Earl Grey

Why gendao is worth having on this forum

7 hours ago, welkin said:

And how ironic considering how you criticize everyone else in here about power, blah blah blah.

Just a point: he has not criticized me, and as I would be one of the everyone else here, this makes your statement false. 

Blah blah blah indeed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I'm reminded of a sign that hangs on the door of a dive bar that I pass on my way to our local noodle shop.

When they open the door to the bar, the sign can be read as you walk by:

No man is entirely useless.

Even a bad man is useful as a good example

of how not to be.

I smile and thank them silently for the reminder that I'm not entirely useless...

Then go devour a bowl of spicy noodles with a frosty cold beer.

I'm game for the noodles...though I prefer Beijing style Noodle-soups. I'll pass on the cold beer for a plain club soda with a wedge of lime :D 

I know that it might feel good to get angry, retaliate and hit back at those who seem to be baiting us. But maybe we need to also look inward, and check whether there is something in any particular interaction that triggers our ego to react in a massive way.

Not taking sides here...since many of us come here for spiritual camaraderie, maybe we should practice being patient and compassionate and practice loving-kindness? And then, if someone is hell-bent of annoying you, simply put them on your ignore list (I've got a few specimens on said list ;) )...problem solved...

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dwai said:

I know that it might feel good to get angry, retaliate and hit back at those who seem to be baiting us. But maybe we need to also look inward, and check whether there is something in any particular interaction that triggers our ego to react in a massive way.

Not taking sides here...since many of us come here for spiritual camaraderie, maybe we should practice being patient and compassionate and practice loving-kindness? And then, if someone is hell-bent of annoying you, simply put them on your ignore list (I've got a few specimens on said list ;) )...problem solved...

Do you think part of the subconscious inner dynamic may be a sort of "Power of Hercules" thing in which the individual is the "hero" of his/her own story, needing monsters to fight in order to prove their own worth/ worthiness? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Do you think part of the subconscious inner dynamic may be a sort of "Power of Hercules" thing in which the individual is the "hero" of his/her own story, needing monsters to fight in order to prove their own worth/ worthiness? 

Its not for me to say what it is -- I think it varies from person to person, depending on their individual journey and story.

What I've seen is that, it is simply a failure to recognize that me and the 'other' are not separate in essence (though the body-mind certainly is or appears to be separate).

Yeah I know...the previous sentence can send certain individuals into bouts of apoplectic rage...but they need to investigate -- why is it that the words of some random stranger on the internet is capable of creating such extreme reactions in them?

I think people seek energetic reactions from other people -- there certainly is exchange of emotions/feelings in our social interactions. What are those if not energy patterns being evoked, thereby causing thoughts, emotions and feelings? 

That's why trolls troll. They get energy out of the reaction of their victims. They get a high from being able to elicit reactions, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet -- perhaps because their personal lives are not very pleasant, or eventful. Maybe they are sad little individuals sitting in their mom's basements trying to muster up enough courage to go out and face the world. Erroneously they think that some day, after they've acquired enough 'power' through their trolling activities, they can step out and face the real world without fear. 

PS. -- so that its not mistaken as such, I had neither Earl nor Gendao in mind when I was referring to trolls :D 

it is very clear to those with discernment, who those trolls are ;) 

Edited by dwai
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dwai said:

What I've seen is that, it is simply a failure to recognize that me and the 'other' are not separate in essence (though the body-mind certainly is or appears to be separate).

I think this is a topic we could explore further as perhaps we have different understandings of what non-seperate means and it's implications. Perhaps another thread?

8 minutes ago, dwai said:

Yeah I know...the previous sentence can send certain individuals into bouts of apoplectic rage...but they need to investigate -- why is it that the words of some random stranger on the internet is capable of creating such extreme reactions in them?

I don't like the implications I see in this statement, as I've seen such commentary used to dismiss and disregard both the individual it's addressed to, and the personal responsibility of the party issuing such statements. 

This is also a subject which can have great depth - which imo is worth (personal and interpersonal) exploration. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I think this is a topic we could explore further as perhaps we have different understandings of what non-seperate means and it's implications. Perhaps another thread?

I've got plenty of threads in the Hindu sub-forum on this subject. If I go into why here, it will end up becoming another bone of contention :) 

11 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

I don't like the implications I see in this statement, as I've seen such commentary used to dismiss and disregard both the individual it's addressed to, and the personal responsibility of the party issuing such statements. 

This is also a subject which can have great depth - which imo is worth (personal and interpersonal) exploration. 

I certainly didn't mean it to dismiss and disregard anything. But don't you think the onus of how we feel about something is primarily on us? Feeling is a state of mind, right? We can choose to react to something, or not. 

