alchemystical

What are your thoughts on AI and its coming implications?

10 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Looking at it now  .... WOW  !

frozen-lake-baikal-russia-kristina-makee

02683efc-db70-11e9-80eb-3aa57b6d2433_ima

ygfw0f2ue4g21.jpg

lake-baikal-ice-310.jpg?imgmax=800

lake-baikal-alternate.jpg

Hey Silent Thunder  .... you can ride a train along the lake   :)   ;

Lago-Baikal-Imagen-destacada-2.jpg

those few images say so much more...

than all the words on this forum.

wow. 

just wow.

what a miracle our tiny, moist speck of dust is!

and yet... perfectly ordinary

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Nungali said:

In the Altai ?

Siberia , Like Australia, has varied landscapes that many do not expect , It aint all snow and tundra folks ;

s150216004.jpg

And most of Siberia is taiga, not tundra.  5,100,000 square miles of forest.  To overpopulate it would be quite a feat...  but of course we usually (or should I say always) destroy the forest first, overpopulate later.  No destruction of forests, no overpopulation.  Weird, huh?  Never any overpopulation until the forests are cut down, burned out, or poisoned, but chiefly all of the above.

siberian-taiga-aerial-view-319166.jpg.ca26d3f66a9b96be97e8cae7954ac980.jpg  

I wonder if GSMaster meant he lives there as a hermit in the mountains or was just kidding.  My dad climbed the highest peak of the Altai mountains, the Belukha, in his youth, but even though some traditions maintain that Shambala or Shangri-La is located exactly there and not in the Himalayas and not in Tibet as other traditions assert, he never met any hermits there...  maybe they were all in hiding, which would be understandable, since they are, you know, hermits. 

But then the internet access?..  @GSmaster , care to elaborate?..

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Looking at it now  .... WOW  !

frozen-lake-baikal-russia-kristina-makee

02683efc-db70-11e9-80eb-3aa57b6d2433_ima

ygfw0f2ue4g21.jpg

lake-baikal-ice-310.jpg?imgmax=800

lake-baikal-alternate.jpg

Hey Silent Thunder  .... you can ride a train along the lake   :)   ;

Lago-Baikal-Imagen-destacada-2.jpg

The lake in the first photo has massive amounts of frozen methane hydrate bubbles. Not a comforting image!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Have you seen westworld?

It is one of the best showing how robots (humans allegory) don't have a free will.

I have not. 

Though it's been referenced a few times in very compelling conversations over the years by friends.  I'm intrigued and may give it a shot when I'm in a watching mood.  I'm put in mind of the Tarkovsky films of the mid/late 70's.  Stalker and Solaris.

Each delves deeply into the notions of automated response, consciousness as reflected in reality perception, our deepest subliminal impulses and how they relate to our surface notions of morality.

Tarkovsky was such a master of atmosphere and dialogue as a sprinkling of detail on wave of atmospheric influence.

ack... I'm monologuing... lol at least he's Russion and deep... lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I have not. 

Though it's been referenced a few times in very compelling conversations over the years by friends.  I'm intrigued and may give it a shot when I'm in a watching mood.  I'm put in mind of the Tarkovsky films of the mid/late 70's.  Stalker and Solaris.

Each delves deeply into the notions of automated response, consciousness as reflected in reality perception, our deepest subliminal impulses and how they relate to our surface notions of morality.

Tarkovsky was such a master of atmosphere and dialogue as a sprinkling of detail on wave of atmospheric influence.

ack... I'm monologuing... lol at least he's Russion and deep... lol

And as synchronicity would have it, I came across this quote from Tarkovsky just yesterday -- a visionary, he wrote this in an article published in 1984, long before the AI came close to being on the general population's mind:

"We live in a wrong world. Man is born free and fearless. But our history consists in the desire to hide and protect ourselves from nature, which more and more makes us cram close together. We communicate not because we like to communicate, not to enjoy communication, but not to be so scared. This civilization is erroneous if our relations are built on such a principle. All technology, all the so-called technological progress that accompanies history, essentially creates prostheses -- it lengthens our hands, sharpens our eyesight, and allows us to move very quickly. And this is of fundamental importance. We are now moving several times faster than in the last century. But we did not become happier from this. Our personality, our personnalite, so to speak, came into conflict with society. We do not develop harmoniously, our spiritual development is so behind that we are already victims of an avalanche of technological growth. We cannot emerge from this stream, even if we wanted to. As a result, when humanity had a need for new energy for technological development, when it discovered this energy, it was morally not ready to use it for its own benefit. We are like savages who don’t know what to do with an electron microscope. Maybe hammer nails, demolish walls? In any case, it becomes clear that we are slaves of this system, this machine, which is no longer possible to stop."

