alchemystical

What are your thoughts on AI and its coming implications?

8 hours ago, CloudHands said:

Pure research :

Higgs' boson

Gravitational waves

Complete model of particle physics

Technology (just as scary as any new tool in a clumsy child's hands) :

DNA based

Nano Tech

Technology power is related to smallness : axe, knife, engine, micro chip, then now nano technologies.

It's goes the same for handling sources of power. Fire, Gas, Nuclear, what's next ?

Solar    ?   ( ie, solar energy  / storage 'revolution'  happened after  the ' nuclear peak' * . )

nuclear_power_plant_construction.jpg?w=6

8 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I thought we were talking about methane bubbles in lake Baikal.  Observed for almost 200 years due to regional warming unrelated to any other kind.  Related to volcanism associated with the Baikal Rift Zone.  The rest is, indeed, beyond the scope of this particular thread.   

Damn !  Then I am having to go research it myself , sounds fascinating .   I started a bit , its the deepest continental rift on the earth ! And there are some hot springs there , that is, on the land as well .   Now it reminds me even more of  Lake Taupo ; not only deep clear water but also hot springs in the area .

Lets see now .....

Ooooo yeah !

DSC_0579.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6_qI_Pa0vSdlvEfKEkqD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRPvEDosHPcwKWJpbSm1M

You even get your own seal butler to deliver drinks and face towels  ! 

315dc2c7255611074ff913779eff1b20.jpg

Billy the Baikal seal

• Like 1

... before TM corrects me   :)   ...

it is actually  THE  freshwater seal  ( the only real one )

The freshwater seals are the species of seals which live exclusively in freshwater bodies.

The only true freshwater seal species is the Baikal seal, locally named Nerpa (Нерпа).

The others are the subspecies or colonies of regular saltwater seals.

So, how the hell did they get in there ?

Location map ;

baikal_map.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zork said:

All 3 are subjects of heated debate.

None of them are huge breakthroughs that will change the lives of the average citizen like say operational deuterium fusion reactors.

Miniaturisation is a sign of technology refinement not a technology breakthrough.

They are scientific facts with huge implication. They are also confirmation of predictions based on theoretical systems : they were expected before we can technologically observe them. Science and technology drive each other and it doesn't look it it stopped.

IQ for once is receding which I agree is of concern...

axe, knife, engine, micro chip, then now nano technologies.

You can link these object to these eras, last is on its beginning which is a game changer :

Stone age

Iron Age

Industrial revolution

Digital Revolution

52 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Solar    ?   ( ie, solar energy  / storage 'revolution'  happened after  the ' nuclear peak' * . )

nuclear_power_plant_construction.jpg?w=6

Maybe ! Could be good if we can learn from the trees :)

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Damn !  Then I am having to go research it myself , sounds fascinating .   I started a bit , its the deepest continental rift on the earth ! And there are some hot springs there , that is, on the land as well .   Now it reminds me even more of  Lake Taupo ; not only deep clear water but also hot springs in the area .

Lets see now .....

Ooooo yeah !

DSC_0579.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6_qI_Pa0vSdlvEfKEkqD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRPvEDosHPcwKWJpbSm1M

You even get your own seal butler to deliver drinks and face towels  ! 

315dc2c7255611074ff913779eff1b20.jpg

Billy the Baikal seal

I applaud your effort.  Aeons ago I cut my translating teeth on methane hydrates as technical translator/writer, and a lot of it was excruciatingly boring, but certainly not this part.  

Now I'll have to reciprocate by researching Lake Taupo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CloudHands said:

They are scientific facts with huge implication.

They aren't. They have some impact but they aren't breakthroughs at all.

Fusion power is a possible breakthrough. Gravity waves won't help us survive the current century.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zork said:

They aren't. They have some impact but they aren't breakthroughs at all.

Fusion power is a possible breakthrough. Gravity waves won't help us survive the current century.

I don't pretend to know the future and my personal choices don't go to technology if I have to clarify ;)

I trust more a replicated science experiment that a one time witness or a video. It took time to go there. Basically that's what I say.

But even science process is not pure science, there are personal/financial interests... Shades of grey ^^

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I applaud your effort.  Aeons ago I cut my translating teeth on methane hydrates as technical translator/writer, and a lot of it was excruciatingly boring, but certainly not this part.  

Now I'll have to reciprocate by researching Lake Taupo.

I just started getting into the geology of Baikal area . fascinating !  But then again, I am a bit of a geonut .

-  I stayed in a Maori camp on the 'other' side of Lake Taupo, the place  parkia (white people) are not supposed to go   ;)     ... by invite, that is .  Its a diff geology than Baikal .

The people in town, on the other side ,  said to leave and come over this side , all the good stuff happens here  :D

HA!  Those  guys ( the Maori on the land on other side ) , took me out on the lake in a jet boat, made me jump in (I didnt want to , I said , I'm gonna 'fall' to the bottom '  ... " get in there ya wuss !   ..... Dont be an eeig *   "  :D

I'm floating on the surface  , looking down , I dont know how far , to the bottom "  Arrrghh !I'm gonna fall ! " and they rolling around with laughter  ,  I  went 'traditional Maori' duck hunting  - with a rat trap  :D  ,  jet boated up the rapids and through  near  boiling water , etc .   Fun !

*  An egg is a New Zealand slang word for someone who is acting like a dumbass, clown or an idiot. However it is used as a nicer way of saying such things. A recent Kiwi movie called "Boy" uses this word several times. It also could be used instead of saying dick. "stop being a dick, bro '

Spoiler

translation may be required   :)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CloudHands said:

But even science process is not pure science, there are personal/financial interests... Shades of grey ^^

Yes and that is why we aren't seeing real progress the last 50 years.

One example was the space shuttle program of NASA. A complete failure that only happened to satisfy contractors.

Edited by Zork

11 hours ago, Zork said:

Yes and that is why we aren't seeing real progress the last 50 years.

One example was the space shuttle program of NASA. A complete failure that only happened to satisfy contractors.

hm, why do you think that ?

3 hours ago, CloudHands said:

hm, why do you think that ?

Because the transition to the space shuttle program reduced the payload that NASA could bring to LEO without reducing cost in tandem. So a return to the Moon and a possible mission to Mars were not possible anyway even if they could find the budget because after Saturn V propulsion systems were retired we lacked the power to send the people to the Moon.

All this happened so that contractors who designed the space shuttle and build it could make a boatload of money from NASA's budget while there was nothing inherently wrong with the Saturn V launcher. The space shuttles were supposed to make LEO travel cheap and efficient and they did the opposite.

The funny thing is while the blueprints for Saturn V still exist, there is no assembly line capable of making it from scratch because the technical know-how was lost.

TL;DR.

The space shuttle program was a leap backwards for NASA and space exploration.

This interview with Donald Hoffman is a compelling exploration of the nature of consciousness, Naive Realism and our perceptual modeling process and Programming/Artificial Intelligence.

They cover some of the potent explorations and findings of Mr. Hoffman's career as revealed in his book The Case Against Reality.

Fascinating conversation.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:58 PM, liminal_luke said:

Belated New Year´s Goal: Memorize a poem a week.

Maybe I´m naive but I think that somone who can recite many poems from memory is unlikely to be unknowingly implanted with a computer chip.

Unless the AI chip is one of poems  :P

But I would say a thread on sharing a line from a poem might be a great topic :)

Let's folks ponder it and sink into our psyche.   My personal range of poets is west and east... I think you are on to something here.  :blush:

• Like 1