Depending on 'others' to determine how we feel seems self-disempowering to me. Especially in situations where we have control - for e.g. on a board like this -- which gives us ability to simply ignore someone who's trolling us. 

But also generally in life, if we depend on others for how we feel about ourselves, we might end up with a very chaotic quality of life. I'll be happy to explore this topic on a separate thread if you want to start one :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dwai said:

I've got plenty of threads in the Hindu sub-forum on this subject. If I go into why here, it will end up becoming another bone of contention :) 

I don't really venture into the Hindu sub-forum, and my understanding, while experiential, seems more in tune with what I understand of Buddhist and psychological modeling. 

1 minute ago, dwai said:

I certainly didn't mean it to dismiss and disregard anything. But don't you think the onus of how we feel about something is primarily on us? Feeling is a state of mind, right? We can choose to react to something, or not. 

I would say those who react instead of respond are not operating from a place of choice, but habituation.

1 minute ago, dwai said:

Depending on 'others' to determine how we feel seems self-disempowering to me. Especially in situations where we have control - for e.g. on a board like this -- which gives us ability to simply ignore someone who's trolling us. 

You just went in an entirely different direction than my contemplations. While we're both leaning towards what I would characterize as forms of emotional intelligence, there seem to be some rather large differences.

1 minute ago, dwai said:

But also generally in life, if we depend on others for how we feel about ourselves, we might end up with a very chaotic quality of life. I'll be happy to explore this topic on a separate thread if you want to start one :) 

This sounds like a plan - which will have to wait a day or so, as I've got to get ready for work now. 

Hope you have a good day.

• Like 1

someone on this forum wanted to find out how our humanity got to this point of causing our own destruction....

No one new will stay. only the old. Which in time will wash away.

Edited by welkin
  • Like 1

direct answer to the OP; Is gendao worth having on this forum?

that's too easy, of course he is. Hey gendao!

when encountering anyone anywhere anyhow it is always an opportunity on many levels.

one level is learning. if you've encountered an anyone and havnt learned anything useful, it isn't that anyone's problem, it's yours. own it.

who here is to say what the worth is of anyone else here.

unless you happen to be an omniscient and if you were you would have seen the great worth in an anyone.

a few simple suggestions, if I may, of course I am not a scient, yet i'll chime in here.

don't go blaming others

don't go criticizing others

don't go judging others

don't go weighing the worth of another

on the thread where I think this thing started or hit the trigger point for someone,

I was told to work on my communication. and I agree it needs work. we All have things we can be working on, and doing that probably leaves less time to pronounce decree on another. (trying not to go too far digressing)

what miniscule knowledge I do have on communication is that listening the most important aspect. listen to understand, not to reply with a lightning quick clever criticism. cordial bests mean spirited criticism every time.

take time to consider the message by listening with an open mind and open heart. take time to get to know your fellow bums. bums are wonderful and have tremendous worth. some bums are quite challenging. bum up and accept each marvelous opportunity. why are you here on this site? fair winds set the course for wooden ships out at sea.

final thought, don't take yourself too seriously. take time to get to know your fellow bums, each bum offers great wealth of opportunity.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dwai said:

I'm game for the noodles...though I prefer Beijing style Noodle-soups. I'll pass on the cold beer for a plain club soda with a wedge of lime :D 

Deal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

direct answer to the OP; Is gendao worth having on this forum?

that's too easy, of course he is. Hey gendao!

when encountering anyone anywhere anyhow it is always an opportunity on many levels.

one level is learning. if you've encountered an anyone and havnt learned anything useful, it isn't that anyone's problem, it's yours. own it.

who here is to say what the worth is of anyone else here.

unless you happen to be an omniscient and if you were you would have seen the great worth in an anyone.

a few simple suggestions, if I may, of course I am not a scient, yet i'll chime in here.

don't go blaming others

don't go criticizing others

don't go judging others

don't go weighing the worth of another

on the thread where I think this thing started or hit the trigger point for someone,

I was told to work on my communication. and I agree it needs work. we All have things we can be working on, and doing that probably leaves less time to pronounce decree on another. (trying not to go too far digressing)

what miniscule knowledge I do have on communication is that listening the most important aspect. listen to understand, not to reply with a lightning quick clever criticism. cordial bests mean spirited criticism every time.

take time to consider the message by listening with an open mind and open heart. take time to get to know your fellow bums. bums are wonderful and have tremendous worth. some bums are quite challenging. bum up and accept each marvelous opportunity. why are you here on this site? fair winds set the course for wooden ships out at sea.

final thought, don't take yourself too seriously. take time to get to know your fellow bums, each bum offers great wealth of opportunity.

