Nicole Edwards

Kunlun & happy new year

Hey everyone, happy new year! :)

I'm a graduate student in Switzerland and working on my thesis. My topic is Mount Kunlun, which is referred to in many Daoist texts (like in neidan). However, I would like to know of Mount Kunlun is still important in Chinese Daoist practice today (or if it has become more of a old tradition that is referred to now and then).

Does anyone happen to know if Kunlun is still important is some ritual practices today?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Nicole

• Like 4

Happy New Year Nicole!

I received training in a Daoist system known as Kunlun Xian Zong Pai.

My teacher is from Taiwan where he studied with Master Liu Pei Zhong.

Master Liu passed away around 1977 but his temple is still on Taiwan and I believe there is still an active community of practitioners there. 

The temple is called JIng Xiu Gong 靜修宮

Here is a link to some photos of the temple -

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x3442ac16de50a2f7:0x4d1e3b254932c36a!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipN2rzAFnv129W3Dz5puE4X7AUj0AqkZVOzw3Nd0%3Dw426-h320-k-no!5s静俢宮+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipN2rzAFnv129W3Dz5puE4X7AUj0AqkZVOzw3Nd0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiHs57B8-LmAhWjtVkKHeYqCw4QoiowCnoECBcQBg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hi Steve 

Thanks so much for the information, I will certainly check it out!

When you received your training in Kunlun Xian Zong Pai, did they happen tell you anything about the significance of Kunlun mountain, or the mythology relating to Mount Kunlun the Queen Mother of the West (Xiwangmu 西王母)?

Hey Nichole!

Thank you for your New Year greeting.

Happy and Peaceful New Year to you too.

☮️

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:41 PM, Nicole Edwards said:

Hi Steve 

Thanks so much for the information, I will certainly check it out!

When you received your training in Kunlun Xian Zong Pai, did they happen tell you anything about the significance of Kunlun mountain, or the mythology relating to Mount Kunlun the Queen Mother of the West (Xiwangmu 西王母)?

l

Hi Nicole,

No, we did not get into any discussion on the significance of the mountain range itself or the associated deities.

I was told that the practices originated in the Kunlun region.

The name of the system translates to something like 'In the Footsteps of the Kunlun Immortals' school.

Beyond that my instruction was all about practice and experience with very little attention to theory.

PS - Ralis - this system has nothing to do with Max Christensen.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, steve said:

l

Hi Nicole,

No, we did not get into any discussion on the significance of the mountain range itself or the associated deities.

I was told that the practices originated in the Kunlun region.

The name of the system translates to something like 'In the Footsteps of the Kunlun Immortals' school.

Beyond that my instruction was all about practice and experience with very little attention to theory.

PS - Ralis - this system has nothing to do with Max Christensen.

I know that, but there are lurkers here who jump on anything to promote their system or agenda.

2 hours ago, ralis said:

I know that, but there are lurkers here who jump on anything to promote their system or agenda.

Or to criticize...

Fortunately, IMO, Max seems to elicit little discussion anymore.

37 minutes ago, steve said:

Or to criticize...

Fortunately, IMO, Max seems to elicit little discussion anymore.

Too bad, I'd love to hear about someone who's done his seminars lately.  See what its like, what might have changed over 20 years.  

to the OP.  Kunlun mountains are legendary for the different cultivation schools that sprung up around there.  I forget if it was Kunlun that was won by a Taoist in a contest (card game?) against the emperor. 

Happy New Year Nichole.

You'll probably find the staff of the China & Inner Asia Section, Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at SOAS to be a somewhat more academically rigorous line of inquiry than this forum's membership.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/cia/staff/