little evidence of such. Please, care to explain yourself?

Not to mention that without the meditative state, intent can’t be used in martial application. His definition of meditation could be different from Xin Yi though, but we have zero intent that allows watching tv and heavy intent that can really demand a lot of concentration, which is a part of the development of power that is the phase called Hindrance. 

• Like 1

Well, @virtue, given that @gatito has not replied, it shows the disingenuous nature of his hasty attempt to defend against a non-existent slight towards his master and loud declaration of joining his inner circle so promptly. 

Too many holes in stories like these: a westerner with no background in the arts (that he has shared as of yet) takes an auto-didactic approach from a book and ten-part series (which ignores the nuances of every individual's unique set of adjustments and development as per the principles of TCM that states each body is different) and ten years later, joins an inner circle with a teacher in the East. 

A little too contrived. It sounds like he was recruited because of easy money and gullibility: a lad who was willing to drink the Kool-Aid and believe himself to be a part of some secret group that only the Special and Chosen could join, who is himself not necessarily the cash cow, but the all too happy to freely promote the school and book series.

Free advertising and a gullible tool who has yet to demonstrate the skill or understanding while openly declaring others can have the same power he has by studying on their own the same course (and yet he still makes it clear he wishes to stand out for studying with LKC himself later on). 

The funny thing is, my own teacher and fellow students can look at Lam's book and see how the martial applications and the absurd idea that Zhan Zhuang is not meditation now reveals a glaring issue with Lam's own incomplete training that Lam himself may not be aware of either.

QED he says (quod erat demonstratum-) that indicates the argument is complete--but it is apparent that when he did his math that he forgot to carry the stupid when he divided his intelligence into fractions and multiplied it by hubris.

The invitation remains, however, if he would like to go beyond childish boasts and insults like calling us "fuckwits" unsubtly and prove he has skill. The videos I have posted are adequate enough to demonstrate the high levels of skill that are downplayed in those clips, which he has yet to show any understanding of his own. Bold words, empty threats--the usual from people unwilling to prove their mettle. As he was willing to fly to meet Lam, he is not lacking in the finances to meet our schoolmaster and learn something of value, and the second video is a direct link to the master himself to schedule a meeting if he so desires. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1

On 13/03/2020 at 8:45 PM, virtue said:

So, can you name some of that better ways?

Sooo, I was in Mountains and I apologise for my late respond...

Oh, "Fuckwith is a name, not a verb as I supposed.

I have to admit, this kind of conversation isn't Tao at all, but maybe I didn't get it right.

Anyhow, let's start this conversation from point zero. Why am I here at all, why am I trying to learn Qigong?

As a kid, 8 years old I started with taekwon do. With 17 I fought on state level in Full contact, but at the same time I found out "something   completly diferent" - cave exploring, what showed me that there are juicier chalenges than beating (or getting beated) someone betwen the ropes. I continued training just to stay in good shape.

Now (for more than 20 years) I have PTSD; 

I found myself in depression, without no anger controle, and, as I'm not small guy, I was walking danger. Especially with my MA knowledge. So, I started to use Zen meditation, and skiped to Aikido.

During times I tried, in cronical orrder: Tantra, Falun Gong, 5 Tibetans,  Jade body Qigong, Ba gua, ZZ, and so on. Now I'm on Fragrant QG. 

My goals are to be calm, in control, life full and healthy and energised.

So, can anyone direct me.

And yes, I live in apendix of Europe, so I can learn only from books and youtube.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2020 at 6:04 PM, gatito said:

You will struggle to learn from the book in isolation, as it was published as an adjunct to a 10 part TV series.

Here's part 1:

From here you can locate the other 9 parts easily.

You've certainly rushed the learning process, as you could easily spend a couple of years building a solid foundation by practicing just the 8 Brocades, the warmups/cooldowns and the first two positions. These first 2 positions are demonstrated in videos 1, 2 and 3. You'll find all of the  8 Brocades demonstrated over the course of the 10 part series of videos.

Incidentally, I've been taught by Sifu Lam both in in his public classes and in private and I can assure you that it's entirely possible to distance learn using the videos and the book although, you may struggle because of your level of comprehension of the language.

One other vital point - Lam style ZZ is NOT considered to be meditation (by Sifu Lam). Do not attempt to meditate while practicing; it's actually better to watch TV. If you attend his classes, you'll be corrected instantly if you drop into meditation either accidentally or deliberately.

Hm, I found this series long after I stop with ZZ, and there is no difference between my doing and the Masters doing.

On 13/03/2020 at 4:46 PM, Earl Grey said:

What do you mean “your teacher is an instructor”? I know English isn’t your first language but this makes no sense.

Instructor is the one who histericaly screeams: "I have told you five times!", and "I'm the master here, get your head out of your but!".

Teacher has a much more egoless aproach.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Dalmat said:

So, can you name some of that better ways?