Very nice post.

I'd like to add my answer to the OP's question:

Is Gendao worth having on this forum?

YES

• Like 2

Or literally just continue being yourself. Seriously, wtf? I don't even think i've read any post from Gendao where he's not acting humble, not processing what's being told to him, not responding directly to any post talking to him, not being respectful in comparison how he's talked down to. The fact that you're being told what you can do, yet you don't even display any action going against what the suggestions are, smh. Why not suggest that at the very people who perform the very actions mentioned. SMFH. #kaliyuga. #confusion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, welkin said:

Or literally just continue being yourself. Seriously, wtf? I don't even think i've read any post from Gendao where he's not acting humble, not processing what's being told to him, not responding directly to any post talking to him, not being respectful in comparison how he's talked down to. The fact that you're being told what you can do, yet you don't even display any action going against what the suggestions are, smh. Why not suggest that at the very people who perform the very actions mentioned. SMFH. #kaliyuga. #confusion.

I'd actually prefer a little less "TRUTH" of the capital letter variety as it refers to his beliefs regarding women, but I won't hold it against the fellows here not affected by misogyny. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, welkin said:

With the energy you spread in every single one of your posts, you must either not have any friends,

He actually grew on me the MORE posts he made .

But that is becasue he isnt a turd like you .  I dint think you would show your face here again after the last mess you made here and the breakdown you had . As usual, you are back for another repeat cycle of the same  ; attack, repent, breakdown, disappear ,  ... return, attack .... and so on .

And interesting on this thread too , a thread that started  because Earl Grey was taunted while he is having a volcano disater .... and you tried to taunt me while I was having a bush fire disaster .

You a sick puppy Welkin

17 hours ago, welkin said:

or if you do, they couldn't care less about your existence. If you have a spouse which i doubt, they must only go through hell, which is clearly represented in your profile picture. WHICH doesn't only reflect how you see yourself, but how your spouse must see you as well.

I see , now it is ....    about his wife  ?   if he has one .

Ooooo she must hate him .  wtf thats about dude ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This forum sure attracts some interesting characters.  And I mean "interesting" in the trying-to--be-polite euphimistic sense of the word.  Still, the question "Is X worth having on this forum?" suggests that The Dao Bums is something it isn´t.   This isn´t a snoddy upper east side co-op.  It´s not Harvard law school. We´re a come-as-you-are spiritual hub.  There´s no application.  In general, nobody is turned away for unworthiness.  Some people are smarter, nicer, and easier to get along with in every way than others -- there´s no question about that.  But (almost) everybody is welcome.

*exceptions very occasionally made for unrepentently vicious trolls and other very mean people 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Motion to close the frickin thread.

People had there say.  Then it got stupid, then it got nasty.  

All its doing now is generating bad will. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, welkin said:

.... The fact that many of us, including myself keep falling into these ways of being is very strange to me. ...

34 minutes ago, Nungali said:

... you are back for another repeat cycle of the same  ; attack, repent, breakdown, disappear ,  ... return, attack .... and so on .

12 hours ago, MegaMind said:

My apologies perhaps you have two harems?

Mhe ... I got two harems '

Spoiler

s-l300.jpg

goats.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I'm reminded of a sign that hangs on the door of a dive bar that I pass on my way to our local noodle shop.

When they open the door to the bar, the sign can be read as you walk by:

No man is entirely useless.

Even a bad man is useful as a good example

of how not to be.

I smile and thank them silently for the reminder that I'm not entirely useless...

Then go devour a bowl of spicy noodles with a frosty cold beer.

I liked this one I saw better ;

"Ladies , got a lot of shopping to do , need  'husband care' while you do it ? leave him  here with us, we will look after him and make him happy. You can call in and pick him up when we your shopping is finished ."

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Motion to close the frickin thread.

People had there say.  Then it got stupid, then it got nasty.  

All its doing now is generating bad will. 

Maybe you need another thread to talk about removing the thread that talked abut removing Gendao ?

:) 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GSmaster said:

Do you even realize this is your perception? 

pretty much everything I write is my perception

1 minute ago, GSmaster said:

Stupid, nasty, bad will, if that is what you feel here, you should go inside yourself and find out what is troubling you so much.

Not blame others or ask to close thread.

you realize this is your perception? 

you should go outsi..  never mind.. 

your invested in this thread, fine, keep it up 

its going great.

and Nungali, posting 6 times in a row.. seems.. overkill..

just my perception..

clap clap out..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1