Sign in to follow this  
MegaMind

Don't eat street food in China

I'd say it depends- plenty of decent street food vendors who wouldn't do this. You can usually tell who they are by them showing up in the same places.

RFA is US state-run media and definitely has an angle in what they choose to report and amplify, even if the actual content is accurate.

Its not just the oil, but the food itself at times .   A fish caught in obviously  disgustingly polluted water  can then be taken direct to a 'restaurant ' for sale  .... all while you  sit outside that restaurant  eating their food and watching it happen .

It spills over to the west as well .

" A few years after the spike in popularity of basa fish, scientists discovered the danger of its consumption. Basa fish are farmed along the Mekong River—one of the most polluted rivers in the world. Large manufacturers planted along this river frequently dump extremely toxic and dangerous chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. In June of 2001, the US Food and Drug Administration imposed increased and more thorough testing on Southeast Asian farm-raised seafood including the basa fish after repeatedly discovering fish contaminated with heavy metals and banned antibiotics.

" In March 2007, The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service surveyed 100 fish from this river and detected 14 antimicrobial chemicals at low levels, including sulphonamides, tetracyclines, malachite green, penicillin, quinolones, flouroquinolones and phenicols antimicrobial chemical groups ...

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

" A few years after the spike in popularity of basa fish, scientists discovered the danger of its consumption. Basa fish are farmed along the Mekong River—one of the most polluted rivers in the world. Large manufacturers planted along this river frequently dump extremely toxic and dangerous chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. In June of 2001, the US Food and Drug Administration imposed increased and more thorough testing on Southeast Asian farm-raised seafood including the basa fish after repeatedly discovering fish contaminated with heavy metals and banned antibiotics.

" In March 2007, The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service surveyed 100 fish from this river and detected 14 antimicrobial chemicals at low levels, including sulphonamides, tetracyclines, malachite green, penicillin, quinolones, flouroquinolones and phenicols antimicrobial chemical groups ...

That Basa disinfo was funded by native fishing concerns who were losing market share to cheap imports:

https://www.timescolonist.com/life/ask-eric-is-it-safe-to-eat-imported-basa-fish-1.87907

Don't believe everything you read, everyone has an agenda on the internet.

I ate it and without knowing anything about it  my body immediately  started flashing red light .  So I started looking up  things about it "

'Eric'  (from your link ) says  ' pure water from the Himalayas feeds the Mekong .'

You eat it if you want  .... have you seen how its farmed ?    Have you seen the Mekong ?

yeah , dont believe everything you  read on internet

Enjoy your basa after watching the vid  ;) 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, alchemystical said:

That Basa disinfo was funded by native fishing concerns who were losing market share to cheap imports:

https://www.timescolonist.com/life/ask-eric-is-it-safe-to-eat-imported-basa-fish-1.87907

Don't believe everything you read, everyone has an agenda on the internet.

http://www.crdt.org.kh/2013/09/mekong-river-pollution/

I sure as hell would not eat anything out of that river unless I was starving!  Which I might add, is a damn shame!

Because fishing for their monster Catfish would be cool! But, I will not fish for what I won't eat.

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

Like I said, there are three sides to this story and you cherry picking quotes and using them out of context speaks volumes about your character.  Context:

The Seafood Importers Association of Australasia paints a very rosy picture. On their website, seafoodimporters.com.au, they say basa are grown in one of the most suitable environments for fish-farming in the world. They note the Mekong River, which drains much of the Himalayan snow melt, has one of the largest consistent flows of fresh, clean water on the planet. They add that Australian environmental scientists working for the Mekong River Commission, which monitors water quality at more than 50 sites, confirm that testing over the past 15 years shows no serious contamination of the river.

Other sources, however, strongly suggest the Mekong River, which flows thorough some densely populated countries, is highly polluted.

In the United States, basa from Vietnam has been banned in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama after it was claimed that illegal antibiotics turned up in samples of the fish.

But some people have questioned whether that decision was influenced by the fact those three states, which farm a whole lot of their own catfish, were simply protecting their own multimillion-dollar industry.

Two reputable sources that help consumers and businesses make choices about fish consumption are the Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise Program and, in the United States, the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch.

Even these two groups have different opinions about basa.

I'd be willing to guarantee you there are more things you consume daily that are way worse than Basa yet, handily, your red light must take the day off every now and then. Trying to fit the facts to your predetermined narrative never really ends well...

Bottom line is pretty much every single thing we eat is messed with in some way shape or form and is nowhere near the quality of what it used to be around 50 years ago due to the way modern agriculture works and how everything is driven by the bottom line but seeing as we've got a forum full of holier than thou, know it all bellybutton gazers slash spiritual savants its nice someone comes through and kicks them in the arse every now and then.

At ease.

37 minutes ago, alchemystical said:

Like I said, there are three sides to this story and you cherry picking quotes and using them out of context speaks volumes about your character.  Context:

I'd be willing to guarantee you there are more things you consume daily that are way worse than Basa yet, handily, your red light must take the day off every now and then.

There are many products my system red lights .   Including medicine ; I threw my 'stats' away , before I heard about their expose . The first time I tasted either of the unnatural artificial sweeteners  ... red light .... anything with taurine in it (  eg red bull ) .

I am not saying its a perfect detection system though .

Trying to fit the facts to your predetermined narrative never really ends well...

It wasnt predetermined , it was an investigation as to why I spat it out ... THEN the determination came later .

Bottom line is pretty much every single thing we eat is messed with in some way shape or form and is nowhere near the quality of what it used to be around 50 years ago due to the way modern agriculture works and how everything is driven by the bottom line

We might mean you , but how do you know that means me ? 

Do you know me yet ? Have you been reading my posts here over the years ?