Learn from a teacher who gets the benefits from his practice, has integrity and compassion, and veritably teaches Zhan Zhuang as a type of meditation that leads to dhyana states.

More thoughts here:

Since you mention PTSD in one of your posts, then learning Trauma Releasing Exercises is a good way to deal with it. I already mentioned it as a superb way to remove deep tension. You can PM me if you want instructions.

Want another piece of advice? You should also reconsider the consultation offers that Earl Grey gave to you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dalmat said:

Instructor is the one who histericaly screeams: "I have told you five times!", and "I'm the master here, get your head out of your but!".

Teacher has a much more egoless aproach.

Oh you meant drill instructor, like from the military who orders you around. An instructor is general just like teacher and are synonymous, but what you meant was drill instructor.

1 hour ago, Dalmat said:

Sooo, I was in Mountains and I apologise for my late respond...

Oh, "Fuckwith is a name, not a verb as I supposed.

I have to admit, this kind of conversation isn't Tao at all, but maybe I didn't get it right.

Anyhow, let's start this conversation from point zero. Why am I here at all, why am I trying to learn Qigong?

As a kid, 8 years old I started with taekwon do. With 17 I fought on state level in Full contact, but at the same time I found out "something   completly diferent" - cave exploring, what showed me that there are juicier chalenges than beating (or getting beated) someone betwen the ropes. I continued training just to stay in good shape.

Now (for more than 20 years) I have PTSD; 

I found myself in depression, without no anger controle, and, as I'm not small guy, I was walking danger. Especially with my MA knowledge. So, I started to use Zen meditation, and skiped to Aikido.

During times I tried, in cronical orrder: Tantra, Falun Gong, 5 Tibetans,  Jade body Qigong, Ba gua, ZZ, and so on. Now I'm on Fragrant QG. 

My goals are to be calm, in control, life full and healthy and energised.

So, can anyone direct me.

And yes, I live in apendix of Europe, so I can learn only from books and youtube.

The conversation is Tao because Tao isn't necessarily acting saintly--all is Tao. But it is not following what is commonly associated with Taoist virtue, or De , so yes--there is not De in that conversation from gatito's perceived insult towards his teacher and calling me a "fuckwit" then running away and avoiding questions from both me and virtue while tagging freeform into this conversation. This is absent of De. Actions speak louder than words anyway....

As for needing an outlet for your PTSD, you definitely can learn online from good teachers, but it isn't going to be free or cheap. Having seen a lot of scammers or severely unqualified people who get recommended here, I really don't recommend most people aside from the few I personally know and a select few others, especially as you may be more interested in someone who guides you as a human being, not just giving you instructions and sending you out into the wild. 

1 hour ago, Dalmat said:

Hm, I found this series long after I stop with ZZ, and there is no difference between my doing and the Masters doing.

That's because LKC's video series is directed towards beginners. :) But there are also things that a beginner will not be able to see, such as intent and micromovements that are done even internally when still. I repeat: from a Xin Yi perspective and framework, his skill is below ours, but from his own, it may work just fine (though if he has gatito as an official representative of the school, I seriously question his choice of students and leadership...). 

Self-study is not recommended aside from the few systems that virtue posted in that thread, so see what you like there, but the offer stands to give you a consultation, both regular and Akashic to send you where you best need to be for your interests and limitations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your offer Earl.

So I checked out the Flying Pheonix DVD's, and 140 bucks is about 1/4 of my incomes. Off course,   I can bay one by one, so, I'll think about it.

If I may ask what do you consider by Akashic consultation?

3 hours ago, Dalmat said:

Thanks for your offer Earl.

So I checked out the Flying Pheonix DVD's, and 140 bucks is about 1/4 of my incomes. Off course,   I can bay one by one, so, I'll think about it.

If I may ask what do you consider by Akashic consultation?

read the faq

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dalmat said:

That's literally incredible.

Well done!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

read the faq

OK, I know what Akasha is, but I didn't knew that there is reading beside of clairvoyant people. And you connect with your MTLs? In a kind of meditation? Wow! 

I've expected lotta MA talk here, lot's of "put your hand a bit right" and "tuck your chin" talk, and now... Esoteric! Love it!

Is there an esoteric Qigong? A QG what makes man to essayer go out of body or to enhance man's intuition?

The test said that I have no parasites or curses. I was planing to see a clairvoyant friend to check me out, because i have a strange feeling that something is holding me down, like my hands are tied. It, now I see, has to be me.

Thx for your reading offer, it will be hard since we are about 10 hours time difference, and no drugs and alcohol for 24 hours, but I'll sure PM you. 

12 hours ago, gatito said:

That's literally incredible.

Well done!

Thx.

I've learned Marxism from a book in high school, after that shit I believe that everything can be learned from a book.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dalmat said:

OK, I know what Akasha is, but I didn't knew that there is reading beside of clairvoyant people. And you connect with your MTLs? In a kind of meditation? Wow! 