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

Satellite?

I am just powerful enough to go out in the internet using my mind instead of new age technical mumbo jumbo.

I guess this answers my question.  

3 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

And as synchronicity would have it, I came across this quote from Tarkovsky just yesterday -- a visionary, he wrote this in an article published in 1984, long before the AI came close to being on the general population's mind:

"We live in a wrong world. Man is born free and fearless. But our history consists in the desire to hide and protect ourselves from nature, which more and more makes us cram close together. We communicate not because we like to communicate, not to enjoy communication, but not to be so scared. This civilization is erroneous if our relations are built on such a principle. All technology, all the so-called technological progress that accompanies history, essentially creates prostheses -- it lengthens our hands, sharpens our eyesight, and allows us to move very quickly. And this is of fundamental importance. We are now moving several times faster than in the last century. But we did not become happier from this. Our personality, our personnalite, so to speak, came into conflict with society. We do not develop harmoniously, our spiritual development is so behind that we are already victims of an avalanche of technological growth. We cannot emerge from this stream, even if we wanted to. As a result, when humanity had a need for new energy for technological development, when it discovered this energy, it was morally not ready to use it for its own benefit. We are like savages who don’t know what to do with an electron microscope. Maybe hammer nails, demolish walls? In any case, it becomes clear that we are slaves of this system, this machine, which is no longer possible to stop."

wow.

just wow...

synchronicity... years ago became a daily companion

yet today, on this site... this is whopper number 3!

thank you so much for sharing

timing... relevance... layers...

wow

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GSmaster said:

Satellite?

I am just powerful enough to go out in the internet using my mind instead of new age technical mumbo jumbo.

If hermits don't want to be found they will never be found. There are spells you put on territory making everyone avoid you.

Like hanging these up on the track in   ?

Berkerut+merokok+kepala+musuh+dibunuh.jp

• Haha 1

Lake%20Baikal.jpg?height=299&width=400

It reminds me of Lake Taupo in NZ , looking over the side of a boat is like looking over the side from the top of a skyscraper. 

Swimming is weird ,  floating on the surface and looking down feels like you are going to fall .

Since you all liked the pics so much .... I like the ice  ;

Lake-Baikal-Russia-russia-41580314-750-6

fbcc14f5b982a0498cd5759f80be89a3.jpg

sunset-through-ice-cave-lake-baikal-russ

1_Baikalskiy-led-2_den-1_1529063403.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There's a number of varieties of fish in Lake Baikal (a schoolmate living there tells me) no one knows the sublime taste of who doesn't catch it himself or herself or else hangs out on the shore with someone who does.  This fish, bless its fishy soul, can't be exploited commercially, because it has to be cooked and eaten right on the spot -- its texture is so tender that it completely disintegrates within thirty minutes of being caught.  I often wonder how many sublime human experiences we miss out on by mass producing inferior ones.

The only fish from Baikal I ate that is sturdy enough to be smoked and transported, omul', was the tastiest thing I ever had in my life.  It's impossible to describe taste of course -- but if taste was color, it would be like a peacock's tail flashing open in your mouth.    

• Like 5

On 1/18/2020 at 11:01 PM, Taomeow said:

Had to look up what "Altered Carbon" means.  Hmm...  never saw it, looks like another stolen idea, fictionized.  Been happening since I was a kid.  Has it ever happened to anyone else?  You think of something in the privacy of your own mind -- and before you know it it's a fracking blockbuster?..

There is a saying that all art is plagiarizing someone else. :rolleyes:

AI could be dangerous but if it allows us to go interstellar within the next 100 years we should go for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zork said:

There is a saying that all art is plagiarizing someone else. :rolleyes:

AI could be dangerous but if it allows us to go interstellar within the next 100 years we should go for it.

