Sign in to follow this  
alchemystical

Best resource on Mudras?

Would prefer something with a bit more substance than "Hold this to get this" as I'm wondering about the underlying process, what is actually going on in the mindbody to create said changes whilst performing them? Has anyone encountered such a resource along the way?

I remember reading once that the origin of Mudras was from the sages of yore who got so adept at observing their awareness that they spontaneously started forming the shapes based purely on intuitive insight in the moment and it was only on reflection after, in regular awareness, that they began to document the uses which they shared but I'm still seeking something definitive as this area seems to be quite brushed over in contrast to say the minutiae of TCM.

Thanks

• Like 1

I would recommend DGS. Sifu Matsuo teaches trough dvd_s and has a lot of materials on this topic.

And yes, DGS has an alphabet for this method/s, exactly what you asked for.

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only viewed 1 DGS video on the kuji-in, and I think there's quite a few more... maybe @Jox would list/describe his favorite/s?  So, I only got a small DGS sampling, and maybe I'm talking out of my ass, here...  the description of what-finger-produced-what&why I found to be helpful, but a little basic, over-simplified for what I was hungry for.  (Maybe the DGS videos I've not seen on the topic fill in considerably.)

On 1/14/2020 at 11:00 AM, alchemystical said:

Would prefer something with a bit more substance than "Hold this to get this" as I'm wondering about the underlying process, what is actually going on in the mindbody to create said changes whilst performing them? Has anyone encountered such a resource along the way?

Yup.  I've been there.

I was looking for detailed technical clear descriptions of "why?" and internal mechanics.  Clearly a detailed knowledge of Chinese medical channels would be very helpful... essential, even.  ... but there are things that are produced by the finger-knitting mudras that that knowledge alone would not fully explain, I'm pretty sure.  I finally came to the conclusion that:

1. this is a book that has yet to be written (at least in English) and would be a major scholarly task.  If someone else does it, I will applaud.  :D

2. the 3 or 4 books I've bought/read on it ... I wasn't happy with.  Yeah, they contributed something, but weren't at the level of detail / clarity that I find really satisfying.

3. Though very often I chew on these esoteric topics for years & years until I understand, I let this one go and just concluded that I was happy with the results that the finger-knitting mudras produced and that I don't need to know the nitty gritty details on this one.  I'm happy with just the doing&results of kuji-in, and a few other finger macrame patterns, lol.  :)

I've posted this before, but here's a pdf of a gazillion finger-knitting mudras with drawings and next-to-no explanation.  Could be fun/helpful if you are inclined to progressively explore.

https://johndaoproductions.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/finger-knittingmudras.pdf

cheers,

Keith

p.s.

And there is that introductory essay on finger-knitting mudras that I wrote (link below) that gives some clear and relevant Chinese medical theory, but only in a general sense.  Basically, that

1. the qi is very dynamic as you get towards the ends (fingers and toes), and so it’s a very skillful area to change/refine qi

2. If you treat the end (ex. Acupuncture an acupoint on/near a finger-tip) it tends to activate the whole channel

Those two theoretical points are very clear in Chinese medicine, and has big implications re: the effectiveness of both finger-knitting style mudras and utilization of the hands’ qi sphere.

Short essays on both (mudras & sphere) at my little (free) wordpress site:

JohnDaoProductions.wordpress.com

and yet another p.p.s.

Sifu Matsuo has quite a few finger-knitting mudras sprinkled through his system, with really astonishing appropriateness and results.  For instance, in one video he teaches a couple of different kinds of squats, and he shows the mudras that go with the squats!  That you do while in that position.  And well, slap me stupid, if that specific mudra doesn’t make *that* squat easier!  And he’s accurate with the placement of various mudras for various practices throughout his system.  His ability to give the right practices, and the right tips, its just freaky.  Especially if you’ve spent a few decades banging your head against the wall trying to work some stuff out, lol.

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 5

"I was looking for detailed technical clear descriptions of "why?" and internal mechanics" - exactly that. This info seems to be ridiculously sparse on the ground with so many monkey see monkey do approaches and very little shared knowledge on the inner workings of the process, the why behind the how. Inquiring mind want to know.

I intend to check out Matsuo as this is my first time hearing of him and there is a huge thread on here about him to look through but it seems odd that the biomechanics of this entire area is just skimmed over, especially with the net and how people like to find niches and pimp them for all they are worth.

• Like 2

On 17. 1. 2020 at 8:33 PM, Trunk said:

I only viewed 1 DGS video on the kuji-in, and I think there's quite a few more... maybe @Jox would list/describe his favorite/s? 

Yes, I have a few kuji kiri videos by DGS and each of them is a gold by itself.

There are also Kwan Yin, Varjasattva, whole body mudras ...

My advice for interested guys. "Pick up" one video. Study & practice. If you resonate with the method, "pick up" another one. Repeat ...

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuji Kiri Mastery vol.1

Sifu Matsuo explains the the main concepts for each finger, hand, single and double hand mudras, zero points, chakras/channels. Then 9 seals one by one ... 

Edited by Jox
  • Like 2

Kuji-in is from ninjutsu and esoteric Japanese Buddhism. Stephen Hayes is a ninjutsu master and has put out an excellent DVD on this, although it is a bit light on the details. I'd stay away from stuff by Maha Vajra, which seems like it's a system he invented by himself. On the whole kuji-in is kind of like a system of exorcism/protection, at least that is how I've seen it used.

Regarding the other mudra dvds by Chris Matsuo, I haven't seen his stuff but I've read he borrowed a lot from Jin Shin Jyutsu, which is a system of healing through mudras. Thankfully there's a pretty affordable book which lays it all out. I own it but have never got around to reading it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Touch-Healing-Energizing-Body-Spirit/dp/0553377841/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=jin+shin+jyutsu&qid=1579898363&sprefix=Jin+shin&sr=8-4

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this