Heartbreak

How to Meditate while doing anything? - Lying Down Meditation vs Sitting Up Meditation vs Walking Meditation

What are the differences between Lying Down Meditation vs Sitting Up Meditation vs Walking Meditation?

Everytime I tried Sitting Up Meditations, I keep experiencing back difficulties just a few minutes into the Sitting Up Meditations. Then I tried Lying Down Meditations but on too many occasions, I just fell asleep.

I live in a small apartment room and there really isn't enough space for a chair. Someone told me that doing anything can be a meditation, even walking can be a meditation. Even washing the dishes or reading a book or watching the movies or painting or even typing out your posts in this forum can be a meditation as well.

Your thoughts on this matter?

If you want to try sitting meditation again, I do it with my back against the door for support. Sometimes I do this cross-legged, other times sitting on my knees, and occasionally even straight-legged.

I'm not sure what most consider "walking meditation", but in my own practice I often take walks and just observe. It's the same principle as "ignoring thoughts", I don't let myself think about what I'm experiencing on the walks, I just walk. If an observation hits me, I "file it away" and then think more on it later if it seems significant, if not, I just trace the thought back to it's source and move on. Some of my more meaningful observations have come from these walks, and I love the rifling through my insights after the fact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartbreak said:

What are the differences between Lying Down Meditation vs Sitting Up Meditation vs Walking Meditation?

Everytime I tried Sitting Up Meditations, I keep experiencing back difficulties just a few minutes into the Sitting Up Meditations. Then I tried Lying Down Meditations but on too many occasions, I just fell asleep.

I live in a small apartment room and there really isn't enough space for a chair. Someone told me that doing anything can be a meditation, even walking can be a meditation. Even washing the dishes or reading a book or watching the movies or painting or even typing out your posts in this forum can be a meditation as well.

It's easiest for most people to recognize the meaning of meditation when the body, speech, and mind are quiet.

Otherwise, it is too subtle to notice and literally everything is a distraction.

You can stand in one place or sit in any stable and comfortable position (floor, meditation cushion, chair, toilet, couch, bed, whatever)... 

There will be some aches and pains, it's not a gimme... It takes adjustment, tolerance, openness, and fortitude. 

Mind doesn't want to release control, body is not used to so much attention, inner voices are relentless...

When you find the right way of resting the mind and body you will identify less with the currents and more with the underlying, stable presence.Then with practice, we can be stable with any activity.

The teachings say to start practicing with supportive activity (prayer, mantra, circumambulation...), then progress to neutral activity (walking, eating), and finally challenging activity (extreme emotion, conflict...).

Start easy when your ability to rest in authentic presence is like a small candle. 

Challenge yourself gradually and eventually your presence is like a campfire and ultimately a bonfire, fed by the challenges of life. 

You can even reach a point where practice continues in dream and deep sleep - eventually into death.

Most important, start with an accessible and proven method and the support of a credible teacher and loving community.

And remember, life is very short; we don't have too much time to fuck around.

• Like 4

Practice this method for a few days without fail. Then apply the technique when you're seated, standing or lying down. If you find it of interest and try it out, please do post you're thoughts on this *after* trying it out sincerely. What you're looking for is easily attainable if you can empty your proverbial cup :) 

Spoiler

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 4:03 AM, Heartbreak said:

Lying down can remind the body of sleeping and  ..... zzzzzzzzzzzz .  But if one  can control that, lying down can enable one to 'release the body' more .... for some .

Personally I found walking meditation very effective, for certain ends , and sitting for others . Walking for the more 'active types' of meditation, seeking a specific  result  - sitting for the more free form, waiting for whatever results .

Riding motorcycle meditation I found good to  - I would do my morning pentragram meditations  while riding to work and also v good for practising 'spherical awareness' .

I live in a small apartment room and there really isn't enough space for a chair.

Wot ?  

Dude ! 

:(   

Someone told me that doing anything can be a meditation, even walking can be a meditation.

In itself ?   It can be   IF you are aware and mindful .

Even washing the dishes or reading a book or watching the movies or painting or even typing out your posts in this forum can be a meditation as well.

Ditto .   I am sus on the movie one though ... maybe it could be a mediation on  how the movie 'artists' fools the senses and  awareness .

There are many different types of meditation.  With different intentions and different ends. It depends on what you seek - the basic first classification of types of meditation , for me , is  neutral, active or passive  .

The Type of meditation you want to do depends on your need.

On 5.1.2020 at 6:03 PM, Heartbreak said:

Someone told me that doing anything can be a meditation, even walking can be a meditation

And that is exactly right. it depends on the mindset you have while doing some things and letting go whilst doing so. 

For example, the best way i can meditate is with a blade in hand and a whetstone in front of me. 

Also my way to work while walking in the right mindset gets close to a good meditation....

Well as i said, i believe the right mindset is all you need.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2020 at 6:03 PM, Heartbreak said:

I used to experience back pain. Sitting meditation stretch many muscle/tendons around lower back/pelvic areas so any tension will become obvious and even painful.

