Sign in to follow this  
Earl Grey

Volcanoooooo

https://www.rappler.com/nation/249138-phivolcs-advisory-taal-volcano-status-january-13-2020

So my whole area in the city of Metro Manila is covered in ash, and I'm headed out to buy some of those N95 masks. 

Not sure which song to play sardonically as I deal with some of the more bemusing things that start 2020 for me now, but here are a couple describing where I am (The Ring of Fire) and the phenomenon itself. 

One good thing to take from this country's culture is people love to use humor to deal with serious events going on, from martial law to SARS to typhoons to now volcanic eruptions.

• Like 9

Okay .

Our bushfire crisis seems to have settled down now  ,  so  .....

over to you   E.G. 

• Like 3

20200113-taal-volcano-lava_CABC8112D5924

" Phivolcs says 'weak' lava fountains emerged from the Taal Volcano ... "       ^ THAT  is a 'weak' lava fountain ? !  :o

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Okay .

Our bushfire crisis seems to have settled down now  ,  so  .....

over to you   E.G. 

9 minutes ago, Nungali said:

20200113-taal-volcano-lava_CABC8112D5924

" Phivolcs says 'weak' lava fountains emerged from the Taal Volcano ... "       ^ THAT  is a 'weak' lava fountain ? !  :o

Remember the government here loves downplaying crises because it makes them look incompetent when they can’t handle it.

Sadly, it consistently shows exactly how incompetent they are when they disregard it...

• Like 5

Like the kangaroo Island mayor saying although there is a big bushfire there  .... 'we are open for business ! '   - tourism biz he meant - 'there is even a big cruise ship docking tomorrow' .

next day  or so ;

tourists evacuated   -

'luxury' resort  ;

fb0d46f16942518fc999243736bd925e

11841134-16x9-700x394.jpg

Good luck !   Keep us informed .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

image.png.d6e12c18c995876b225b8806dfc0a564.png

Hey, this is pretty good! When I can head to Chinatown or procure the ingredients, I'll make this! Thank you!

• Like 3

Aaaand it can get worse potentially.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/249263-phivolcs-advisory-taal-volcano-status-january-14-2020

My area has less ashes in the air, but we did have a little rain too.

Can’t buy masks because they are all sold out, and only one area, Manila proper (as opposed to the greater Metropolitan area), has the city government handed out masks to residents.

So while some don’t cover their faces because they don’t know and don’t care (as the government has avoided advising cautions), others simply can’t buy masks and prefer to hide in malls.

Five years ago, I worked for a clean air NGO that is funded by the Asian Development Bank, and all the visitors from Germany to even China noted that there’s a degree of avoidance that the government from

the state level to the city level where they avoid being accountable or avoid the subject entirely.

The air is bad enough with PM2.5, but with the haze and ashes? If I had a chance to move my dogs and cats elsewhere, I would. If the gods of wealth smile upon me, then I will move and set up mechanisms in place to help the stray dogs and cats who don’t even have the benefit of shelter from the air problems here.

• Like 4

That's a very cold herbal formula, hope you don't have to take it for too long! Then again... better'n not being able to breathe. 

In Beijing a few of my friends built these. Very effective, very cheap. You said you can't get masks, but maybe you can find those HEPA filters at a local hardware store and attach them to the fans I'm guessing you've already got due to the climate you live in. While they won't help you while you're outdoors, they'll vastly improve the air quality indoors (if you keep the windows shut). I had a different kind of inexpensive HEPA filter in my home in Beijing and highly recommend it. The difference is really noticeable!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, moment said:

Can you get your hands on silk, honeycombed cardboard and charcoal?

Charcoal and silk, yes; honeycombed cardboard--probably not as easily.

29 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Charcoal and silk, yes; honeycombed cardboard--probably not as easily.

Coffee filters, duct tape? Also, to be clear, it needs to be activated charcoal and not barbecue charcoal.

Edited by moment

12 minutes ago, moment said:

Coffee filters, duct tape? Also, to be clear, it needs to be activated charcoal and not barbecue charcoal.

activated is easy to get here. Coffee filters and duct tape too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

activated is easy to get here. Coffee filters and duct tape too.

Cool! coat the inside of the coffee filters lightly with a non-toxic, breathable, sticky substance (honey, syrup, etc).  Sprinkle the activated charcoal lightly and evenly over the sticky substance. Bind the edges of two filters together with the duct tape (charcoal inward). Press the filters tightly to your nose and face and breathe deeply to check for airflow (if not enough, lighten the load). Then bind the edges of the filters to the inside of a silk scarf, bandana, etc..(the duct tape probably won't work on the silk, you may have to sew it). Fit tightly to your nose and mouth.  Make several of them. Check every few hours, when the filter starts turning medium to dark brown, discard and replace.

Take care and be well

Edited by moment
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Walker said:

In Beijing a few of my friends built these. Very effective, very cheap.

Which reminded me -- old-fashioned masks were made out of cheesecloth, and in school they taught us how to make them.  They are reusable and washable multiple times, so you only need to make a couple.

f56b02be42c250.jpg.11a84de2505d0e982f512d8069e30501.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5

So it can get worse.... 24,000 evacuees, more earthquakes coming, and so on...

https://www.rappler.com/nation/249357-phivolcs-advisory-taal-volcano-status-january-15-2020

But at least people are rescuing the poor pets left behind by some residents. I'll never go anywhere without my dogs either. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/249361-video-volunteers-rescue-pets-taal-volcano-eruption-january-2020

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

So it can get worse.... 24,000 evacuees, more earthquakes coming, and so on...

https://www.rappler.com/nation/249357-phivolcs-advisory-taal-volcano-status-january-15-2020

But at least people are rescuing the poor pets left behind by some residents. I'll never go anywhere without my dogs either. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/249361-video-volunteers-rescue-pets-taal-volcano-eruption-january-2020

Jesus H!  Take care!  I am glad that you and your dogs have each other. I think about you several times a day now.

• Like 1

Wow, it's staggering...

between our recent local wild fires (now all out), the apocalypthic burning of Oz and your volcanic eruptions, I'm vividly reminded that even when we have our inner life together and do all we can to train diligently and cultivate vitality and peace internally, the outer life can disassemble so quickly...

we are so small in the framework of life... yet our minds  and hearts can expand so.

ironies abound lately.

holding space for you all in mind and heart.

Be well friend. 

• Like 6

If anyone would like to donate or volunteer to help evacuees, farmers, and animals, I will provide resources later. Rappler's link should have some information too for the animals at least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

the majestic sublime awesomeness of nature gets our attention sometimes

flip.jpg

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this