Going interstellar once we're done fouling up planet Earth must be very inspiring to every kid who was ever asked by mom to clean his room and didn't feel like it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Going interstellar once we're done fouling up planet Earth must be very inspiring to every kid who was ever asked by mom to clean his room and didn't feel like it.  

26660774._SX540_.jpg.3e577c5cf37d981ab46d169cf2e0b4b1.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ocean Form said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-plans-1-million-people-to-mars-by-2050-2020-1

"Umm who gave you permission to carry our water off world?"

It's not our water, it's theirs, according to Nestle CEO Peter Brabeck-Letmathe.  He maintains that access to water is not a human right.  Moreover, in the 2005 documentary called We Feed the World he characterized the view that human beings have a right to water as “extreme.” 

I think what it practically means is that, once privatizing and monetizing water is complete, any human being in need of water who can't afford to buy it will eventually be classified as an extremist and dealt with accordingly.  No worries, Elon, everyone who matters is on your side.  Take as much as you want.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Whataboutism???

Seriously???<_<

12 hours ago, Ocean Form said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-plans-1-million-people-to-mars-by-2050-2020-1

"Umm who gave you permission to carry our water off world?"

Whoever wrote the article doesn't know the difference between a spaceship and a starship.

What EM is vying for is not achievable and moot point. In situ water exploitation is cheaper than bringing so much water there.

Until we see some kind of factory in LEO producing goods from extraplanetary materials, colonisation of Mars en masse is not going to happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zork said:

Do you use deflection much?

No, sometimes I use it when I feel a conversation on a particular subject with a particular individual is likely to go nowhere.  This preliminary conclusion relies on the assessment of the incoming data toward probabilistically predicting the outcome.  A deflection might be used in order to avoid an outcome deemed undesirable -- e.g. a pointless debate where I won't be heard.  However, I didn't use it in my original comment on your starship premise.  To elaborate:

I didn't use "whateverism" or a "deflection," I used an analogy.  An analogy is one of the literary tropes.  A literary trope is the use of figurative language, via words, phrases or images, toward artistic effect.  It can be a figure of speech, a rhetorical device, a metaphor, an analogy, and so on.  It is plain English with a creative twist, in other words.  I'm prone to creative twists, I write sci-fi and poetry. 

Hope this answers your question directly enough.

I'd want to see the greening of a couple of deserts before spending a whole lotta money on Mars. 

And who knows, maybe AI is a tool that can do it.  Autonomous solar machines, to plant seeds, water them, dig the trenches, irrigate.. learn what works and keep doing it with endless patience.  There was a Robert Zelazny short story about such machines that was very good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Form said:

What is the difference between a spaceship and a starship? A starship can go to other solar systems?

Exactly. Starship means ship with interstellar capabilities.

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

No, sometimes I use it when I feel a conversation on a particular subject with a particular individual is likely to go nowhere.  This preliminary conclusion relies on the assessment of the incoming data toward probabilistically predicting the outcome.  A deflection might be used in order to avoid an outcome deemed undesirable -- e.g. a pointless debate where I won't be heard.  However, I didn't use it in my original comment on your starship premise.  To elaborate:

I didn't use "whateverism" or a "deflection," I used an analogy.  An analogy is one of the literary tropes.  A literary trope is the use of figurative language, via words, phrases or images, toward artistic effect.  It can be a figure of speech, a rhetorical device, a metaphor, an analogy, and so on.  It is plain English with a creative twist, in other words.  I'm prone to creative twists, I write sci-fi and poetry. 

Hope this answers your question directly enough.

You dragged the conversation there. I never mentioned anything about the earth's resources because it goes without saying that we won't survive building a starship and going somewhere else at this rate.

So the deflection was completely inappropriate because it followed a "whataboutism" of "what about the depleting of the Earth? Because people who want to reach other stars obviously don't care about the environment and want another virgin world to pillage."

It goes without saying that the above, in the absense of evidence of the connection between wanting to go interstellar and wanting to pillage another world is pure whataboutism.

• Confused 1