Oh, but you have judged my 'character' .   :)

Many old Bums know I live in a pristine environment , have numerous native and exotic sub tropic food trees - organic ,  organic veggie garden , make my own fertilizer , used to be the Biodynamic  soil preparations and soil conditioner maker and supplier for Australia .  Made organic tofu tempeh and bean sprouts in our own communal factory  , brewed my own beer and grew my own , organic and special cross breed gunga .

We also have an excellent supply shop in town for other products .  And a local wonderful Swiss woman who makes organic goats cheeses , and  slaughters her home grown organic  pigs and cows . . .  and sells the products locally .

The next town has  good quality potatoes ,  cattle pig and sheep meat , local trout farm . All produced locally . The oceans here are pretty  clean too  .

but seeing as we've got a forum full of holier than thou, know it all bellybutton gazers slash spiritual savants

... yes, I have noticed that . I wonder about their REAL experiences though , 'in the field' so to speak .

its nice someone comes through and kicks them in the arse every now and then.

Why , thank you !

At ease.

Yes Sir ! 

The normal way ;

48f2543f60c1fd3d0d3d70b3e0ed0bf1.png

The Nungali way ;

tenor.gif

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, alchemystical said:

I'd be willing to guarantee you there are more things you consume daily that are way worse than Basa yet, handily, your red light must take the day off every now and then. Trying to fit the facts to your predetermined narrative never really ends well...

Bottom line is pretty much every single thing we eat is messed with in some way shape or form and is nowhere near the quality of what it used to be around 50 years ago due to the way modern agriculture works and how everything is driven by the bottom line but seeing as we've got a forum full of holier than thou, know it all bellybutton gazers slash spiritual savants its nice someone comes through and kicks them in the arse every now and then.

At ease.

"Bottom line is pretty much every single thing we eat is messed with in some way shape or form and is nowhere near the quality of what it used to be around 50 years ago due to the way modern agriculture works and how everything is driven by the bottom line but seeing as we've got a forum full of holier than thou, know it all bellybutton gazers slash spiritual savants its nice someone comes through and kicks them in the arse every now and then."

First of all you tell me to accept that things are much worse than 50 years ago! Not where I get my food!  Maybe you accept that.

A community of farmers you know is the only way to go!

Then you go on to talk about holier than thou, this and that!  What the hell do you think you are doing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moment said:

http://www.crdt.org.kh/2013/09/mekong-river-pollution/

I sure as hell would not eat anything out of that river unless I was starving!  Which I might add, is a damn shame!

Because fishing for their monster Catfish would be cool! But, I will not fish for what I won't eat.

20170922165949-1.jpg

mtpga%20(1).jpg

But the fish is fine !  G'ahead ... g'ahead    eat up !

Adding to this are concerns that freshwater fish farming in the Mekong has slashed wetland habitat for endangered otters, birds and turtles.

Edited by Nungali
  • Sad 2

We've slashed our fish consumption quite a bit, especially in the last decade and recent years... even more.

Shrimp... anything from the Gulf... not a freaking chance.  Chinese farmed fish... nope. 

Pickings are slim, but my gal is a hunter and a mermaid at heart, she finds the clean good stuff and we enjoy it even more as it's not always available.

Particularly when eating out I avoid fish.  Just no way to know what the source is, despite what they say...  guess I'm cynical, or just had too many system red alert signal sessions like Nungali to be willing to play roulette any longer. 

Reeeeeally tired of feeling off from crap food any more.  I'll just skip a meal, rather than eat dump food.

It's not all gloom though, by any means, Torrance has a truly massive Farmer's Market each Saturday and Tuesday.
All venders must be locally sourced within 50 miles to participate.  Scores of amazing produce venders, organic Bison, organic cheeses, local raw honey... it's amazing.  The line for the eggs is always the longest...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

I'd say it depends- plenty of decent street food vendors who wouldn't do this. You can usually tell who they are by them showing up in the same places.

RFA is US state-run media and definitely has an angle in what they choose to report and amplify, even if the actual content is accurate.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-food-security/china-to-ramp-up-crack-down-on-gutter-oil-idUSKBN17Q18O

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2091125/chinese-restaurant-staff-jailed-cooking-gutter-oil

https://time.com/3300093/taiwan-gutter-oil-hong-kong-chang-guann-maxims-cakes-starbucks-7-eleven/

This is not RFA propaganda.

The Chinese media openly admitted the "sewer oil" problem exists in 2009 or so, and back then under different leadership the CCP allowed a reasonably free press, so long as the party itself was not criticized. There was for years extensive investigative reporting into sewer oil manufacturing, as well as countless other disgusting things that would shock you and which I don't care to list. (Sadly, since Xi Jinping aka "Xitler" took power investigative journalism has been gutted, because now the media is only allowed to report on "positive things")

Not only did no Chinese person I ever met doubt the veracity of the sewer oil story, all of my friends took it as a given that it is probably impossible to avoid sewer oil in the country at all, regardless of whether you eat street food, fancy restaurant food, or cook for yourself using supposedly imported oil. 

I personally always considered this a trade-off I was willing to deal with. Chances of eating sewer oil in LA? Pretty low. Chances of having somebody point a gun at me on a street corner in BJ? Pretty low. Then again, now I live where I don't have to worry about getting shot or eating french fries deep fried in poop oil. Much prefer that. 

6 hours ago, GSmaster said:

With the air quality and food quality in china.

It is more than surprising they live beyond 60 years old.

On the one hand, this is a testament to Chinese folk wisdom, which contains a lot of good advice for maintaining good health which people integrate with their diets, sleeping habits, clothing choices, etc. But I wouldn't be surprised if life expectancy begins to drop there again. Cancer rates have risen considerably in a very short period of time, along with obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and mental illness. 

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this