I've expected lotta MA talk here, lot's of "put your hand a bit right" and "tuck your chin" talk, and now... Esoteric! Love it!

Is there an esoteric Qigong? A QG what makes man to essayer go out of body or to enhance man's intuition?

The test said that I have no parasites or curses. I was planing to see a clairvoyant friend to check me out, because i have a strange feeling that something is holding me down, like my hands are tied. It, now I see, has to be me.

Thx for your reading offer, it will be hard since we are about 10 hours time difference, and no drugs and alcohol for 24 hours, but I'll sure PM you. 

I have read for people in your country before and around the world across all regions. It is only as difficult as you make it to be.

20 minutes ago, Dalmat said:

Thx.

I've learned Marxism from a book in high school, after that shit I believe that everything can be learned from a book.

Studying Marx is not the same as studying the internal arts. It is also important to know that many books are either incomplete or have disinformation because they're primarily marketing and recruiting tools. No master reveals everything in his book knowing that the hungry student will want more and seek to acquire more when the book doesn't satisfy them enough, and plenty more reasons I could get into.

I could point you to threads here of some people who claimed to have learned from books alone and then showed that they had a lot of concepts they didn't understand well at all. The user Mskied did that with Crowley and got schooled by Crowley scholar Nungali here. 

I would also be careful about self-analysis because you don't know what you don't know at your current level of skill--it may look the same from the outside, but it is not the same with subtle things that only someone formally trained can see. 

If you look at videos of Paul Roberts and compare him to Glenn Hairston, you will see a world of difference in skill--the former has none and the latter is literally an immortal fighter who has very few who compare to his level of skill--the above video of David Chan doing fajin is one of them, along with Doo Wai. And if you can't see the difference, then you don't have the skill to see or know yet. Being brutally honest, this thread has shown you have a ways to go based on what your initial questions about Fragrant reveal.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I have read for people in your country before and around the world across all regions. It is only as difficult as you make it to be.

Studying Marx is not the same as studying the internal arts. It is also important to know that many books are either incomplete or have disinformation because they're primarily marketing and recruiting tools. No master reveals everything in his book knowing that the hungry student will want more and seek to acquire more when the book doesn't satisfy them enough, and plenty more reasons I could get into.

I could point you to threads here of some people who claimed to have learned from books alone and then showed that they had a lot of concepts they didn't understand well at all. The user Mskied did that with Crowley and got schooled by Crowley scholar Nungali here. 

I would also be careful about self-analysis because you don't know what you don't know at your current level of skill--it may look the same from the outside, but it is not the same with subtle things that only someone formally trained can see. 

If you look at videos of Paul Roberts and compare him to Glenn Hairston, you will see a world of difference in skill--the former has none and the latter is literally an immortal fighter who has very few who compare to his level of skill--the above video of David Chan doing fajin is one of them, along with Doo Wai. And if you can't see the difference, then you don't have the skill to see or know yet. Being brutally honest, this thread has shown you have a ways to go based on what your initial questions about Fragrant reveal.

That with Marxism was a joke, since Marxism  is a useless doctrine 150 years old, and in high school all of my friends had a bigger problem with that than with math.

What, someone is teaching Megatherions things here? 

Self- analysis? Oooh, in that I'm experienced, trust me.

So, my dear and cooperative Earl, I love people to be honest with me, and I'm ready to go my ways, but first need to find the direction signs. Since I'm not in the best shape, fragrant QG will be enough for the first 1000 miles. 

I'll Check the video that you mentioned, just to see where I am.

Thx for your kindness and will to explain me how things are.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dalmat said:

That with Marxism was a joke, since Marxism  is a useless doctrine 150 years old, and in high school all of my friends had a bigger problem with that than with math.

What, someone is teaching Megatherions things here? 

Self- analysis? Oooh, in that I'm experienced, trust me.

So, my dear and cooperative Earl, I love people to be honest with me, and I'm ready to go my ways, but first need to find the direction signs. Since I'm not in the best shape, fragrant QG will be enough for the first 1000 miles. 

I'll Check the video that you mentioned, just to see where I am.

Thx for your kindness and will to explain me how things are.

Again, you won't know what you're looking at if you know basic arithmetic but are asked to look at calculus and matrix algebra--and then quantum physics. All very different, and that's why I say you may be good with self-analysis with what you know about yourself, but you don't know enough about these internal arts yet.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Dolic is a good teacher, by the way--so if you need guidance, he's definitely someone you would best enjoy given you speak the same languages.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Thanks 1

On 2020-03-17 at 1:08 PM, Earl Grey said:

such as intent and micromovements that are done even internally when still. 

And if someone is approaching zz from the point of affecting PTSD, these two aspects might become gamechaingers. 

I would recommend not only a skilled teacher but a teacher with some understanding of the area of interest. 

@Dalmat

Self-study in this area leads to purely random chances at doing what you, as an individual, need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1