Bad/Good news ? If you do nothing it's going to be worse.

BUT stretching and observing (admitting) how you are set up can probably help/solve your issue.

But it depends on what cause the back pain muscular tension ? misalignment ? what kind ? how serious is it? these question require a professional examination to be answered properly.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:03 AM, Heartbreak said:

For sitting its good to have your butt raised a few inches up on a stiff pillow, or two rolled up towels.  In the beginning its fine to have the your back against a wall for support.  Lastly, a little discomfort is alright, sit through it, it gets easier. 

On the internet there are many guided meditations of all types.  Trippy, Taoist, shamanic, sexual, productive.. They are good to try while lying down.  Google guided meditation or put it into youtube.   See if any strike your fancy.  They can be a great source of peace.  For example here's one-

We live in a sedentary society.....so it is easy for our back and other muscles to get locked up. Yet we only tend to notice the "locks" when we try different postures. Sun Salutations are a great tool for unlocking the tissues. By doing so it will also allow for easier flow of energy. Tension blocks chi. 

There are many different types of meditation forms and postures. There are even types of sleeping/dreaming meditations. All have there value. If there is no room for chairs then you can get a Zafu for your floor or bed. Lots of tricks available. 

When it comes to postures themselves....like a mudra different postures align the body in certain ways and thus trigger different responses and flows. Practicing being physically aligned is key to all forms of spiritual training. 

Someone told me that doing anything can be a meditation, even walking can be a meditation. Even washing the dishes or reading a book or watching the movies or painting or even typing out your posts in this forum can be a meditation as well.

Hi Heartbreak, 

I was living in a small apartment myself when I received the following as a gift. It covers some of the concerns you've raised regarding your own practice, and may be a gateway to what you are seeking:

https://www.dharmacrafts.com/025cd/insight-meditation-2-cds?q=Vipassana

This article gives an introduction to Vipassana if you haven't already had one, and provides some brief instruction on engaging in walking meditation as support for sitting meditation. (Highlighting short walkways which may be more in tune with your present environment.)

https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-vipassana-insight-meditation/

Recognition and acknowledgment of sensation, without "falling into" the sensation or negating it is a "doorway." However, this is one of those things you'll have to balance and find for yourself through practice. 

On 1/5/2020 at 12:03 PM, Heartbreak said:

Everytime I tried Sitting Up Meditations, I keep experiencing back difficulties just a few minutes into the Sitting Up Meditations.

Did you happen to see this exceptionally informative post by @Walker? Perhaps the information could be of benefit in addressing some of the back difficulties you are experiencing. 

As it was explained to me, the back should rest like a stack of saucers; the details and images in the above post while not as pithy, seem soo much clearer than an image of small plates resting in a cupboard. Thank you for this gem of a post Walker.

15 hours ago, ilumairen said:

As it was explained to me, the back should rest like a stack of saucers; the details and images in the above post while not as pithy, seem soo much clearer than an image of small plates resting in a cupboard. Thank you for this gem of a post Walker.

_/\_

Always happy to share Gokhale's book! I really think it's a masterpiece when it comes to understanding what a healthy back might look like. I have been keeping her advice in mind for years whether washing dishes, doing manual labor, practicing martial arts, shaving, sitting to type or meditate, battling Annunaki colonizers while riding on the back of a magical dragon, or bending over to work on a patient on a massage table (this one is really important, since I and many other bodyworkers/acupuncturists have gotten hurt right in the middle of trying to fix other people's backs, thanks to a lack of good instruction about how to stand and bend while working!). 

When I had questions I was given the stack of coins/saucers analogy for years, while many other teachers didn't even have that to offer, and kinda just vaguely said "sit naturally." I think that the stacked saucers analogy, well, sucks. First of all, who would stack saucers to have several pronounced, natural, necessary curves; who would imagine that a stack of saucers is a good place upon which to balance a huge, heavy ball? Secondly, what about the human body is like a bunch of inanimate ceramic? I think one of Gokhale's contributions is in treating the human body as a human body, taking into account its complexities and the way the "design" of different parts of the body interrelate, especially to and via the spine. 

The only thing I think the book is lacking is a discussion of qi, the development of which can naturally correct spinal injuries and add a certain type of "strength" that "comes from within," i.e., as one develops qi one may come to feel that when seated in meditation one is almost "suspended" by what can feel like magnetic fields; my experience is that when this starts to happen, one does not feel like one is using one's musculature to sit straight (although, to be certain, the musculature is never not important if you're maintaining any posture other than couch potato), and a sense of effortlessness can arise. That's not a criticism of Gokhale's book, as this is really a whole other can of worms, and not especially relevant to 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back.

• Like 2

https://www.goldenflowermeditation.com/the_method/

I am going to try deep diaphragmatic breathing 24/7 especially during the night time when lying down.

I noticed that when I get stressed or too absorbed in doing anything else other than breathing like editing this post for eg, I would forget my breathing.

Edited by Heartbreak